What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Passed on EHTSmB at $37.99. I'm moving at the end of next month and already have too many bottles to move as it is. Putting myself on a buying freeze unless something I absolutely can't pass pops up.

Wow, I would have been hard pressed to pass up that price -- that one goes for around $45 here.  And, I really like that bourbon.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Passed this up today.

ea0d57b1e4a8cba94e2d9aea2dfbd977.jpg

The cash price isn't too out of line. I can usuallybfind it for $75. I do enjoy Barterhouse. I wish it had a few more proof points.

15 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Wow, I would have been hard pressed to pass up that price -- that one goes for around $45 here.  And, I really like that bourbon.

It was hard for me to pass as well. It is one of my favorites as well, but I already have a backup to my open bottle right now.  I still might go back and pick that one up still.

16 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

19 minutes ago, JSpartan said:

It was hard for me to pass as well. It is one of my favorites as well, but I already have a backup to my open bottle right now.  I still might go back and pick that one up still.

Put it on lay away.  Buy it and then have it held til you get moved.  You could probably find a local SBer who would hold it for you also.  The bottle might not be full when you went to pick it up but . . . 

I passed on Basil Hayden's @ $29.95 today.  I like the bourbon, but it is a "summer pour" for me.  Light, no heat, but good flavor.  I had other places on the list to visit, and didn't feel the need to stock something I probably wouldn't reach for often in the near term...

25 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I passed on Basil Hayden's @ $29.95 today.  I like the bourbon, but it is a "summer pour" for me.  Light, no heat, but good flavor.  I had other places on the list to visit, and didn't feel the need to stock something I probably wouldn't reach for often in the near term...

I dunno Craig. FWIW, at that price, I probably would have bought one. Nothing wrong at all with you passing on it. I completely understand.

Cheers! Joe

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I dunno Craig. FWIW, at that price, I probably would have bought one.

I think you've had too much of your OWA tonight Joe :blink:

52 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I dunno Craig. FWIW, at that price, I probably would have bought one. Nothing wrong at all with you passing on it. I completely understand.

Cheers! Joe

Yeah, I was kinda kicking myself until I got to the next stop.  I really like BH, but have been finding quite a few bottles worth the purchase lately.  Not really running out of space, but I've got such a backlog of stuff to try, I hate to add more unless it's really exceptional...

48 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I think you've had too much of your OWA tonight Joe :blink:

Who, me? :rolleyes:

Store in Dawsonville, GA was trippin on this one... 399.99 on 4R 50th.   I found it weird that it was on a display barrel sitting in the center of the isle like this.   PASS!IMG_9949.JPG.thumb.jpeg.055f204dea24fe6743aaeaff58453a5b.jpeg

Good prices for my area but the single barrel has never really seemed worth it to me and I don't really have a need to bunker up the Small Batch.

IMG_20170907_191645061_HDR.jpg

Passed on Basil Hayden for $36.99 and CEHT SmB for $38.99 today even though that's the best prices I've seen in my area in awhile. I'm still not sure I want to pay that much for BH. It's a decent bourbon, but it would be so much better at 90 proof, and then maybe worth the price. If I didn't already have several bottles of CEHTSmB bunkered, I probably would have bought a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on Stagg Jr. at $79 and Hancock's Reserve at $76 (especially since I paid $46 last week at another store).

Edited by NDN98

On 9/7/2017 at 11:14 PM, kevinbrink said:

Good prices for my area but the single barrel has never really seemed worth it to me and I don't really have a need to bunker up the Small Batch.

IMG_20170907_191645061_HDR.jpg

I'd buy them all at $59... I have NEVER seen it under $73...

Edited by JTaylor

Passed on RHF for $59... Have two in the bunker that I got for $50 so seems silly to spend $59 even though I haven't seen any in a couple years. Picked up another Stagg jr. for $54 tho...  an MGP store pick 4yo rye (Bone Snapper) for $47, and the Willett 80th bib for $36.

On 9/7/2017 at 11:09 PM, JT3NSB said:

Store in Dawsonville, GA was trippin on this one... 399.99 on 4R 50th.   I found it weird that it was on a display barrel sitting in the center of the isle like this.   PASS!IMG_9949.JPG.thumb.jpeg.055f204dea24fe6743aaeaff58453a5b.jpeg

I'm having a hard time justifying  the $160 price... $400 is laughable.   I'm with you, that's an easy pass!

Passed up Stagg Jr for $69.99 at one store, and $99.99 at another. Still want to try it, but those prices are just stupid.

Passed up Stagg Jr for $69.99 at one store, and $99.99 at another. Still want to try it, but those prices are just stupid.

I don't consider a price of $69.99 for Stagg Jr. stupid. If you've never tried it, you should perhaps consider buying it at that price. I've paid $49.99 for most of the Stagg Jr. that I've bought, and that is the cheapest price in my area. However, I have also paid as much as $59.99 for a specific batch that I wanted that I couldn't find at the stores with the cheaper prices. I see it all over now in liquor stores in my area at the $59 price point, but I do occasionally see it priced higher. It's no longer hard to find, so I don't buy it anymore since I've got plenty bunkered. If I'd never tried it though, I'd be a buyer at any "reasonable" price. While the store you reference that has priced it at $69.99 is probably pricing it at a premium, they are putting it on the shelf at a price that keeps people from buying multiple bottles, but reasonably close to suggested retail that if someone really wants it they can buy it without feeling like they were gouged too bad, but just paid a premium for the opportunity.

In areas that have a limited supply of something that is in high demand, I think reasonable premium pricing is one way for liquor stores to deal with the demand and try to be fair to everyone. Now, having said that, I'm still going to search out lower prices most of the time, but sometimes it's not expedient or possible. And I do question a store's continued use of premium pricing when inventory levels at many stores start to be noticeable, which is actually the case with Stagg Jr. in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

Stopped at a shop while traveling and passed on Stagg Jr. @ 79.99  and PVW 23 @ 2399.00.  :rolleyes:

I've got half a bottle of PVW 23 I'll let go for half that price!!! **

** humorous musing only... not to be construed as an offer for sale of any goods legal or otherwise

Edited by JTaylor
to add disclaimer...

Just goes to show that you never know what will turn up where.

Found this at a grocery store in a part of town that wouldn't normally be associated with higher end spirits.

Looks like they've sold at least one.

Since its a chain grocery, it would seem as though they just put products in with little regard to what will sell for the location, as evidenced by the S-tons of WP 10 year sitting on the shelf.

Anyway, I still passed.

IMAG2364_1.jpg

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Just goes to show that you never know what will turn up where.

Found this at a grocery store in a part of town that wouldn't normally be associated with higher end spirits.

Looks like they've sold at least one.

Since its a chain grocery, it would seem as though they just put products in with little regard to what will sell for the location, as evidenced by the S-tons of WP 10 year sitting on the shelf.

Anyway, I still passed.

IMAG2364_1.jpg

I can't believe it hasn't sold with that sweet sale price :blink:

I have been passing on various FRSB BP store picks in the 10/11yr range at $49. Given the high age & low price I think these have been sitting on the shelves for a few years. Should I think that some store picks are really sub par, or am I actually very lucky and don't know it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.