What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Found my first reasonably priced ETL ($45) today and a Private Select OWA ($30).  Limit one of each.  Sent Postal Grunt a text and I think he scored the same.  

It wasn't quite like Christmas or winning Powerball, but it was a great day at the LS. The ETL was being kept in back in the storage room and the only reason I got the supposedly last bottle was because I had one of their affinity cards. They didn't want to admit that they had it until they found out I had the card. The card was good for a 5% discount. I took the bottles and thanked them.

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

On a business trip in Connecticut, trying to hit a few liquor stores betweens scheduled meetings. I couldn't pass up Blanton's at $43.00, when it's virtually impossible to obtain back home at any price. I may return for the balance of their inventory for use as holiday gifts if I can figure out a way to get it home.

IMG_7597.JPG.dbb777cdcb9c2b35b737d0a5c63347b6.JPGIMG_7598.JPG.f82c3f9ac83b2ea946e5a506d67f58ca.JPG

Nice haul, i was pretty impressed by the Michter's BS Rye, maybe they are a shitty company but they know how to pick a rye for sure. The 4R OBSK is gonna be very good too.

Will.

3 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

Nice finds.  BTW how do you like those Norlan glasses?

I was about to ask the same question, very tempted to buy one of those.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

These came home today. The 3 on the left were with the help of a fellow sb'r. My first new bottle OWA (WA107) and a PS to boot and my first HH6BIB. The age stated FC I picked up tonight to return the favor.

20170914_221904-1008x756.jpg

Solid choice, i'd be happy to find some HHBiB 6. Tasted a OWA SiB store pick recently (i've never had the regular), found it excellent, still got a sample of it. Is it WAY better than the regular ??? 

Will.

8 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

Nice finds.  BTW how do you like those Norlan glasses?

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Solid choice, i'd be happy to find some HHBiB 6. Tasted a OWA SiB store pick recently (i've never had the regular), found it excellent, still got a sample of it. Is it WAY better than the regular ??? 

Will.

The Norlan glasses do seem to work as advertised. They are pricey but they were a Christmas present from my daughter. They help the alcohol fumes waft off but sometimes they seem to take too much of the nose out of the whiskey. I tried GTS in it recently and preferred it out of a Glencairn.

I haven't tried this OWA yet. I have a Binny's select bottle from a few years ago that is one of my favorite bottles ever of any bourbon  Everything I love about OWA ramped up to 11.

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The Norlan glasses do seem to work as advertised. They are pricey but they were a Christmas present from my daughter. They help the alcohol fumes waft off but sometimes they seem to take too much of the nose out of the whiskey. I tried GTS in it recently and preferred it out of a Glencairn.

I haven't tried this OWA yet. I have a Binny's select bottle from a few years ago that is one of my favorite bottles ever of any bourbon  Everything I love about OWA ramped up to 11.

I've heard that too, the Norlan is well made for the barrel proof whiskey, i'm drinking almost exclusively those, so i'm gonna pull the trigger and buy some. GTS can be hard to nose in a Glencairn, specially the 2016 GTS

Store picks are usually better than the regular thing. I'm still gonna buy a bottle of the regular, always nice to have a wheater around.

9 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

It wasn't quite like Christmas or winning Powerball, but it was a great day at the LS. The ETL was being kept in back in the storage room and the only reason I got the supposedly last bottle was because I had one of their affinity cards. They didn't want to admit that they had it until they found out I had the card. The card was good for a 5% discount. I took the bottles and thanked them.

Yeah, they always work "do you have a card?" into the conversation before looking under the counter or in the back room.  I peruse the main aisle for 5 min, and usually have an employee come over for a chat.  It seems a little less awkward than walking straight up to the counter to check on the limited stuff, and is received better (not a cherry-picker just there to get the limited stuff).  I try to buy a bottle most visits so they remember me, and since their prices and selection are good, that's pretty easy.  

The old lady called and said to pick her up some Crown Vanilla for the weekend. Not going to lie, I waited until the store was empty and made a run for the counter. Don't think anybody seen me. I got the ER for my troubles. lol

IMG_4757.JPG

50 minutes ago, Hop said:

Picked up a couple of ECBP B517's and a JJ Bowman today

Have you had the JJ Bowman before?  I've had one sitting unopened on my shelf for awhile now.  Very excited to try it, but almost want to wait until I pick up a back-up bottle before I crack it.  

I grabbed an OF 1920 today from a store I don't regularly go to; it was nicely priced, and my usual spot ran out.  But I have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket to be spent at my usual place as well, so more to come!

16 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Have you had the JJ Bowman before?  I've had one sitting unopened on my shelf for awhile now.  Very excited to try it, but almost want to wait until I pick up a back-up bottle before I crack it.  

I have had several bottles and keep several on hand - it's an excellent bourbon.  Open that thing up!

2 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

The old lady called and said to pick her up some Crown Vanilla for the weekend. Not going to lie, I waited until the store was empty and made a run for the counter. Don't think anybody seen me. I got the ER for my troubles. lol

Now that's funny. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Not bourbon but I picked up my first Willett family estate small batch Rye. 3 yr. 108 proof. Not the 18 yr bourbon I have been dreaming of, but it will have to do for now. 

IMG_5645.JPG

3 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

IMG_4757.JPG

You got that ER just in case though....didn't ya?

I went in for a store select Blanton's but I came out with said Blanton's and a couple of bottles of scotch. Sigh. The 13yr Sherry casks of Springbank and Hazelburn were just begging for a damn side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dwolf said:

Not bourbon but I picked up my first Willett family estate small batch Rye. 3 yr. 108 proof. Not the 18 yr bourbon I have been dreaming of, but it will have to do for now. 

IMG_5645.JPG

The 2yo is amazing stuff, very unique. Let us know how this fares.

Smooth Ambler, Old Scout 10 year. 

Evan Williams, single barrel 2005 x 2

Rock Hill Farms x2

passed on

multiple Blantons between 70-125

Pappy 10 for $500

OF birthday bourbon for $249

Elmer T Lee for $149

5 hours ago, dwolf said:

IMG_5645.JPG

I've had this in my cabinet for awhile now and just opened it tonight. My palate for rye is not very developed yet, but I really enjoyed it after it aerated for a bit. Nice lingering subtle finish.

I also grabbed a WT rare breed and Henry McKenna 10Yr BIB tonight. Only WT I've had before is the 101, which I don't mind. Is the Rare Breed pretty tasty?

Picked up the EHTBP from the VA ABC Lottery today and when I got home I had some other goodies waiting for me.... The Beam Signature Craft Set (Whole Rolled Oat, Triticale, Six Row Barley, High Rye, Brown Rice, and Soft Red Wheat) and a Tariquet Folle Blanche 12 year Armagnac. The Beam 375ml bottles were only $20 each, a lot better value than the regular retail of around $50.

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

Rock Hill Trifecta
IMG_3224.thumb.JPG.86c4142a8b0150c39783515a9777c310.JPG

Griff, I don't know where the hell you find all this RHF? I've been coming up dry for a couple of years now.

Hmm....maybe it's because you keep finding all the RHF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.