What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a WB liquors private selection of Buffalo Trace (thanks for the tip HoustonNit)...

It has a very short finish, but one of the dominant flavors is green tea leaves, I've heard others notice this in bourbons before but I've never picked it out myself.

Cheers, and happy bday America!

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Chuck C did a blog post about filtration recently, and there was another blog post from a different site that quoted Willie Pratt as saying they had 32 different filters they used. Probably not what purists want to hear but it's nice to get some acknowledgment from them that they do indeed use significant filtering for their older products:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/01/filtration-way-to-improve-whiskey-or.html?m=1

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2013/12/interview-with-michters-master-distiller-wille-pratt_122013/

Thanks for the links. I had read the Cowdery one in the past but had forgotten about it. I've not seen the other one.

The interesting take away from my friend's conversation with Pratt was that they use their filters on younger whiskey as well in order to manipulate the flavor profile.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

It's a holiday.  Bourbon with breakfast is ok, right?

Bourbon is ABSOLUTELY Appropriate for breakfast!!!!!    Hell, it's made from pure water and cereal grains right?    PERFECT!!!!

A nice large pour of OGD114.  Harder to find around here.  Still good.

44 minutes ago, DaytonDawg said:

Really enjoy this happy 4th y'all 

IMG_2406.JPG

Nice, I would love to find one of those some day!  Is it very oaky?

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

The Nats are pouring it on the Mets, it's after 1pm and it's a holiday anyway so it's time to break out the BT. I will have to bring up a jug from the bunker. Cheers.

My kind of game, especially with our bullpen.:rolleyes:  Roll that score up just in case . . .

As you read this (circa 6:50pm ET), I am finishing my bottle of 4R PS OBSO 114.7 proof, 11.5 years.  Sorry to see this go.  But wait!!  Is that another of this selection sitting under the silver chest just out of sight?  Why, I think it IS!

Such a happy 4th this is.:D

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Since he's retired now Phil, we may see 2, possibly 3 posts (odds are higher if he's drinking the barrel proof stuff)

You guys are a hoot, but I just doubled up for my yearly posts with this one.

Went with the BOM tonight. A little HH6BIB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went with the BOM tonight. A little HH6BIB

Man this is good! I kicked off the evening with the remnants of a bottle of RHF opened last week on the first night in the new home (yes it went quick - don't judge me ;) ) but the HH is giving the RHF a run for its money.

Back in KY the end of the week and may be looking for another case to put in reserve.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

sometimes though I want a pour of the W12. Just wish there was a version that is like 100+ proof with a couple more years.

You could try aging it in one of those little do it yourself barrels with some extra BT wheated white dog...;)

On 7/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, Phil T said:

A lazy afternoon on the patio with my summer time fav, refrigerated HHBIB. 

Now officially following your lead with some HHBIB6 out of the refrigerator.

Damn......that stuff is amazing cold. First time I've tried this (cold that is) despite all the good things I've heard from you, smokinjoe, and others. 

This is how I officially drink it from now on.

4rsib watching the tour de France in the garage with a lake view!!0f291cb14f4bf5a0ea4877671cb71bcc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

4rsib watching the tour de France in the garage with a lake view!!

Good choice, and, heck of a view from your garage.

That was quite a controversial finish to today's stage.

Having some of a local store's PS of ECSB. It's pretty solid, lots of spices and a nice finish

6 hours ago, troyce said:

You guys are a hoot, but I just doubled up for my yearly posts with this one.

All bets are off Phil, he's on a roll :D

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Festival!

On 7/4/2017 at 0:19 AM, Saul_cooperstein said:

1995 WT 8/101. Opened tonight. Cork was dry, broke and stuck. Decanted into an empty bottle filtering out the broken pieces of cork. Damn good. 

That's an "Old No. 8" right?  I thought the age statement was gone by 92.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

How was that Todd? It's been quite a while since I've had one open. I have one that I plan on opening soon. I'd just like to finish off a few open bottles first. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

This bottle is only about 10% gone, so not much air yet. I think its as good as any modern ETL I've had, it seems to have a little more viscosity IMO and maybe just a little richer/sweeter than my last shelf bottle.

2 hours ago, clingman71 said:

This bottle is only about 10% gone, so not much air yet. I think its as good as any modern ETL I've had, it seems to have a little more viscosity IMO and maybe just a little richer/sweeter than my last shelf bottle.

Well I reckon I'll have to put it on my list to open soon. ^_^  Thanks Todd.

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

All bets are off Phil, he's on a roll :D

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Festival!

Heck Gary, now that he's retired, he'll probably become more squiresque ;)

21 hours ago, flahute said:

Now officially following your lead with some HHBIB6 out of the refrigerator.

Damn......that stuff is amazing cold. First time I've tried this (cold that is) despite all the good things I've heard from you, smokinjoe, and others. 

This is how I officially drink it from now on.

The knowledge is strong here in SB nation grasshopper! 

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

That's an "Old No. 8" right?  I thought the age statement was gone by 92.

Was an export bottle so still 8/101. 

Just now, Saul_cooperstein said:

Was an export bottle so still 8/101. 

Nice!!

One pour each of MM and MM46 tonight.

Cheers! joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.