What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Not a bourbon but I’m only posting here.

A JD SB barrel strength ( they’ve changed the barrel proof into barrel strength for the European market I guess )

This bottle comes form a selection by LMDW, paid €85 for this, not so bad. I’ve really enjoyed my first bottle of JD SB BP that I’ve paid much than that a year ago.

B0BBE0FE-BD3A-44D7-BE04-1DE73CBFFAF1.jpeg

It counts as bourbon. Post wherever you want. 

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

I agree to this, but some don't. Thx for the heads up.

26 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

I agree to this, but some don't. Thx for the heads up.

Ask "some" what the definition of bourbon is. JD checks all the boxes. Plus, we don't want to start a thread solely for non-KY bourbons. 

Edited by Charlutz
Needed to add some snark
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, Charlutz said:

Ask "some" what the definition of bourbon is. JD checks all the boxes. Plus, we don't want to start a thread solely for non-KY bourbons. 

I agree. Let's not do that ;-)

Picked up a few new ones for this weekend. Have had the ECBP B517 but not the earlier batch from this year so looking forward to it. On the Oceans, I like the standard version, but it's not a $70 pickup for me. Had a chance to pick up the CS version on a good deal so plan to give it a shot. Looks like a good weekend - hope you all have a good one as well.

20171006_Picks.JPG

Stagg Jr 49$

CEHT SINGLE BARRELL $59

will try and figure out how to post picshere soon. 

Decent prices or did i still overpay? Not used to seeing these in TN..havin a blast though!

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Stagg Jr 49$

CEHT SINGLE BARRELL $59

Decent prices or did i still overpay? Not used to seeing these in TN..havin a blast though!

These are good prices for those products. Nice work.

I picked up a PS of RRSiB from a local store. One of the guys who helped select this barrel posted the following tasting notes, which made it hard to pass up: "Butterscotch, butter, toffee, rich and fruity. This barrel was off-profile for modern Wild Turkey, and reminded many of us of older WT stuff from the 80s/90s. The H barrels in general were more powerfully fruity and soft in mouthfeel. This one was unique and won us all over." High praise - we'll see if it lives up to those notes!

26 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Stagg Jr 49$

CEHT SINGLE BARRELL $59

Nice pickups. Great prices. Typically way more expensive here in the people's republic of California. If I find stagg for 50 bones it's hard to pass it up.

28 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Stagg Jr 49$

CEHT SINGLE BARRELL $59

Definitely decent!

I did a whiskey tasting in Dublin from a very knowledgeable individual that for JD black like a lot of scotch adds coloring to it's whiskey. Find this somewhat unlikely but if so may be one of the reasons Jack doesn't label it's whiskey as bourbon.
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I did a whiskey tasting in Dublin from a very knowledgeable individual that for JD black like a lot of scotch adds coloring to it's whiskey. Find this somewhat unlikely but if so may be one of the reasons Jack doesn't label it's whiskey as bourbon.

I am very suspect of this, I would flat out say it is not true but I don't really have a source.

39 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Stagg Jr 49$

CEHT SINGLE BARRELL $59

EXCELLENT prices! I've never seen CEHT SB for under $73 or jr. for less than $54 in Michigan or Indiana. And the $59 is about what the CEHT SmB is going for around here... I'd have bought more than one of each!

Edited by JTaylor

Thanks fellas! Great to have yall as a resource.. hope I can return the favor sometime. I usually have to way overpay for stuff so cant wipe this smile off my face. Found the CEHT Small Batch for $39 too 

3 hours ago, flahute said:

This reminds me that it's been a few years since we've had a multi-page, spirited and utterly pointless thread debating the JD "Is it, or isn't it?" question!  :lol:

That's just flat out BS! And JD labels itself as Tennessee Whiskey to try and differentiate itself from bourbon, but it's technically still bourbon...although all KY distillers say it isn't because of the Lincoln County charcoal filtration process, so they can differentiate themselves from Tennessee Whiskey. It's all a marketing game.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I have had family members who have worked for Jack/Brown Forman. Never heard anything like this. 

• I like it 1

I am very suspect of this, I would flat out say it is not true but I don't really have a source.

As am I. The source has written books on whiskey and teaches a class on whiskey at a university in Dublin. He's also a big fan of American whiskeys and had two in his top 5 whiskeys, so not like he has a bias against American. Anyway just something I heard and could be a reason JD avoids the bourbon naming.

That's just flat out BS! And JD labels itself as Tennessee Whiskey to try and differentiate itself from bourbon, but it's technically still bourbon...although all KY distillers say it isn't because of the Lincoln County charcoal filtration process, so they can differentiate themselves from Tennessee Whiskey. It's all a marketing game.

Exactly why I posted this needed confirmation from knowledgeable SBers.

It's nice when generous folks make business trips to Cincinnati and pick up a HH 6yr on there way into town.

Also scored another W12 I'm set till the next release.

It's nice when generous folks make business trips to Cincinnati and pick up a HH 6yr on there way into town.

Also scored another W12 I'm set till the next release.

Forgot the pic, also picked up a few beers two recommended here.

b664f7b5a5299923906388d3992ac277.jpg
  • I like it 1

46 minutes ago, vismatt said:

Barrell Bourbon Batch 011 - $79.

Surprised to find this and looking forward to trying it.

IMG_0323.JPG

Nice haven't tried #11

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.