What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller 12 hit Oregon stores a couple weeks ago.  At the state-controlled price of $28.95, it goes fast and I heard there were only 500 bottles.  I was lucky to call a store that had already fulfilled it's bar obligations and held a bottle for me out of their second lot of three received.

weller_12.jpg

I bought Larceny before during a trip to Kentucky and liked it. Was glad to see it made its way into Michigan, but they priced it too high IMO. Business took me to Illinois the other day and Binny's had a sale on the large size where it worked out to be a little over $18/fifth. Fills a gap among the Wheaters I enjoy. 

IMG_0072.JPG

CEHT SB , OWA X2, EWSB 2007, WP Rye 10 year. My place for OWA paid off again.. almost didnt go. The stuff is growing on me but still cant stand the SR.

Picked up FR SiB BS PS, my first time to try Four Roses. OBSQ aged 9 years and 3 months.

I also got Russell's Reserve PS at 110 proof.  I've enjoyed the 90 proof before, so this will be fun to compare. 

I was shopping with my wife.  She pointed out "the bottle with a horse on top".  She suggested that I get that too. Who am I to disagree with my wife?  So, I have some Blanton's too. 

• I like it 1

On 9/29/2017 at 6:21 PM, dcbt said:

Is that a store pick I'm assuming, the 10 year I mean?

Yep. And it’s pretty good too. I actually just picked up a different store pick today but didn’t catch the age on this one. 

Long story short, my wife and I took a drive out of town today. Along the way, we somehow managed to stop at a couple of liquor stores.;) We stopped at one liquor store where I was totally disappointed. (See my post in the "What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today?" thread)  We stopped at another store, and what I found there pretty much made up for my earlier disappointment. Weller SR, OWA and RHF, all at retail! What can I say? Every once in a while........ :D Like Scott/Ox once so eloquently stated, "Yes, there is a bourbon God."

Cheers! Joe

s1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Long story short, my wife and I took a drive out of town today. Along the way, we somehow managed to stop at a couple of liquor stores.[emoji6] We stopped at one liquor store where I was totally disappointed. (See my post in the "What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today?" thread)  We stopped at another store, and what I found there pretty much made up for my earlier disappointment. Weller SR, OWA and RHF, all at retail! What can I say? Every once in a while........ [emoji3] Like Scott/Ox once so eloquently stated, "Yes, there is a bourbon God."

Cheers! Joe

s1.jpeg.e829f74f55b364f7923e1cede76db9b6.jpeg

Nice haul Joe...except for those mediocre green bottles on the left! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Nice haul Joe...except for those mediocre green bottles on the left! emoji6.png

Four grain mixin's they are. 

Good point! That reminds me that I actually do need to pick up a handle for a new batch of GW4G. WSR is readily available in most LS around here at pretty cheap prices. I actually haven't tried any WSR in the new bottle, and I know many have said that they think it has gotten better, so maybe they are starting to let it stay in the barrel a bit longer. I know the last couple of bottles that I had were young and harsh and ended up being used as mixers or for blending.

55 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Nice haul Joe...except for those mediocre green bottles on the left! emoji6.png

41 minutes ago, flahute said:

Thanks a lot guys. :huh: If there's anything I hate more than a smart ass, it's two of 'em. ;) Here's my total haul for the month. :)  Any better? ^_^

FWIW, I've been waiting for a while now for one store that I know to receive their ps Weller SR. I heard through the grapevine it ain't coming in till November, so I decided to bite the bullet today. :rolleyes:

Also, and FWIW, the ER, BT, KCSB and one OWA are private selections. 

Cheers! Joe

Sept.jpeg

• I like it 1

Thanks a lot guys. :huh: If there's anything I hate more than a smart ass, it's two of 'em. [emoji6] Here's my total haul for the month. [emoji4]  Any better? [emoji5]

FWIW, I've been waiting for a while now for one store that I know to receive their ps Weller SR. I heard through the grapevine it ain't coming in till November, so I decided to bite the bullet today. :rolleyes:

Cheers! Joe
Sept.jpeg.12662d78496cd4005f450be42dd6c3f1.jpeg

Ahh...you know we love ya Joe...and know you can't help yourself when it comes to anything with Weller on the label! That's a nice haul for the month. I've picked up quite a few KCSiB PS bottles this year, but several of my local stores are supposed to be getting in some OWA and ER private selection single barrels that I'm looking forward to later this Fall.

Best Regards!

Jeff

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

Ahh...you know we love ya Joe...and know you can't help yourself when it comes to anything with Weller on the label! That's a nice haul for the month. I've picked up quite a few KCSiB PS bottles this year, but several of my local stores are supposed to be getting in some OWA and ER private selection single barrels that I'm looking forward to later this Fall.

Best Regards!

Jeff

I know Jeff. Just given' y'all some crap back. Ya' gotta have some fun. :D

Good luck with the OWA and ER private selections. I hope they turn out great. Keep us posted on them please.

The store that I mentioned that hasn't received their Weller SR, had done OWA's the past couple of years. They've also picked Weller SR, BT, ER, and Baby Saz in the past. IMHO, they've never really picked a bad barrel. I prodded them for a few years to do a ps OWA. I was pretty happy when they finally did. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed they went with Weller SR this year. Still, I'm hoping for the best. A number of years ago they did a Weller SR pick that was absolutely killer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will be near as good.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks a lot guys. :huh: If there's anything I hate more than a smart ass, it's two of 'em. ;) Here's my total haul for the month. :)  Any better? ^_^

Cheers! Joe

Sept.jpeg

Hahahaha! Good one Joe!

I actually like WSR just fine. That Four Grain though......pretty dang good.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers! Joe

Sept.jpeg

Wow - that's a lot of Weller.  Nice haul.  Keeps posting pics like this - I show them to my wife and then she thinks I'm not so bad afterall ;-)

I managed to find three bottles of Weller 12 in San Antonio, Texas.  It pains me that I live less than fifty miles from Buffalo Trace and can never find it anywhere in the region.  

I managed to find three bottles of Weller 12 in San Antonio, Texas.  It pains me that I live less than fifty miles from Buffalo Trace and can never find it anywhere in the region.  

How many stores did you have to hit up for the three bottles and did you end up getting them all at one store? If you where just in town for the weekend good timing as the latest release just hit Texas.

You should have mixed feelings about the fact that you can find this in Texas. It was the heavy marketing and the original distribution of Weller into Texas and the affinity of Weller in Texas that likely kept the brand afloat thorough the 80s and 90s.

I brought a bottle of Weller Antique to a work function at an ice house in Houston. An older coworker who doesn't drink whiskey does remember the old Weller + Water advertisements and told me about a boyfriend who liked Weller a little too much and is why there no longer together. I doubt you'll run into people with stories like this from people who don't drink whiskey but are familiar with the brand outside of Texas.

The old ad below is almost certainly from Texas Monthly.

b5deef9db753325965c1c6537d79768c.jpg

23 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

How many stores did you have to hit up for the three bottles and did you end up getting them all at one store? If you where just in town for the weekend good timing as the latest release just hit Texas.

You should have mixed feelings about the fact that you can find this in Texas. It was the heavy marketing and the original distribution of Weller into Texas and the affinity of Weller in Texas that likely kept the brand afloat thorough the 80s and 90s.

I brought a bottle of Weller Antique to a work function at an ice house in Houston. An older coworker who doesn't drink whiskey does remember the old Weller + Water advertisements and told me about a boyfriend who liked Weller a little too much and is why there no longer together. I doubt you'll run into people with stories like this from people who don't drink whiskey but are familiar with the brand outside of Texas.

The old ad below is almost certainly from Texas Monthly.

b5deef9db753325965c1c6537d79768c.jpg

Two different Gabriel’s in San Marcos and San Antonio.  

Two different Gabriel’s in San Marcos and San Antonio.  

Very cool San Marcos is a cool little town. I have a supplier who's an alumni and a big booster of Texas State. I need to ask him to check out the store next time he's in town.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:03 AM, Journeyman said:

Weller 12 hit Oregon stores a couple weeks ago.  At the state-controlled price of $28.95, it goes fast and I heard there were only 500 bottles.  I was lucky to call a store that had already fulfilled it's bar obligations and held a bottle for me out of their second lot of three received.

weller_12.jpg

You lucked out! I just called every store in the state with Weller 12 inventory showing and none of them have any available for purchase outside of their bar accounts.

• I like it 1

Picked up a few more for the bunker.

Left a few more on the shelf. Let's see how long they last.

Huzzah

59d29be4a7cee_Photoon10-2-17at1_02PM.thumb.jpg.fa6e43d57e3dffef1482a29309b52dd1.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

This weekend I was able to get my hands on (finally, after years of searching) 9 bottles of Weller 12. I also purchased (2) ER10, (1) Larceny, (1) KC SmB & my cousin bought me (1) Johnnie Walker Black Label - she didn't realize I've moved on from JW to wheated bourbons. But I can't fault her, it's hard to keep up with my ever changing palette. It was nice of her to buy me a bottle of anything!

Cheers!

IMG_1147.JPG

25 minutes ago, Kane said:

Finally found it! One of three on the shelf.

IMG_20171002_184505.thumb.jpg.b90a4d9b1227e753a24e87fdcdb3dc51.jpg

Congrats! I went back to my store today (to buy some rum) and there was still one on the shelf there. Unless they were restocking which I doubt that means it's been sitting there since last Tuesday.

Picked up an ER10 PS tonight. It was the very last bottle they had. It is my first ps of ER ever. A fellow Sb'r told me about and if he wasn't able to pick one up this bottle will go to him.

I also picked up another Blanton's over the weekend. I'd never bought one in the box with bag before, always just the bottle off the shelf. I also never knew the horses were different, either until a year or two ago! I didn't NEED one but was keeping the relationship alive at my favorite ls.

20171002_210540-756x1008.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.