What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Coal Town Liquors KCSB, Barrel #2.

I was on business in the coalfields today, and stopped by a friends store while in the area.  His private selection (13 yrs old) was in, so I came back home with a bottle in hand..  

The current situation?  In the process of getting acquainted with it.:D

Enjoying a healthy pour of CEHT BP. I had a pour of this 5 days in a row now, that is, every night since I opened the bottle. This kind of dedication is a first for me, my open bottles usually sit around for months. I suppose I really like this one then.

Currently enjoying my first ever bottle of Russel's Reserve Single Barrel.  I had tried it down at the distillery in 2013 and I didn't really care for it at the time.  My love for Wild Turkey and the numerous rave reviews I've read made me revisit this one.  I'm glad I did.  I actually prefer it over Rare Breed.  

2 hours ago, Bourbon rookie said:

just had my first taste of Buffalo Trace...i like it alot.   but of course I am a newbie...feel free to message me some other suggestions for a rookie.   thanks

Try Eagle Rare if you can find it easily. That was one of my original favorites as I was just getting into Bourbon.  Still is btw.

Friend opened a 1986 ER last night. 90 proof and the mouthfeel was just a little thin, but the nose and flavor were on point. Lot's of brown sugar on the nose and it carried over to taste as well, my wheelhouse, would love to get the opportunity to try at a little higher proof.

Had a couple pours of Baker's last night. I am really enjoying this bottle. I'll have to go get another bottle as a replacement. 

I've been enjoying a 1.75 of new label Old Forester 100pf. I'm a unabashed fan of Old Forester bourbon and at present my favorite pour is the OF 1920 offering... The OF100pf I've been working on over the last few weeks is a kissing cousin to the 1920. The flavors are all there but just slightly subdued in comparison and the nose is very close, the only area that the 100pf offering falls well short of the 1920 in is thickness and mouth feel.

I'd like to find a bottle of the OF Signature from this past year and do a sbs... I have posted a few times that I thought the recent OF Sig had not declined in quality, but I do believe the 100pf that I'm drinking would easily best the Sig in a fair fight.

WP_20170719_005.jpg

Had a very tasty pour of WFE 8yo Rye followed by some 4R SiB 2013 LE, both excellent.

Cheers! 

Will

15 hours ago, Bourbon rookie said:

just had my first taste of Buffalo Trace...i like it alot.   but of course I am a newbie...feel free to message me some other suggestions for a rookie.   thanks

You're going to get a lot of different responses.  People who are big BT fans are going to recommend things like CEHT, ER, WSR, OWA, W12, Stagg Jr., Blanton's, ETL all of which I like.  The WT fans are going to recommend WT101, RR, WTRB . . . The HH people are going to mention Larceny, the HH labled ones . . . The Beam fans are going to mention Booker's, Baker's KC, the Beam labeled ones . . .   The, well you get the picture, all of us like different things so you really need to focus on a few basics and then go from there.  You already stated that you liked the BT so try a few of their others ( a good way is to buy some of the 50 ml (airline size) bottles and try those.  If you don't like something then you haven't wasted a bunch of money on something you hate.  Also, try some different things when you're in a restaurant.  A lot of times I'll look for something I don't have in my cabinet to try while I'm out.  Finally, talk to friends who also enjoy bourbon and get their input (and maybe a free pour now and then).  As I've said before, "Bourbon is a journey, not a destination."

15 hours ago, Bourbon rookie said:

Try Elijah Craig small batch. It's the same price point as BT and is available everywhere.

Mixed my first batch of SB blend (60/40) 10 days ago and giving it a try now.  I can safely say this is better than either Weller product by itself.  

Need to give this a go again. I kinda felt it took away from both and didn't add much. That being said I really like both on there own.

27 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You're going to get a lot of different responses.  People who are big BT fans are going to recommend things like CEHT, ER, WSR, OWA, W12, Stagg Jr., Blanton's, ETL all of which I like.  The WT fans are going to recommend WT101, RR, WTRB . . . The HH people are going to mention Larceny, the HH labled ones . . . The Beam fans are going to mention Booker's, Baker's KC, the Beam labeled ones . . .   The, well you get the picture, all of us like different things so you really need to focus on a few basics and then go from there.  You already stated that you liked the BT so try a few of their others ( a good way is to buy some of the 50 ml (airline size) bottles and try those.  If you don't like something then you haven't wasted a bunch of money on something you hate.  Also, try some different things when you're in a restaurant.  A lot of times I'll look for something I don't have in my cabinet to try while I'm out.  Finally, talk to friends who also enjoy bourbon and get their input (and maybe a free pour now and then).  As I've said before, "Bourbon is a journey, not a destination."

Well, if flying solo with no bourbon buddies around, I'd actually recommend purchasing one basic but solid expression from each, smt like EC, WT101, KC, 4R SB. Inexpensive, yet educational & comprehensive.

Anyway, enjoying an early Friday pour of ER I found at a nearby dive bar. It's good to go back to the basics once in a while.

17 hours ago, Bourbon rookie said:

Buy whatever you can in Minis, cheapest way to flex out the taster

19 hours ago, dcbt said:

I'm the opposite.  To me, SB Blend is the biggest waste of W12.  To each his own.

I'm pretty much in agreement with dcbt. I like Weller 12 just fine all by its self. While me Weller vattings usually contain several various Weller's, if I ever do my own SB Blend, I use Weller SR instead of Weller 12. It usually works out fairly well because most of the Weller SR's I have are PS's.

Cheers! Joe 

Having a pour of '11 Saz18 and then a '17 FRSmBLE at a local bar. Both really great pours and totally enjoyed them. 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Need to give this a go again. I kinda felt it took away from both and didn't add much. That being said I really like both on there own.

I like W12 just fine by itself.  Regular OWA has this dry ethanol finish that I don't love. It's a decent bourbon, but I've been able to land some SiB OWA lately that's much better.  The SB blend maintains the W12 profile with a little more punch and finishes nicely IMO.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:03 PM, kemosabe said:

Hey guys, first post after lurking for a few years.  Finally decided to join the conversation.  Started with a Knob Creek store pick, now sipping a dram of Blanton's while puffing on a stogie on the porch.

Cheers....

Welcome. I only recently joined myself.

18 hours ago, Paddy said:

Coal Town Liquors KCSB, Barrel #2.

I was on business in the coalfields today, and stopped by a friends store while in the area.  His private selection (13 yrs old) was in, so I came back home with a bottle in hand..  

The current situation?  In the process of getting acquainted with it.:D

Hmmm.  This is one of those days.  I started early with a handful of ice cubes in a double Old Fashioned glass and a hefty pour of a store pick KC.  I bought it on a road trip a few months ago, untasted, at a place on US 301 in Maryland - too far away to make a special trip.  I should have bought more than one.

Virgin 7yr 101 out of the fridge is rockin my bourbon world right now.  

Digging on some KCSB tonight.  Started as a blind SBS between a store pick and the GBS pick (first of what must be multiple, for - ya know - science), and just dumped them together at the end.  Hitting all the right notes this Friday night!

I currently have three PS KCSB's open and couldn't decide which one to drink.  So...........being an equal opportunity kind of guy....:D

Ending the night with a couple of good pours from the last of this bottle of Baker's. Wow, this bottle went quick...

21 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

I've been enjoying a 1.75 of new label Old Forester 100pf. I'm a unabashed fan of Old Forester bourbon and at present my favorite pour is the OF 1920 offering... The OF100pf I've been working on over the last few weeks is a kissing cousin to the 1920. The flavors are all there but just slightly subdued in comparison and the nose is very close, the only area that the 100pf offering falls well short of the 1920 in is thickness and mouth feel.

I'd like to find a bottle of the OF Signature from this past year and do a sbs... I have posted a few times that I thought the recent OF Sig had not declined in quality, but I do believe the 100pf that I'm drinking would easily best the Sig in a fair fight.

WP_20170719_005.jpg

Big fan of the OF Signature!

I've been inconsistent this week due to being so busy every night with birthday activities that I forgot to post about the birthday itself.

My wife decided to honor the big one with dinner at one of Seattle's finest - Canlis. This is a coat and tie required kind of place. I got the Wagyu ribeye which was outstanding. There was a piano player providing tasteful music the entire night. It was mostly jazz standards. At one point there was a song that sounded familiar that I couldn't quite place. Then it hit me - he was playing Sober by Tool. Hilarious. I was probably the only person in the place that recognized it. 

Upon returning home, I celebrated with a large pour of WLW '12.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I've been inconsistent this week due to being so busy every night with birthday activities that I forgot to post about the birthday itself.

My wife decided to honor the big one with dinner at one of Seattle's finest - Canlis. This is a coat and tie required kind of place. I got the Wagyu ribeye which was outstanding. There was a piano player providing tasteful music the entire night. It was mostly jazz standards. At one point there was a song that sounded familiar that I couldn't quite place. Then it hit me - he was playing Sober by Tool. Hilarious. I was probably the only person in the place that recognized it. 

Upon returning home, I celebrated with a large pour of WLW '12.

Belated Happy Birthday, Steve.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.