What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/8/2017 at 11:26 AM, DCFan said:

Just went into Outlet Liquors in Rehoboth Beach Del where I passed on a baby Saz for $49.99 (since it's readily available at home for $30). :D  I saw a lot of stuff I don't normally see such as Penn bourbons and passed on. Unfortunately I didn't see any ETL, Wellers, RHF, or EC12 (only the NAS).

How about Oregon bourbon in a Delaware liquor store.  (Rogue Farms far right in the photo).

IMG_0017.JPG

On 8/11/2017 at 10:38 PM, EarthQuake said:

Angel's Envy CS, I don't understand the pricing with that one. Standard AE is what, $40 or so? CS is $200? Just insane.

Part of it has got to be the cost of that fancy wooden box it comes in.

I bought a 2015 batch and as someone who enjoys a good cask strength pour, I can tell you that I don't reach for this very often.

13 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

CEHTBP & ECBP. Both were overpriced in my opinion   I had been looking for the CEHT, was happy when I found in on the shelf, then let down when I was told it was $25 more than the last batch. 

ECBP was also higher than is typical. 

Oh well, there is always a store around the next corner :-)

How do these hold up to your neck of the woods:

IMG_2685.JPG

Passed on WSR for $35.99. Nice to see it on the shelf but at that price, that's where it will stay.

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

IMG_2685.JPG

Those prices seem reasonable.  I don't pay attention to the rye, but the cheapest I've seen the SiB and SmB are $69.99/$39.99.  The SmB is a good bourbon at a reasonable price....SiB is a gamble.

Edited by Nm0369

22 hours ago, Mako254 said:

IMG_2685.JPG

Fairly typical, I think. I don't shop for CEHT rye & rarely shop for the CEHT SiB. For me the CEHT SmB is the bargain & if I want to upscale, I reach for CEHT BP

Passed on Old Forester Statesman at $65.  I'd probably bite at $45 because I like the Old Fo', but that is just too much for me.

5 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Passed on Old Forester Statesman at $65.  I'd probably bite at $45 because I like the Old Fo', but that is just too much for me.

I tried it, thought it was pretty good, but wouldn't pay that much for it. Like you, I'd bite at $45.

Dropped my son at Purdue today and looked through one of the bigger stores in West Lafayette.  They had just gotten some Sweet Wheat, but I just bought one a week or two ago.  Saw Nicholson on the shelf for the first time, but walked on it.  Had the black labeled one for $29.99, white label for $27.99.  Being NAS, I passed, not knowing much about it.  I'm not a big fan of younger whiskeys, and didn't recall much discussion of how it tastes.

5 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

I tried it, thought it was pretty good, but wouldn't pay that much for it. Like you, I'd bite at $45.

I'm still standing by my statement that 1920 or 90p single barrel is a better buy for the money.

Just saying...

:)

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

I'm still standing by my statement that 1920 or 90p single barrel is a better buy for the money.

Just saying...

I don't remember you saying that but I agree!

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Just saying...

Total Wine has an Old Fo' single barrel right now.  I guess I should do my due diligence . . .

1 minute ago, flahute said:

I don't remember you saying that but I agree!

I probably just said it in my head while drinking some OF, but it definitely crossed my mind at some point.

2 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Total Wine has an Old Fo' single barrel right now.  I guess I should do my due diligence . . .

You should be heading there first thing in the morning.

"Old Fo"  has recently become one of my favorite "underdogs".

Often ignored (except for birthday bourbon), they have some real hidden gems our there and a taste that I can only describe as "classic old school bourbon".... or at least what I think classic old school bourbon should taste like.  Something about it just makes me want to grab a cigar, and hang out with some good 'ole boys, and talk trash all night long...with a big ass campfire.

Hey, we have the same name!

11 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Dropped my son at Purdue today and looked through one of the bigger stores in West Lafayette.  They had just gotten some Sweet Wheat, but I just bought one a week or two ago.  Saw Nicholson on the shelf for the first time, but walked on it.  Had the black labeled one for $29.99, white label for $27.99.  Being NAS, I passed, not knowing much about it.  I'm not a big fan of younger whiskeys, and didn't recall much discussion of how it tastes.

I'm  not a big Wheater guy, but I would count that as one of the ones I like, the Nicholson White that is.

Edited by kevinbrink

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

"Old Fo"  has recently become one of my favorite "underdogs".

Often ignored (except for birthday bourbon), they have some real hidden gems our there and a taste that I can only describe as "classic old school bourbon".... or at least what I think classic old school bourbon should taste like.  Something about it just makes me want to grab a cigar, and hang out with some good 'ole boys, and talk trash all night long...with a big ass campfire.

Old Forester has been my "everyday pour" for years. I've been thrilled to see B&F emphasize the brand and introduce new offerings over the past few years... Some great, some good, some "eh"... Love the SiB and the 1920 is right there with my favorite bourbons.

Recently I have been pleasantly surprised by what I think is a improvement in their 100 proof offering. I did a SxSxS this past weekend with the new label OF 100pf vs OF Sig vs OF 1920... The 1920 easily took the grand champion ribbon, but the new label 100pf exhibits VERY similar flavors and a similar nose, it fell short of the 1920 in depth of flavor, thickness and mouth feel, and length of finish. The Signature was missing some of the nicer flavors I got from the other two and was a touch harsher.

I'm hopeful this isn't just a good bottle and is representative of what B&F is going to be putting on the shelf with this new label OF100.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Same here. 

I have read enough about 1920 that I'm picking up a bottle this week. 

12 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I've snagged 2-3 OF single barrel from my total and I'm having to ration it. 

Seemed to be delivery day to several local stores, based on the new items and unboxing that I watched.

Passed on several items - Blanton's for $65, Larceny for $29, King's County $38/375, mostly because I already have some or not interested. 

I did pick up my first Old Forester 1920, for $43.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:47 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

Oh well, there is always a store around the next corner :-)

I knew there was another store just around the corner.  Found an ECBP at better deal.  :-)

Found a liquor store in B'ham area that has quite a bit of allocated products. Stagg Jr for $100+. EHTSmB for $80+, Blantons for $99+, ECBP for $99+, regular Buffalo Trave which is allocated heavily in Alabama for $55+ and a few others. I know what these bottles cost at the ABC and I know thats where they got em. When I started trying to haggle he started fudging me on what taxes had to be paid and how much he gets them for. Made me want to put my beer back. 

Went to the local LS to pick up a bottle of OGD 114.  Surprised to see a couple bottles each of Forged Oak and Barterhouse 20 on the shelf as these were part of a lottery this month.  According to an employee, the lottery winners opted not to pick these up.  Also saw RYSB 10 and OF 1920 each priced at $59.95.  Want to try both of those but will leave the Forged Oak and Barterhouse for others.

I saw a KC 25th under $100 For the first time today. I think it was $97.xx. I was tempted, but still passed.

Passed up Hillrock Solera for the second time in favor of Weller 12 yr. at about the same price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.