What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I completely agree, and probably think even more poorly of it than most. I've had this many times over the years and not once thought it was special. And that's why this bottle sat in the bunker unopened since who knows when. Even as a simple daily drinker it is nowhere near the top of my list. I won't be replacing this bottle.

That said, I do like W12 a lot more than that, and used to have one bottle always when it sold for $20-something.

I'm hopeful that the OWA PS bottles that I've picked up recently are going to Wow me, but in general, I agree with you, and I much prefer W12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried the WT101 and OF Signature (100 proof) and both were great, considering that are both under $20 each and readily available. Neither of them are my new favorite, but based on first impression, I'll likely always have the OF Signature in my liquor cabinet at least (was slightly better than the WT101, in my opinion).

I'm loving this bourbon journey that I've embarked on!!

Thanks to everyone on here that has given many good options to continually try (I can't believe I haven't tried either of these, but glad that I now have)!

Cheers!

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

6 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Decided to buy this because of all of the hype I've read about it on this forum. While I definitely enjoyed it, I don't think it lives up to the expectations I got from reading others tasting notes.

After about only 10 mins in the glass it became overwhelmed by floral notes and the ethanol smell on the nose, which I'm not a fan of either.

This was after I added water - next time I may not add water and see how it goes.

I'm hoping some air time in the bottle will smooth the edges of this one a bit.

Cheers!

IMG_1289.JPG

Keep in mind the single barrel variation factor. I've had a McKenna that underwhelmed for me. I've also had barrels that blew me away.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Keep in mind the single barrel variation factor. I've had a McKenna that underwhelmed for me. I've also had barrels that blew me away.

I meant to put that in my post as well. This will definitely not be the only bottle I buy, but if it doesn't improve with air/time, you better believe I'll be getting a different barrel next time :D

Cheers!

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Thanks,

Good stuff.

Are there issues with the corks?

I don't remember hearing about it.

Great IMHO, maybe the 375ml don't have this problem, but i've socred 4 700ml bottles of this batch and three of the four corks broke :-((

Of course, it stays in the family, but the crown has been passed to the new King.  

IMG_4210.JPG

• I like it 2

For perhaps the first time ever, Smokinjoe was a good influence on me :P. I was thinking about what to have for a pour tonight and saw his picture ^^^. After that, nothing else sounded good so I opened this one. 

(now I just gotta find a kick-ass bottle stopper)

20171023_203359.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Of course, it stays in the family, but the crown has been passed to the new King.  

IMG_4210.JPG

Just now, Vosgar said:

For perhaps the first time ever, Smokinjoe was a good influence on me :P. I was thinking about what to have for a pour tonight and saw his picture ^^^. After that, nothing else sounded good so I opened this one. 

20171023_203359.jpg

You boys are killing it tonight. Tempted to join you!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

You boys are killing it tonight. Tempted to join you!

You should! I'm fortunate to have a few Stagg's stashed away and should always have one open. They're just too damn good to save for later on. This 2012 is spectacular

20171023_203359.thumb.jpg.7d3995885335a55780f17022bd140ad7.jpg

Subtle brag leaving the price tag on the bottle.

Almost more jealous of the bottle stopper than the bottle, no not really but still jealous.

I opened up my bottle of a store pick OWA dressed in a red label with the metal screw cap. I can't say much good about the cap but that whiskey is a WOW! The flavor comes through sharp as a knife and no burn. I wish I had bought two while I could.

I polished off the dregs of three separate PS KCSB's over the weekend, so I opened a couple of 'newer' PS bottles of the same iteration tonight.  You know, to keep the research going.  :D

22 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Subtle brag leaving the price tag on the bottle.

Seriously??? Subtle brag??? I didn't realize it was improper etiquette to leave a price tag on a bottle :huh:

Seriously??? Subtle brag??? I didn't realize it was improper etiquette to leave a price tag on a bottle :huh:

I'm sorry, I was having a little fun but didn't mean it in any way to be offensive. I think it's very cool that you picked this up at $75 and kudos to you. Once again very envious.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

IMG_4210.JPG

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

(now I just gotta find a kick-ass bottle stopper)

20171023_203359.jpg

I decided to join you. 

36B7E461-5C60-4883-B4CD-825D6E47D9E2.jpeg

• I like it 1

I feel like youre all knowingly rubbing in my third btacless year, and all with Stagg, so, the jr version it is for me. cheers

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I decided to join you. 

Great call Steve! We can be good and/or bad influences around here :D

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, jshleffar said:

I feel like youre all knowingly rubbing in my third btacless year, and all with Stagg, so, the jr version it is for me. cheers

Oh they're definitely rubbing it in.  :D  Two can play at that game.  I can go to the store and pick up a HH BIB anytime I want, so there!  Noni-Noni-Boo-Boo!

• I like it 1

I opened this bottle a couple of weeks ago. However, I just had to post a couple of pics after seeing Joe's Stagg bottle stopper. My pourer is actually for the old ER 10/101 decanters. I've kept this around even though all my old ER 10/101 decanters have found new homes.

Cheers! Joe 

er1.jpeg

er2.jpeg

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, Hop said:

Joe now you're just showing off... :) 

Yeah, maybe just a little Bill. ;)  I don't have all that many bourbon related items left any more. I can't help but be kinda proud of the ones I have left.

Cheers! Joe

Just opened a bottle of age stated Fighting Cock. This is my first experience with FC and I'm enjoying. Getting a fresh bread note on the nose. 

Just opened a bottle of age stated Fighting Cock. This is my first experience with FC and I'm enjoying. Getting a fresh bread note on the nose. 

Just opened one of these last night I'll need to look for the bread finish. Certainly different than EW or HH.

Killed a Knob Creek NASA pick, 10yr Rapture, opened another barrel 1911 from a couple years back. The 1911 was highly rated by a certain whiskey reviewer who did several of there barrels and rated this by far the highest. I need to let the 1911 open but loved this Rapture 10yr pick much more than a 12 yr pick Four Horsemen they did at the same time.

8aaf76c8e7571a45c5417b28ff1bc4b9.jpg

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Just opened one of these last night I'll need to look for the bread finish. Certainly different than EW or HH.

Well I was getting the fresh bread note on the nose but I'm definitely curious to see if you get it too. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.