What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having side by side pours of modern WT101, and WT Decades.  The WT101 is drinking pretty spicy today, but that may because I have been drinking a lot of Heaven Hill lately.  I am down to my last few pours of WT Decades, and am weighing options of picking up another.  I think this SBS will help me decide, if it would be worth getting one bottle of WT Decades or 7-8 750ml bottles of WT101.

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Alright here goes... Jim Beam White. And... I'm enjoying it.

...And, why shouldn't you?     It's well-made and extremely consistent Bourbon.    And, it is after all; The World's Largest Selling Bourbon!  :)

It gets kinda short shrift around here, I think partly because most of the palates here have had so many really great pours that the rather 'ordinary', and very common JBW just doesn't turn the crank over any more.     It was a gateway for many, and continues to be that, I'm sure. 

My only negative comment might be that the slightly peanutty under-taste isn't a favorite flavor for some of us.    I don't mind it at all; but can only drink so many pours in any given week, and have access to so many others that move the needle a bit more; so I don't pour it often.    Maybe I should correct that, eh?  ^_^

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Alright here goes... Jim Beam White. And... I'm enjoying it.

...now where did I put my torch and pitchfork...?

Well, decided to add a Russell's Reserve to the lineup tonight.  The WT Decades continues to open up, and I am getting a lot of deep sweetness now.

IMG_0793.JPG

A mini of JD SB. Not too impressed, but a definite improvement over the Gentleman Jack. Also, I am noticing now that this is 94 proof, whereas the Euro version I had before was 90 proof.

EDIT: Oh wow, I can see why people get "bananas" from this one.

Edited by Kane

^^^^JBW was a my dorm refrigerator go to staple (back in my college days).  Current WT101 is one of the best values in bourbononia (is that a word?), IMO. :)

On topic, I'm three fingers into a dose of Baker Beams old fav...

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

...And, why shouldn't you?     It's well-made and extremely consistent Bourbon.    And, it is after all; The World's Largest Selling Bourbon!  :)

It gets kinda short shrift around here, I think partly because most of the palates here have had so many really great pours that the rather 'ordinary', and very common JBW just doesn't turn the crank over any more.     It was a gateway for many, and continues to be that, I'm sure. 

My only negative comment might be that the slightly peanutty under-taste isn't a favorite flavor for some of us.    I don't mind it at all; but can only drink so many pours in any given week, and have access to so many others that move the needle a bit more; so I don't pour it often.    Maybe I should correct that, eh?  ^_^

Now see I do like that peanutty under-taste. 

All good points and I'm not really that embarrassed to say I enjoy it, I just know that it's probably not that popular. I think it's good to revisit the very bottom shelf sometimes.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

...values in bourbononia (is that a word?), IMO. :)

No, goofy!  Its Bourbonia!  Everybody knows that...  :lol:

Isn't that a break off country from the former Yugoslavia?

Had a great night of tasting different things last night.  Decided to open up a new bottle of Blanton's that I acquired recently to see if I need to go back and grab another bottle from this store. Tasted quite good but much lighter than I remember Blanton's to be.  The flavors were much more muted and little more alcohol bite than I remember from other Blanton's I've had.  This wasn't a recent shipment. It has a barrel dump date of some time in 2016.  Will see if it opens up over time.

Followed by some ECBP A117, ECBP B517, 1792FP SP, KCSB SP, JDSB BP.   My favorite last night from that lineup was the 1792FP SP. I might have to go back to pick up some more.  

13 minutes ago, hn4bourbon said:

Had a great night of tasting different things last night.  Decided to open up a new bottle of Blanton's that I acquired recently to see if I need to go back and grab another bottle from this store. Tasted quite good but much lighter than I remember Blanton's to be.  The flavors were much more muted and little more alcohol bite than I remember from other Blanton's I've had.  This wasn't a recent shipment. It has a barrel dump date of some time in 2016.  Will see if it opens up over time.

Followed by some ECBP A117, ECBP B517, 1792FP SP, KCSB SP, JDSB BP.   My favorite last night from that lineup was the 1792FP SP. I might have to go back to pick up some more.  

Cheers to you, that is some firepower for a Monday Night!

@hn4bourbon that's some tasting you did!

I wonder if your tastes have involved and that's why you're finding the Blanton's to be kind of boring. I know after drinking so many high proof solid pours I'm not that interested in Blanton's standard 94 proof. Hoping to get my hands on some SFTB next week which I'm hoping adds more of a flavorful punch.

Heck that being said most days I'd prefer a good SB select of Buffalo Trace over Blanton's.

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Cheers to you, that is some firepower for a Monday Night!

LOL! I know what you mean.  Weeknights are usually not my go to night for that kind of firepower:)

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

@hn4bourbon that's some tasting you did!

I wonder if your tastes have involved and that's why you're finding the Blanton's to be kind of boring. I know after drinking so many high proof solid pours I'm not that interested in Blanton's standard 94 proof. Hoping to get my hands on some SFTB next week which I'm hoping adds more of a flavorful punch.

Heck that being said most days I'd prefer a good SB select of Buffalo Trace over Blanton's.

That's what I was wondering as well.  I will have to revisit some of the lower proof stuff to figure out where i'm at.  I have gravitated towards the thickness and fullness of 100proofers and up recently.  I would love the opportunity try some SFTB. I have never had it.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:56 AM, hn4bourbon said:

Opened a bottle of JDSB BP last night. Had two pours from it and wow...this is some really good stuff. Drank nothing like 131 proof. Smooth, lots of sweetness, all of the good characteristics amped-up and nothing off-putting whatsoever. I didn't know what to expect from this bottle but I really enjoyed the pours.

Ended the night with a pour from my recently acquired KCSB SP which is really good as well!

For my taste buds last night, these two were dessert-like.

Do you guys know what the current situation is with bad vs good barrels of JDSB BP? Old reviews are all over the place, with people throwing around "best" and "worst" whiskey comments at the same time.

Having my second pour of a JDSB standard proof now, and the thing is growing on me. A sbs with CEHT BP made me realize how unique the JD is, so looking at a purchase next weekend.

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

Do you guys know what the current situation is with bad vs good barrels of JDSB BP? Old reviews are all over the place, with people throwing around "best" and "worst" whiskey comments at the same time.

Having my second pour of a JDSB standard proof now, and the thing is growing on me. A sbs with CEHT BP made me realize how unique the JD is, so looking at a purchase next weekend.

I really haven't read too much about it other than a few posts suggesting that if you don't despise the standard JD or the JDSB, you should give this a try. So, I gave it a try and maybe I lucked out on a good barrel. 

37 minutes ago, Kane said:

Was looking in the bunker this AM to see if I had RR SiB 10yr in there (I didn't - finished it off last month, I guess, and didn't replace it for some reason - OH, YEAH!! I was under a moratorium not to buy more bourbon until at least three bottles in the dining room corner were emptied).  Bummer, I was in the mood.  BUT, I found a George Dickel Barrel Select in the bunker that I don't remember buying (how long ago was THAT purchase??).  So, I opened it.

Anyway, while sipping on the pickle, I just read through the last four or so pages on this thread (JOE, I, too, really like MMCS while I find the basic MM just ok).  As one of us SBers who drank almost no whiskey neat BUT Jack Daniels Black (in my case from 1968 to the circa-1987 proof drop when I moved on to a whole new world of any-bourbon-other-than-JDBlack), I have been disappointed in the Gentleman Jack and some of the other special releases even at higher proofs (the 94 and 100 anniversaries for example) whenever I tried to recapture my youth.  HOWEVER, the JDSB BP hit some spot in my flavor memory so I now ALWAYS have at least one open and at least one in the bunker.  I think I am on the fourth iteration; I liked ALL the releases and none better than another so even though they are single barrels at different proofs, I'm not bummed when an iteration is replaced.  And that is true even when I add a little water; as long as I keep it around 100 or more, it is fine.

ASIDE: And, just in case you wanted to know, the contents of three bottles were, indeed, consumed.  I can now buy again.  Openly.

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Joe, Me thinks the reason Steve went with it, was 'cause he'd had as much as I'd had!  :D

Houston, One more pour would've likely resulted in yet another syllable, while (possibly on the upside) creating a fourth Baltic state!   :lol:

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Exactly! Bosnia, Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia and last but not least, Bourbonia (some call it Montenegro due to translation issues)

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Some OGD 114.

Hitting all the right notes with me tonight.

IMAG2280_1.jpg

Throw some WSR in there!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.