What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'd basically agree with you.  StaggJr batches I've had are dependably heavy on the dark cherry, dark fruits and cherry cola oftentimes. I get more caramel, brown sugar and traditionally balanced classic bourbon flavor on the palate with CEHT BP.  For me anyway it might be the balanced flavors on the palate that make the heat less noticeable than on the Stagg Jr.   I guess they are aged about the same more or less, but reviewers' unsubstantiated claims notwithstanding, we  may never know. 

I totally agree with you comparison notes, and I also find the CEHT hotter to my palate, so I end up thinking it's the one with the less age and complexity.  :o

I do like them both, so I don't give it a lot of thought, but who knows?!?:lol:

Edit to add: I don't really think the age difference is significant, most likely just a warehouse location nuance.

Edited by Paddy

Just tried a Russell's SB and 1792 Full Proof side by side for the first time, both store picks. 1792 blew my mind with its blandness at 125proof. RR came home with me.

Edited by Kane

Just tried a Russell's SB and 1792 Full Proof side by side for the first time, both store picks. 1792 blew my mind with its blandness at 125proof. RR came home with me.

Good choice!

ETL for me tonight, after another manic Monday at work. :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

EC12 in the glass, chicken on The Egg, and Bourbon Pursuit podcast in my ear. Cheers to a relaxing Monday evening. 

IMG_4029.JPG

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I do like them both, so I don't give it a lot of thought, but who knows?!?:lol:

Me too, I like them both on their own merits so for me it's almost a moot point

Just finished off a fine medium-rare, bone-in, ribeye from the grill, flanked by a pour of CEHT SmB and a couple of glasses of Ernie Els Cabernet Sauvignon.  And, the wife is giving me "the eye".  So, life is VERY good this evening!

Finally home from a month-long family vacation. Enjoyed a pour of BT SP and OF1920 last night. 

Picked up a bottle of Baker's earlier today after reading all the posts on baker's lately. On my second pour out of this new bottle. A little hot but very tasty bourbon.  Like many other posters have mentioned, I don't know why I don't pick this up more. It's been a long while since I've had a bottle of Baker's. 

Edited by hn4bourbon

Decided to make it a Hmm, I haven't had that in awhile night.  Started off with a SAOS SB 11 y.o. and finished with a Basil Hayden.  BH was one of my first buys and even though it's lower in proof it still has a flavor profile that I really enjoy.

Folks, here is a brand new way to enjoy your bourbon this summer:

Last night I accidentally knocked over my full glass of CEHT BP on to my desk (what a waste). I was out of paper towels and feeling lazy, so I quickly wiped it clean with my bathroom towel, and then forgot to toss it into the laundry basket. Come morning, I take my shower, and dry my head with the same towel. It was heaven, cask strength bourbon-infused towel after a warm morning shower. Do try it.

I wonder what would happen if I substituted my softener with a shot of bourbon. Mmm, bourbon-fresh laundry.

Been a little while since I've drank from this bottle. I like the newer EC stuff, very tasty, nice sweetness, really nice finish, nice oakyness. Still have a BP to get too.

fJiyoqq.jpg

I must be having a peak palate week, 'cause everything I'm drinking seems like the best pour I've had all year. 

I cracked a HMc BIB and ended up with three fingers of cinnamon laced cotton candy!  Whilst on a roll, I figured I'd dip back into the KCSB I opened a few days ago.  Wow...is it Friday yet!?!

Having some more OE7/101. This stuff is seriously dangerous!  Drinks way smoother and sweeter than it's proof.

Good ole OWA/WA107.

1a225eda150e8b119642056f89283c99.jpg

P.S. Really digging this tonight. Getting the great cherries smell I get from Weller and the perfect proof. W12 is like a really good WSR, WA107 feels like a whole other animal. Even though I think W12 is better if I could only have one on my shelf I'd go 107.

Had a pour of RRSB SP, RB112, OGDBIB, HMKBIB, and Baker's. The Baker's tasted the best tonight. 

One pour from the bar stash before the ball game.

a2f47d8b93c412ad1ea5ecddb74359bd.jpg

Good way to end the work day

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BFerguson said:

One pour from the bar stash before the ball game.

a2f47d8b93c412ad1ea5ecddb74359bd.jpg

Good way to end the work day

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top notch pour for sure B.

I just opened a fresh bottle of OWA, store pick variety. This is the only iteration from Buffalo Trace that I buy. Quite frankly, it is the only thing they make that I like. They generally taste of butterscotch,  and that is ok by me.

I received this as a gift last month, and I've had very tempered expectations. I don't like it as well as my favorite 3 in this price range (RR10SmB, 4RSiB, or HM10SiB), but I am pleasantly surprised. 

IMG_4032.JPG

I just opened a fresh bottle of OWA, store pick variety. This is the only iteration from Buffalo Trace that I buy. Quite frankly, it is the only thing they make that I like. They generally taste of butterscotch,  and that is ok by me.

For me it's a cinnamon cherry coke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.