What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

Got a smoker a week or two ago, firing it up for its first smoke today. Enjoying a small pour of GTS on the patio and enjoying the smells of slow cooking meat (or chicken in this case).

Now that sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday!

I have some Van Winkle tonight.
ea6c8f5d91bdcae942221db7479da480.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hell of a way to spend a day! I started a brisket flat at 3am, unforunately nothing as wonderful as stagg in my collection to pair it with (ate alongside a big pour of russels reserve single with a cube). Enjoy!

Decided to treat myself a little this afternoon. 

Started with a short pour of Parker's Heritage 2012 (Blend of Mashbills) one of my top 10-pours (Disclaimer: my top ten now numbers in excess of 20... oh well).    That was, as expected; elegant and balanced, complex and satisfying. 

I put back the PH in the bunker, and withdrew an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon from 2014.     That one was less exhilarating though, being right up on the edge of being too oaky.    Still, a pretty impressive pour, though.   
I wanted one more generous pour to finish off, and went with Wild Turkey Rare Breed 112.8.      I enjoyed that one more than the OFBB.     It was a nice 'cap' for the evening.   

Heading out to the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper) in a week or so for a long-planned vacation with my bride.     A couple weex after that: Bardstown!    Life is GOOD!

I had the fiancé pour an EC store pick, EC12, and HM10 for a blind tasting. I correctly picked all 3. I'd like to get an EC NAS and sub it for the HM10. 

My preference is this order:

1. EC store pick

2. HM10

3. EC12

I'm in the camp of the EC12 being a little too oaky for my wheelhouse.

Having a small pour of Elijah Craig 18 to end the weekend.  I bought a few bottles in 2015, and down to my last bottle, it's been enjoyable, but not sure if I'll get another--especially with the price increase.

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise and on ship was a wine experience type thing, so drank mostly wine. So tonight opened this. While nothing special, it's quite good. Only added a few drops of water.  So glad to get back to my regular old bourbon life.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I had the fiancé pour an EC store pick, EC12, and HM10 for a blind tasting. I correctly picked all 3. I'd like to get an EC NAS and sub it for the HM10. 

My preference is this order:

1. EC store pick

2. HM10

3. EC12

I'm in the camp of the EC12 being a little too oaky for my wheelhouse.

I never had an EC store pick.  I agree on HM 10 over EC 12.  Even when EC 12 was everywhere; I looked for the HM 10.

Ribeyes on the egg last night at 700 degrees on the iron skillet. 1792 high rye in hand, needing a bit of water and tasting great. Life is grand. 

IMG_3108.JPG

Willett pot still NSA 94 proof. Decent bourbon but overall too light and not intense enough for my palate despite the 94 proof. At $60 where I bought it I'd rather go for the Noah's Mill at the same price or the Bookers for about $5 more.

Edited by BourbonDude

Blended some Jefferson Grand Selection Sauternes finish with some The Arran 14 yr. single malt scotch just for fun. Since The Arran is so fruity (nice forward apricot flavor) this actually worked out pretty well. Since the Jeffersons is so overpriced for what it delivers The Arran actually helps it out and makes it more tolerable.

Edited by BourbonDude

Opened a bottle of JDSB BP last night. Had two pours from it and wow...this is some really good stuff. Drank nothing like 131 proof. Smooth, lots of sweetness, all of the good characteristics amped-up and nothing off-putting whatsoever. I didn't know what to expect from this bottle but I really enjoyed the pours.

Ended the night with a pour from my recently acquired KCSB SP which is really good as well!

For my taste buds last night, these two were dessert-like.

Edited by hn4bourbon

Fell into a new "old series" this weekend-Ray Donovan. Don't know why we've never seen it but we started with Season I-Show I and cruised through the first season and half of II. Since it's so raw I needed something to match, so Sat night I hit up the BPs. Started with NC 120SP, then Stagg Jr #6, and on to the EC-A117 (which continues to get better). Last night I needed a smoothing and did a PoorMansPappy, ETL, and finished with a very generous CEHT SB. Looking forward to the next few seasons. The TV bingeing should keep me out of the bars for a few nights. :) 

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Fell into a new "old series" this weekend-Ray Donovan. Don't know why we've never seen it but we started with Season I-Show I and cruised through the first season and half of II. Since it's so raw I needed something to match, so Sat night I hit up the BPs. Started with NC 120SP, then Stagg Jr #6, and on to the EC-A117 (which continues to get better). Last night I needed a smoothing and did a PoorMansPappy, ETL, and finished with a very generous CEHT SB. Looking forward to the next few seasons. The TV bingeing should keep me out of the bars for a few nights. :) 

You reminded me of a store visit a number of years ago where a store manager told me that ETL tastes just like Pappy and is what everyone is getting since it was so difficult to get Pappy.  

53 minutes ago, hn4bourbon said:

You reminded me of a store visit a number of years ago where a store manager told me that ETL tastes just like Pappy and is what everyone is getting since it was so difficult to get Pappy.  

My PoorMansPappy reference was W12 & WA 60/40, but the Elmer was just as tasty. My good Pappy is gone (20yr) and now I'm down to a couple of LotB which I don't like as well as the 10?  

20 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

My PoorMansPappy reference was W12 & WA 60/40, but the Elmer was just as tasty. My good Pappy is gone (20yr) and now I'm down to a couple of LotB which I don't like as well as the 10?  

Sorry for not being clear with my post. I didn't mean to say you referred to PoorMansPappy as ETL. Those two words next to each other just reminded me of the incident.

It was a decent Monday at work for a change. WTF????? :wacko: So, I'm having a couple of pours of HH 6 BIB. Straight from the fridge. :D Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cheers! Joe

2ba0f33e79fcfe5867bffdaf648a3b5e.jpg
@smokinjoe I too am enjoying the atmosphere at The Carnegie Hotel along with an ETL double. Rode the new to me bike 350 miles today with the last 150 in rain, drizzle, and some sun but it was still a blast. Man cruise control on a motorcycle is the best! Smooth ride except for the rain and coming off my birthday weekend with the mother load of OC8 I picked up then left stored in my nieces basement in KY it's been a great time. Another 200 miles home tomorrow hopefully without the rain and the first of hopefully many journeys will be done.
3b8fb6b29e3e5e33e6ef95a46ff4837e.jpge6af5ed159053b2344c0474bd0c8e049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Hop said:

@smokinjoe I too am enjoying the atmosphere at The Carnegie Hotel along with an ETL double. Rode the new to me bike 350 miles today with the last 150 in rain, drizzle, and some sun but it was still a blast. Man cruise control on a motorcycle is the best! Smooth ride except for the rain and coming off my birthday weekend with the mother load of OC8 I picked up then left stored in my nieces basement in KY it's been a great time. Another 200 miles home tomorrow hopefully without the rain and the first of hopefully many journeys will be done.

"Atta Boy Luther!"  Way to go Bill. :)

Cheers! Joe

Does it get any better than this? Grilled ribeye, sweet white corn, garden tomatoes, and refrigerated HHBIB. Great time of the year to live in Ohio. 

52 minutes ago, Hop said:

2ba0f33e79fcfe5867bffdaf648a3b5e.jpg
3b8fb6b29e3e5e33e6ef95a46ff4837e.jpge6af5ed159053b2344c0474bd0c8e049.jpg

Nice pics all around!  I love that hotel.  I hope you have an enjoyable and safe last leg home, tomorrow.  What route are you going to take?  You have some mountains to cross I think?

Nice pics all around!  I love that hotel.  I hope you have an enjoyable and safe last leg home, tomorrow.  What route are you going to take?  You have some mountains to cross I think?

Depends on the weather. Either down I-26 through Asheville or across VA to I-77 then South through the New River Valley. I'm hoping for the New River Valley the views are amazing through there.

Followed up the ETL with a JJBowman to see how they compare. No comparison the ETL was the hands down winner and only $13 a pour compared to $10 for JJB. Now back to the room and the store pick SB BT I put in the mini fridge a few hours ago.

Looking like a late checkout tomorrow...

Can't go wrong either way, I think.  But i agree, that view down to the valley as you come down is awesome.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.