What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, chappy6107 said:

I am starting my venture to find some good bottom shelf bourbons.  This is my first purchase of that.  And it is all based on y'alls continued post of this in your stashes or regular pours.  I will break it open tonight for my first taste.  OGD114

IMAG1760.jpg

You are only speaking about the 114 as lower shelf right? Those others are good bourbons!

22 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

See, I must be the only one on here that likes it, but that's ok. The EW BIB never had but may try later tonight . We can get the Beam, and think it's pretty good. Have you had both, which you like better?

I've heard better things about the OB BIB version vs the 90 proof but even that doesn't get much love.  I can't do the tan label OB neat. I had to relegate it to mixing, cooking, and egg nog.  EWBIB is a good value pour. I prefer Old Fitz BIB but it's getting hard to find and its not apples to apples. I know a lot of folks rank HHBIB6 slightly higher than EWBIB. I don't really have experience with JBBIB. JB Black is decent but a little more $. It's a shadow of what it used to be when it was aged stated though. It still has that Beam "funk" but some like it because of it. Tastes like peanut shells to me.

36 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

See, I must be the only one on here that likes it, but that's ok. The EW BIB never had but may try later tonight . We can get the Beam, and think it's pretty good. Have you had both, which you like better?

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I've heard better things about the OB BIB version vs the 90 proof but even that doesn't get much love.  I can't do the tan label OB neat. I had to relegate it to mixing, cooking, and egg nog.  EWBIB is a good value pour. I prefer Old Fitz BIB but it's getting hard to find and its not apples to apples. I know a lot of folks rank HHBIB6 slightly higher than EWBIB. I don't really have experience with JBBIB. JB Black is decent but a little more $. It's a shadow of what it used to be when it was aged stated though. It still has that Beam "funk" but some like it because of it. Tastes like peanut shells to me.

I'll chime in here to illustrate how tastes differ, I would say Beam BIB is probably one of my favorite BIB bourbons, I would take it over most of the Heaven Hill stuff which I like quite a bit.  Of the HH stuff I would probably drink JW Dant if I had to pick one, but just bourbons here,  if only one BIB HH product it is Rittenhouse. I haven't had Old Fitz BIB since it's never been in my market but I suspect I would like it since I dig all of the other HH Wheaters I have had. I like The Old Bardstown BIB I think it brings something different to the table but haven't had the 90 proof since I passed on a pour of it at Willet when I was there.

3 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

You are only speaking about the 114 as lower shelf right? Those others are good bourbons!

Yes only the 114.  The others are def. not lower shelf stuff.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think I'd consider this bottom shelf bourbon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess you are right. it was $20, but in the store I found it in, it was on the bottom shelf with some pretty inexpensive stuff.  that and there were only 3 shelves to the fixture.

and by bottom shelf I mean price wise not quality as most of the LS I shop in arrange things this way: inexpensive = bottom, medium price = middle shelf, expensive = top shelf, gouging prices = locked up in a glass case.

Edited by chappy6107
my reasoning for what bottom shelf is.

Despite being a year and a half since it's release, I purchased another Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Wheat Bourbon. Distribution can be weird.

I guess you are right. it was $20, but in the store I found it in, it was on the bottom shelf with some pretty inexpensive stuff.  that and there were only 3 shelves to the fixture.
and by bottom shelf I mean price wise not quality as most of the LS I shop in arrange things this way: inexpensive = bottom, medium price = middle shelf, expensive = top shelf, gouging prices = locked up in a glass case.

Wow, $20 is really cheap for OGD114! It generally runs around $30 or a bit above in my neck of the woods. The price as well as where Beam positions it in their lineup makes me put it in the lower mid-shelf category.

Picked up an RHF for the bunker shelf (Im not far enough along in this journey to have a true bunker) since it rarely shows up on shelves and was a good price. the Total wine near me got 3 bottles total for the first time since March.

Another 12 for the bunker.

IMG_8889.thumb.JPG.c9ebff954f33e26c4d3f9e30b057d7ee.JPG

Nice! Are you finding that on the shelf in Europe or are you ordering it online?

33 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Nice! Are you finding that on the shelf in Europe or are you ordering it online?

i doubt you can find this on shelves in Europe, but on the internet, it's there, but it's been harder and harder to find, price going up too, saw one this morning on Ebay at €150+shipping, i passed. 

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think I'd consider this bottom shelf bourbon.

Ah ya beat me too it!! OGD114 is most certainly NOT bottom/lower shelf, enjoy as I am betting after the first pour we will have yet another OGD114 fan here on the boards. Cheers!!

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Ah ya beat me too it!! OGD114 is most certainly NOT bottom/lower shelf, enjoy as I am betting after the first pour we will have yet another OGD114 fan here on the boards. Cheers!!

Not lower shelf, but at that sweet spot where you never regret shooting one back in a boilermaker either. OGD114 makes one beast of a boilermaker, I can't think of a single other bourbon that can top it!

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I bought this with reservation because I did not care much for basil hayden and from what I understand they are the same/similar mash bills.  However 1st & 2nd pour last night made a fan out of me.  In fact that is what is going in a glass now.  So far it is my favorite $20-$30 priced bourbon.  I still need to try lots more, but this is a good start.

Went hunting today and picked up a WSR for $20.99.  I will give it a try another time as I love the OWA. havent tried the W12 yet because I cant find it.  A LS told me yesterday that they are "supposed" to have W12 & blantons coming tomorrow.  We will see.

Just a day after I suggested that I was considering not buying anymore Craft Bourbon...I succumbed to temptation. I picked up a bottle of A.D. Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon-Bottled in Bond. I've only had a small taste thus far, but I'm actually pretty impressed. As usual, the price of $63 was somewhat ridiculous for 4+ year old bourbon, but I have been anxious to try something at least 4 years old from this distillery after I read about their story a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/30/2017 at 10:22 PM, FredBear said:

This is a week old.

I ran into a cluster of W12 while leaving out of Oklahoma City. I bought the EH Barrel Proof at the same. I drove a few blocks down the road to see if the other stores got a W12 shipment in as well.....and sure enough they did.  The 2nd store also had a bottle of EH-4 Grain for $89 that I had to pass on since I just bought the BP. Oh well, was a very good haul. I FINALLY ran into W12 in the wild!!!

Weller Home .JPG

Do you remember the liquor store in OKC that you purchased these from? I live in OKC and haven't seen any Weller 12 in years!

On 9/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, flahute said:

Despite being a year and a half since it's release, I purchased another Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Wheat Bourbon. Distribution can be weird.

I'll have to keep an eye out since we're in the same part of the world.

OGD 114 may be placed on the lower shelves (by folks who don't know any better) but it is a quality pour for me. 

On a business trip in Connecticut, trying to hit a few liquor stores betweens scheduled meetings. I couldn't pass up Blanton's at $43.00, when it's virtually impossible to obtain back home at any price. I may return for the balance of their inventory for use as holiday gifts if I can figure out a way to get it home.

IMG_7597.JPG.dbb777cdcb9c2b35b737d0a5c63347b6.JPGIMG_7598.JPG.f82c3f9ac83b2ea946e5a506d67f58ca.JPG

27 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

On a business trip in Connecticut, trying to hit a few liquor stores betweens scheduled meetings. I couldn't pass up Blanton's at $43.00, when it's virtually impossible to obtain back home at any price. I may return for the balance of their inventory for use as holiday gifts if I can figure out a way to get it home.

Very good looking haul there. I might consider driving from Missouri to Connecticut over the weekend to clean them out of that 2004 EWSB - ha ha.

Found my first reasonably priced ETL ($45) today and a Private Select OWA ($30).  Limit one of each.  Sent Postal Grunt a text and I think he scored the same.  

These came home today. The 3 on the left were with the help of a fellow sb'r. My first new bottle OWA (WA107) and a PS to boot and my first HH6BIB. The age stated FC I picked up tonight to return the favor.

20170914_221904-1008x756.jpg

32 minutes ago, Clueby said:

These came home today. The 3 on the left were with the help of a fellow sb'r. My first new bottle OWA (WA107) and a PS to boot and my first HH6BIB. The age stated FC I picked up tonight to return the favor.

20170914_221904-1008x756.jpg

Nice finds.  BTW how do you like those Norlan glasses?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.