What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:21 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I've had this in my cabinet for awhile now and just opened it tonight. My palate for rye is not very developed yet, but I really enjoyed it after it aerated for a bit. Nice lingering subtle finish.

This makes me excited to try, but it might sit in my cabinet awhile too. I currently have 15 bottles open, so it might hold off a bit. 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:54 PM, silverc said:

Picked up the EHTBP from the VA ABC Lottery today and when I got home I had some other goodies waiting for me.... The Beam Signature Craft Set (Whole Rolled Oat, Triticale, Six Row Barley, High Rye, Brown Rice, and Soft Red Wheat) and a Tariquet Folle Blanche 12 year Armagnac. The Beam 375ml bottles were only $20 each, a lot better value than the regular retail of around $50.

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

I really want the EHTBP! Let me know if it is any good, so I can gauge how much effort or $$ to throw at it.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:36 PM, Kane said:

The 2yo is amazing stuff, very unique. Let us know how this fares.

Will do. Might be a little bit since I have been buying way too much lately. First world problems.

Wasn't planning on buying anything as I was checking 4R LE Smb and OF birthday bourbon, but I saw a bottle of Pikesville 110 ($44). Love Rittenhouse BiB so I have been wanting to try Pikesville 110. I had a $15 off $100 coupon so I ended up buying Forged Oak 15 yr as well ($82). I don't really have high hopes for the Forged Oak, but it sounds interesting.

33 minutes ago, dwolf said:

Wasn't planning on buying anything as I was checking 4R LE Smb and OF birthday bourbon, but I saw a bottle of Pikesville 110 ($44). Love Rittenhouse BiB so I have been wanting to try Pikesville 110. I had a $15 off $100 coupon so I ended up buying Forged Oak 15 yr as well ($82). I don't really have high hopes for the Forged Oak, but it sounds interesting.

FWIW Pikesville 110 is my favorite pour. I need to starting bunkering then.

My KBF travels this past week found me lugging home a couple HH6yrBIBs, an Early Times BIB, an Ezra Brooks Straight Rye, and a couple of KCSB picks (one of which I know is amazing, the other one I think is a bit too oaky - but at $39 was worth a shot).  

4 hours ago, dwolf said:

I really want the EHTBP! Let me know if it is any good, so I can gauge how much effort or $$ to throw at it.

It's good, however I don't find it all that much better or even terribly out of line with the profile of Stagg Jr. That being said I wouldn't pay much more than I would for Stagg Jr., the two bottle of CEHT BP might be the last I buy, then again who knows...

14 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

On the way to Bardstown for 3 days starting Tuesday.  Looking to restock my BIB's.  I want to do the Beam distillery tour this time around and maybe pick up a special bottle at Four Roses gift shop.

I hope the stores have had a chance to re-stock HH6BIB because some of us SB'ers bought a bunch of 'em during the KBF :P  BTW....Keystone had them for $11.99

I got the OF Statesman on sale for $45. I like OF generally and while the regular price on this is a bit high, I figured it was worth a shot on sale. 

IMG_3202.JPG

I got the OF Statesman on sale for $45. I like OF generally and while the regular price on this is a bit high, I figured it was worth a shot on sale. 

IMG_3202.thumb.JPG.c8048f982adbcf3e6018d1d9f7472ded.JPG

I'm curious on your thoughts on this. For the price I think I'd rather go for the the 1920 or the store picks which are only a few bucks more. I'm not a fan of the OFSig which has a nice nose but tastes young and falls apart in every other way.

Not 'today'; but down in Bardstown for KBF weekend. . . The only thing of note that I brought back to 'The Mitten State' was a bottle of William Heavenhill 14-year-old, 115 proof, Single Barrel. 

I'm pretty sure this a gift-shop-only offering.   I'll await a 'special occasion' to open this dude, enjoying the anticipation of it almost as much as I'll enjoy the actual consumption. 

Gary and I had the opportunity to sample this edition of Wm Heavenhill during a Connoisseur tasting at the gift shop and it was SUPERB!    At $250, they were obviously (justifiably) proud of it, though... so just the one bottle.  

I'll post in the 'premiums' threads about it when I open 'er up.

10 hours ago, Charlutz said:

IMG_3202.JPG

Saw this one as well Sunday, but I passed. Definitely would like to know your thoughts on it.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Not 'today'; but down in Bardstown for KBF weekend. . . The only thing of note that I brought back to 'The Mitten State' was a bottle of William Heavenhill 14-year-old, 115 proof, Single Barrel. 

I'm pretty sure this a gift-shop-only offering.   I'll await a 'special occasion' to open this dude, enjoying the anticipation of it almost as much as I'll enjoy the actual consumption. 

Gary and I had the opportunity to sample this edition of Wm Heavenhill during a Connoisseur tasting at the gift shop and it was SUPERB!    At $250, they were obviously (justifiably) proud of it, though... so just the one bottle.  

I'll post in the 'premiums' threads about it when I open 'er up.

It is a gift shop only bottle.  Saw it on Labor Day when we were doing some distillery tours.  Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $250 bottle . . . well that and my wife was with me and the resulting frying pan to the top of my head would have proved painful. :D

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's good, however I don't find it all that much better or even terribly out of line with the profile of Stagg Jr. That being said I wouldn't pay much more than I would for Stagg Jr., the two bottle of CEHT BP might be the last I buy, then again who knows...

My impressions exactly. I did a SBS with CEHTBP (127.5) and Stagg Jr Batch 8 - flavor profile is the same with only minor differences, the CEHT is slightly smoother and mellow and may be a touch older, the Stagg Jr is a bit more bold and intense. I prefer the Stagg Jr slightly, I would probably rate them 93/100 and 95/100 (Stagg Jr). At $50 and relatively easy to find it's hard to put in effort into looking for another bottle of CEHT. If you can't find the CEHT, get a bottle of Stagg Jr!

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

It is a gift shop only bottle.  Saw it on Labor Day when we were doing some distillery tours.  Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $250 bottle . . . well that and my wife was with me and the resulting frying pan to the top of my head would have proved painful. :D

I tried this at the distillery last month. Was definitely worth the $20 for the tour. Couldn't bring myself to drop the $250 either but it was really good. 

2 hours ago, jackthedog said:

I tried this at the distillery last month. Was definitely worth the $20 for the tour. Couldn't bring myself to drop the $250 either but it was really good. 

My thoughts as well - glad I did the tour, and well worth that.  But $250 is a lot of money for me to spend on a bottle.  If it was $150 (or even $189) I would have talked myself into a bottle.  Which isn't to say it is overpriced (considering how limited it is, and how delicious - I honestly think they could have asked for and gotten more!)

I'd also be out at 250, but good on ya Rich! Enjoyment is enjoyment.

I always figure you get 15 healthy pours out of a bottle. 250/15 is ~17 bucks for a generous cask strength pour. That's still cheaper than a whiskey bar these days.

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I'd also be out at 250, but good on ya Rich! Enjoyment is enjoyment.

I always figure you get 15 healthy pours out of a bottle. 250/15 is ~17 bucks for a generous cask strength pour. That's still cheaper than a whiskey bar these days.

Thanx for the encouragement, Tot.    Please, note... this isn't actually a 'cask strength' offering.   It's watered to 115-proof ...from what barrel proof ABV, I have no iidea.

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Thanx for the encouragement, Tot.    Please, note... this isn't actually a 'cask strength' offering.   It's watered to 115-proof ...from what barrel proof ABV, I have no iidea.

Would that they all came as thick as 115 proof ;)

I'm on vacation.  Found an Old Scount 10 - batch 13 yesterday in Charleston, SC.  I can't put my finger on it, Old Scout 10 just scratches that itch!  Gonna go back and check if they have a case stocked away tomorrow (pulled last bottle from shelf).  Other stores in Mt Pleasant, SC have been disappointing.  Picked up 4RSB today for daily sipping.  

I had a nice Buffalo Trace find yesterday.  After passing on a Hancock's President's Reserve for $80 I saw it later for $48 and couldn't pass again.  Sitting next to it was an RHF for about the same price. I didn't have either one of those so I picked up both!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.