What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

Same thing here in Kansas City.  The A117 was around and on the shelves for a month this summer.  Even started finding it on the shelf in regular aisles instead of behind the counter.  B hasn't shown here either, though I understand it's in Iowa.  

Of all the stuff to sit on the shelves, I don't understand the ECBP.  I really enjoy the A117, and have a second waiting.  It's one of the better releases I've found,  and there is much "less" flying off the shelves...

Us HH fans are hoping it stays that way. 

Same thing here in Kansas City.  The A117 was around and on the shelves for a month this summer.  Even started finding it on the shelf in regular aisles instead of behind the counter.  B hasn't shown here either, though I understand it's in Iowa.  

Of all the stuff to sit on the shelves, I don't understand the ECBP.  I really enjoy the A117, and have a second waiting.  It's one of the better releases I've found,  and there is much "less" flying off the shelves...

I think there are three factors that are making ECBP slightly more available. 1) The price has steadily inched up in most markets, which has probably slowed purchases a bit; 2) There are many more barrel proof bourbon options available these days to choose from, so there's more competition and 3) There are more barrels available to make 12 year old ECBP since EC12 went to NAS, so the supply on shelves has likely increased.

Having said all that, it's still not readily available in most stores in my area, but not quite as hard to find as it was a year ago. It's still much easier for me to find Stagg Jr., and at a lower price than ECBP. I've got enough of both bunkered that I'm not buying Stagg Jr. at all since it's pretty easy to find. I'm currently only buying ECBP if it's priced below $60 when a new batch comes out.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I think there are three factors that are making ECBP slightly more available. 1) The price has steadily inched up in most markets, which has probably slowed purchases a bit; 2) There are many more barrel proof bourbon options available these days to choose from, so there's more competition and 3) There are more barrels available to make 12 year old ECBP since EC12 went to NAS, so the supply on shelves has likely increased.

Having said all that, it's still not readily available in most stores in my area, but not quite as hard to find as it was a year ago. It's still much easier for me to find Stagg Jr., and at a lower price than ECBP. I've got enough of both bunkered that I'm not buying Stagg Jr. at all since it's pretty easy to find. I'm currently only buying ECBP if it's priced below $60 when a new batch comes out.

I'd agree with that.  I can find Stagg Jr. in several stores for $45, with 6-8 bottles on the shelves.  

5 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

John Bowman. One of the few bourbons I just don't know anything about. Bought a Weller 12 yr. and the Rebel Yell 10 yr. instead, which I knew I would enjoy.

It's a Sazerac product Redistilled from Buffalo Trace Mashbill 2 (assumed) at the A Smith Bowman Distillery in Virginia, I was there last weekend and the tour guide as well as the Master Distiller both stated it was aged roughly 10 years. To my tastes it is more similar to ETL or Hancock's then it is to Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms despite the higher proof.  It's a unique place barrels are aged on pallets rather then in ricks, the operation is bigger than any of the craft places I have been but smaller than all of the KY big boys, though pre-Sazerac it was much larger apparently.

6 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I'd agree with that.  I can find Stagg Jr. in several stores for $45, with 6-8 bottles on the shelves.  

Re SJR I agree as well. I've quit stocking up on it since at least one store I frequent always has it for $43.99. As for ECBP, I saw more batch 12 and A117 than I'd seen previous batches. Have still yet to see any B517 though. As for price I wouldn't have a single bottle of it if I only bought under $60. Every bottle I've ever bought going all they way back to batch 9 has been $65+. Most have been either $65.99 or $69.99 but several stores around still price it at $99.99.

Most of the ECBP I've bought has been priced between $50 and $59.99, but I have paid $65 and $69 for two of my bottles. There are a couple of stores that regularly sell it at $69 and 79 respectively, and it usually sits for a few days to a week or so before it sells. The stores that I'm able to get it for $59 these days don't have it long, so I have to beat the bushes to find it at that price when it starts getting distributed in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/22/2017 at 7:27 AM, gurgalunas said:

It hasn't been "Pappyized" I guess. We also have some really good 1792 Single Barrel and Knob Creek SB ABC private selections that dont get much attention. Fine with me, it already hard to find a lot of the bottles I like. If people are gonna ignore the remaining good stuff that suits me to the ground. 

This is a slightly different what did you pass up for me as I'm in the hicks of Northern France.

Did pass up these at the French equivalent of Walmart.

917c969dec341377fc49e0f5bc0bad7b.jpg

d75b85b816bf75c195e6a81bd3af3b1d.jpg

Was tempted by Willet Family Estate bourbon as I've never seen it in Houston, only the rye. However hard to justify 60 euros for four year old bourbon.

94153cc1b2394d7d74aa00fab493448b.jpg

Every place I've been I've seen Blanton's on the shelf for a reasonable 50 Euros, oddly enough though not a single bottle of Jim Beam white. It's not a distribution issue as I've seen KC everywhere and the 75 Euros bottle of Bakers.

You can understand a price like that, what with that fancy display case and all. I think that shelf might be Lalique crystal...

11 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I decided to pass on this one today.

image.jpeg

Lunacy!! That's a pretty steep price for RHF as well.

EC18 and 23 yr.

I don't know what a fair price would be for these two, but at about $250 and $350 respectively at the small liquor store near me, I'll pass.

And besides, a few days ago I picked up a bottle of the RY10 yr. and Weller 12 yr., so I wasn't exactly feeling deprived. 

Edited by BourbonDude

Four Roses Small Batch LE 'Al Young' for $499.  Hah.

Larceny for $26.  Much more tempting, as this is the first time I've seen it in Maryland.  But I have an unopened bottle already, and my spirits consumption is way down.  Very glad I don't have to drive down to Virginia to buy this anymore

RHF seems to have hit Indy this week.  I missed the boat at one store that had it for $58.99.  Saw a few bottles at Elite Beverage for $89.99...no thanks -_-.  

I passed on Barrell Bourbon Batch #11 today at $89. I have a bottle open and a backup bottle already. The price was regular retail, and I found it in a store that I hadn't visited before. I'm debating whether or not I'll regret it if I don't go back and pick up another bottle. It's pricey, especially for 6 year old juice, but it is really good bourbon. 

57 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I passed on Barrell Bourbon Batch #11 today at $89. I have a bottle open and a backup bottle already. The price was regular retail, and I found it in a store that I hadn't visited before. I'm debating whether or not I'll regret it if I don't go back and pick up another bottle. It's pricey, especially for 6 year old juice, but it is really good bourbon. 

Ahhhhh, but you love that Dickel whiskey.

Ahhhhh, but you love that Dickel whiskey.

LOL! Steve, I know you are pretty sure that a lot of the Barrell batches have been sourced from Dickel, and I'm inclined to agree with you. However, as I recall, I also proved to you last April that some Dickel products have very little to none of that sometimes off-putting vitamin flavor. In fact, I suspect that you've likely become a closet Dickel drinker since trying that Dickel Select Single Barrel. [emoji6]

Anyway, as much as I like Barrell Batch #11, there are so many other great bourbons to be had for much less money. So, I think I'm going to leave them for now. However, If some of them are still there in a few months, I may succumb to the temptation and add another to the bunker.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

LOL! Steve, I know you are pretty sure that a lot of the Barrell batches have been sourced from Dickel, and I'm inclined to agree with you. However, as I recall, I also proved to you last April that some Dickel products have very little to none of that sometimes off-putting vitamin flavor. In fact, I suspect that you've likely become a closet Dickel drinker since trying that Dickel Select Single Barrel. emoji6.png

Anyway, as much as I like Barrell Batch #11, there are so many other great bourbons to be had for much less money. So, I think I'm going to leave them for now. However, If some of them are still there in a few months, I may succumb to the temptation and add another to the bunker.

Ha-ha! I think you put your finger on the reason I've never warmed up to the Dickels I've tried, which is that "vitamin" flavor, but I hadn't pinpointed it exactly. I just knew I didn't care for it.

Edited by BourbonDude

Passed up everything today. They've had BOP3 for over a month now. Was tempted to pick up another CEHT but I've got a couple bunkered.

20170831_181942-756x1008.jpg

I gave my wife a break and did a little grocery shopping Tuesday. I purposefully went to a place I know didn't have much of a bourbon selection. I didn't want to be tempted. :mellow:  While they had some things that would be considered decent, and at fair prices. I passed on everything. :o Lord knows I'm trying. (fingers crossed)

Cheers! Joe

Ha-ha! I think you put your finger on the reason I've never warmed up to the Dickels I've tried, which is that "vitamin" flavor, but I hadn't pinpointed it exactly. I just knew I didn't care for it.

Many Dickel products have at least some of that "distinctive" flavor. I think Steve ( Flahute ) can actually sense that flavor from a mile away. While the higher quality Dickel products have little to none of the "distinctive" flavor, I have a love/hate relationship with Dickel No.12 because of or in spite of that flavor. There are some days where I really react to that flavor and do not care for Dickel No.12, just like there are days that other good bourbons don't taste that good to me. However there are also days where I'll have a pour of Dickel No.12, and I'll notice the flavor, but it's not off-putting to me, then after a few sips, I won't notice that "distinctive" flavor at all and I really enjoy it. On those days, I'll usually have at least 3 pours neat because it just tastes so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your detailed comments. I believe the Dickel No. 12 is the one I've had several times, and each time I had the same reaction. While I didn't find it really objectionable, it just wasn't my thing, and I normally have pretty broad tastes when it comes to bourbon, scotch, cognac, gin, and spirits in general. So that's why I remembered the Dickel since there aren't many bourbons that I don't like.

Edited by BourbonDude

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.