What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, LongGone said:

Funny, and true. One of my goals for the next year or so is being able to stop in at the LS - not find anything special - and then leave without picking "something" up.

That is certainly an important skill to develop.

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

TW just had ER, Blanton's, CEHT, etc. all at regular retail prices. I got an OWA there last fall for $22. They had cases of WSR a couple months ago for $17.  I know they don't have stuff long. I make it a point to stop in on Tues. or Thurs. afternoons on my home.  I feel your frustration most of the time. PM if you are looking for BT stuff  I can probably help except for OWA/W12.

I will take your advice. Been doing most of my searching on weekends. Only been into the for lack of better words "hobby" for about six months. So sure some of my frustration has to do with not knowing a lot of the tricks of the trade.  Still irritating seeing some of the crap that goes on though... last example I am guessing STL just got a shipment of StaggJr. Because I have seen it at a few locations. One spot had it $30 cheaper than they were selling it last week. I am all for the economic rules of supply and demand, but that is a little outrageous.  Tired of bitching. Have a good weekend all. Happy hunting and sipping.

A fellow bourbon nerd picked this up. He's inexplicably not a fan of ECBP so he let me take it off his hands.

Excited to try B117.

ff42defa1193ab858249d8b317e64a81.jpg

I bought a Four Roses Private Selection OBSQ, 110.2 proof, 10 years and one month.
c67bbac6d7d4f62ebfde34dbf7e92e71.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Found a 2005 EWSB that I am looking forward to trying. Found a person with a stash of suff I had been looking for on Craigslist. Person seemed cool and I figured I may get some decent prices. I was very very wrong. I was not too polite after that. 

Screenshot_20170908-212525.png

Edited by Insanityabounds

On 9/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I bought a Four Roses Private Selection OBSQ, 110.2 proof, 10 years and one month.
c67bbac6d7d4f62ebfde34dbf7e92e71.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well that looks good as hell.  :wub:

Haven't been much of a Willett fan aside from my first Noah's Mill many years ago (subsequent bottles were "meh" at best to me)... but for $35 I figured I couldn't really go wrong... nothing about it on their website, wth??? When I open it I think I'll try it with an Old  Bardstown Estate bottled I picked up last year. I'm guessing this is their own distillate... is there even a definitive answer on that?

On the upside... while I was picking this up I was told they'd be finally getting their Al Young in next week. I'm probably not going to like the price but I'm looking forward to tasting it.

IMG_2004.JPG

Edited by JTaylor

5 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Haven't been much of a Willett fan aside from my first Noah's Mill many years ago (subsequent bottles were "meh" at best to me)... but for $35 I figured I couldn't really go wrong... nothing about it on their website, wth??? When I open it I think I'll try it with an Old  Bardstown Estate bottled I picked up last year. I'm guessing this is their own distillate... is there even a definitive answer on that?

On the upside... while I was picking this up I was told they'd be finally getting their Al Young in next week. I'm probably not going to like the price but I'm looking forward to tasting it.

IMG_2004.JPG

Yeah, I believe it's their own distilled bourbon. 4-5 years old.  Honestly, I would just keep that bottle sealed as a shelf display.  I think you'll be happier...

For $35, its worth that.  Glad you didn't get gouged.

The back label on the actual bottle should say "Distilled and bottled by Willett, Bardstown, KY" or something along those lines for their own liquid.

Grabbed another bottle of Early Times BIB.     It's pretty good.      This second one will go with me down to the KBF for folx who have yet to get an opportunity to try it to have a taste of it.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, LongGone said:

Funny, and true. One of my goals for the next year or so is being able to stop in at the LS - not find anything special - and then leave without picking "something" up.

A couple of months ago, I pulled everything out and sorted. What did I like, what would I didn't care for, what I wouldn't buy again. 

Of the 'what I liked' I really like four roses, especially the single barrel and cask strength private barrels. Also found I liked Heaven Hill stuff: Elijah Craig (esp barrel proof), EWSB, and McKenna 10 year bottled in bond. Single barrel mash bill 2 stuff as well. 

So I made a list of stuff I buy (at a $ limit) if I see it.  I also have a bunker list ( EWSB, McKenna, store pick EC). If I strike out on my primary, I'll go to the bunker list. This works pretty well until I find something else that I like...........like the wild turkey rare breed 112.8 that is being phased out. 

IMG_3068.JPG

I picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr. today at one of my usual LS's. They had none on the shelf, but fortunately they were sitting on a case in the back.

It won't last the weekend.

Got this by the mail today. 

Very happy about it!

IMG_8887.thumb.JPG.dbff61e957f236e8772c803e2170ddf6.JPG

Mass you and you're purchases are incredible, very jealous indeed.

I picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr. today at one of my usual LS's. They had none on the shelf, but fortunately they were sitting on a case in the back.

It won't last the weekend.

The case in the back or the bottle you purchased, won't last the weekend? If it's the latter I hope it's a celebration!

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

The case in the back or the bottle you purchased, won't last the weekend? If it's the latter I hope it's a celebration!

Haha! The bottle won't last the weekend. We're heading to Dallas and spending the weekend with some friends. Zach Brown concert on Friday, and all Saturday in the pool. I was tempted to bring a spare, but we'll probably hit a LS and see what we can find.

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Mass you and you're purchases are incredible, very jealous indeed.

Very happy with this one. 

Tasted the samples yesterday, sounds like a winner to me.

The Evans BIB not available and was a special order and so was the Blantons. It has been off the shelves for about a year now, at least around here. Old Bardstown is my favorite low end, and the Makers is probably what we use most.

image.jpg

7 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

The Evans BIB not available and was a special order and so was the Blantons. It has been off the shelves for about a year now, at least around here. Old Bardstown is my favorite low end, and the Makers is probably what we use most.

image.jpg

I'm with you on all of it but the OB. The new Willett-distilled stuff in the tan label was about the worst $20 I ever spent.  The older black label was at least decent for the $.

I am starting my venture to find some good bottom shelf bourbons.  This is my first purchase of that.  And it is all based on y'alls continued post of this in your stashes or regular pours.  I will break it open tonight for my first taste.  OGD114

IMAG1760.jpg

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I'm with you on all of it but the OB. The new Willett-distilled stuff in the tan label was about the worst $20 I ever spent.  The older black label was at least decent for the $.

See, I must be the only one on here that likes it, but that's ok. The EW BIB never had but may try later tonight . We can get the Beam, and think it's pretty good. Have you had both, which you like better?

I am starting my venture to find some good bottom shelf bourbons.  This is my first purchase of that.  And it is all based on y'alls continued post of this in your stashes or regular pours.  I will break it open tonight for my first taste.  OGD114

IMAG1760.thumb.jpg.1440ece831ca15830893b412aa1f2a85.jpg

I don't think I'd consider this bottom shelf bourbon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.