What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After hearing so many people sing its praises, I finally picked up a bottle.  If it's not any good, at least I am only out $23.

IMG_6766.JPG

7 hours ago, Gorzo said:

May have went a little overboard, but don't have to worry about Wellers for a while.  Was a 14hr round trip from home (STL) to find this stuff.  Wife's out of town and will never know.... life is good boyz!!!

IMG_0951.JPG

14 hours in the car to pick up mostly OWA? I picked up a bottle earlier this year but sorry, I just don't see it. There are too many others that are readily available that are better. But if it makes you happy then that's what counts. ;)

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

14 hours in the car to pick up mostly OWA? I picked up a bottle earlier this year but sorry, I just don't see it. There are too many others that are readily available that are better. But if it makes you happy then that's what counts. ;)

Obviously you didn't see the cute little 1/2 pint before making that comment.  Just joking.  I do enjoy both the OWA and the 12 yr.  Made the trip for the 12yr.  Bought the age stated Charter because of everybody posting about it on the site.  Never have tried the stuff.

This is my reasoning for making the trip.  Back in Late Spring early Summer  I bought a couple bottles of OWA for $62 each. Had zero clue that I was ripped off until getting more involved with this website. It was the only place I had seen OWA and  didn't realize liqour stores jacked with prices the way they do (at least in STL area).  Currently there is one place in our area that has OWA. It is a 750 , locked in a glass case for $99.99.  The same place has a sticker for the 12yr for $199.99. The bottle was sold.  At some point in the summer another place had a few bottles of the 12yr for $149.99. TW is holding back any of this stuff and things like RHF,ETL for their fall lottery.  I am guessing if someone tried to get what I did in the STL area (which isn't available) they would be at $1200+.  I am into all of it for $300ish.  So making the trip was very much worth it to me. For the savings and to see for myself that this stuff is available fairly cheap. The 1.75  bottles of OWA averaged about $36. The 1lL of 12yr were $28. The 750 of 12yr was $34 (bought at a different store)........Can't wait for your comments when I fly to Japan for a few cases of Wild Turkey 12yr. 

Edited by Gorzo
  • I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Obviously you didn't see the cute little 1/2 pint before making that comment.  Just joking.  I do enjoy both the OWA and the 12 yr.  Made the trip for the 12yr.  Bought the age stated Charter because of everybody posting about it on the site.  Never have tried the stuff.

This is my reasoning for making the trip.  Back in Late Spring early Summer  I bought a couple bottles of OWA for $62 each. Had zero clue that I was ripped off until getting more involved with this website. It was the only place I had seen OWA and  didn't realize liqour stores jacked with prices the way they do (at least in STL area).  Currently there is one place in our area that has OWA. It is a 750 , locked in a glass case for $99.99.  The same place has a sticker for the 12yr for $199.99. The bottle was sold.  At some point in the summer another place had a few bottles of the 12yr for $149.99. TW is holding back any of this stuff and things like RHF,ETL for their fall lottery.  I am guessing if someone tried to get what I did in the STL area (which isn't available) they would be at $1200+.  I am into all of it for $300ish.  So making the trip was very much worth it to me. For the savings and to see for myself that this stuff is available fairly cheap. The 1.75  bottles of OWA averaged about $36. The 1lL of 12yr were $28. The 750 of 12yr was $34 (bought at a different store)........Can't wait for your comments when I fly to Japan for a few cases of Wild Turkey 12yr. 

One question did they have more 12 so i can make the same 14 hour trip?

Your looking at a 20hr round trip.  Not  even I am that dumb.... well guess I am pretty close.

Picked up these bad boys this morning. The 107 was 22 bucks, the ECBP 49.99. 

I am am loving this time of year. 

483B45CE-D2E1-4D89-BAD0-5CF1391B2CA6.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Your looking at a 20hr round trip.  Not  even I am that dumb.... well guess I am pretty close.

I was just funnin. Got a bunch of feelers out for the 12 but its the one thing that is eluding me. Dont think im desperate enough to travel that far for it... yet!

3 hours ago, Gorzo said:

You should take your Weller haul over to that price gouging store and offer it to the owner for $1,000 and tell him he's getting a good deal.  I bet he turns you down B)

I would love to show it off and give him a middle finger, but what's the point. He has a business and can charge whatever he wants.  Guessing some people must buy it and I was one of those people a few months ago.  Along with all the other info this site provides, the most valuable to me is figuring out what's fair and what's not. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, NDN98 said:

After hearing so many people sing its praises, I finally picked up a bottle.  If it's not any good, at least I am only out $23.

IMG_6766.JPG

I think you will really enjoy this.  If not, let me know and I'll give you my address.  You can send the rest to me.;)

9 hours ago, Gorzo said:

This is my reasoning for making the trip.  

No need to give any reasons for doing what you did. You got what you wanted, are damn happy about it, and that's all that matters. Enjoy!

• I like it 1

Just stopped at one last place  an hour from home and found 4 OWA scattered around on a gas statuon/LS shelf(s). I saved them and theyre in my trunk now.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

No need to give any reasons for doing what you did. You got what you wanted, are damn happy about it, and that's all that matters. Enjoy!

I full well agree Vosgar. You took the words right outta my mouth. Even though I was able to find a few Weller's here and there over the past two or three years or so, the one's in my bunker had still been dwindling slowly but surely. They've finally started showing up in more abundance at a decent price, so I've also decided to get while the gettins' good. Like Vosgar said, enjoy. Drink well (er) Gorzo!  :D

Cheers!  Joe

22 hours ago, NDN98 said:

IMG_6766.JPG

I had passed on this for years.  Then, shortly after joining SB, some thread featured it.  So, I bought one.  I opened it and tried it neat.  Burned my mouth like bad pizza.  Wandered into the other room to drink some milk or ice water or ANYTHING to cut the burn.  Went back to the TV room and was met with this wonderful, fruity, ambrosia-like essence filling the room.  The OGD 114 had opened up.  Took a REALLY small sip - the fruit compote/ambrosia was still there.  The next week was experimentation - a few drops of water, various sized ice cubes, etc.

Nowadays, I'll pour 2 oz. (or something REALLY close to 2) and put in a fridge ice machine ice cube and let it sit until the cube melts.  Proof is about 105.  Sip.  Go, "Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!" Breath and sip.  Go ""Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!"  Repeat until bedtime.  Bunkered?  About two cases, more or less.  Just in case.

EDIT- or maybe more than two 6-750 cases.  I decided I ain't telling.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to correct the record

This was my haul from short trip last week. Hope to add a Weller 12 tomorrow being held for me! Broke now but had a fun time.

enhance

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

This was my haul from short trip last week. Hope to add a Weller 12 tomorrow being held for me! Broke now but had a fun time.

enhance

very nice haul.  I have not had the OGD bib yet.  hard to find in my area.  that ceht SmB is one of my favorites.

53 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

very nice haul.  I have not had the OGD bib yet.  hard to find in my area.  that ceht SmB is one of my favorites.

Chappy, you can find OGD BIB at goody goody's among other places. 

7 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

On 10/8/2017 at 11:18 AM, FasterHorses said:

I was just funnin. Got a bunch of feelers out for the 12 but its the one thing that is eluding me. Dont think im desperate enough to travel that far for it... yet!

I guess "desperate" and "yet" was last week. Congrats! Nice haul. Need to go hunting for that ECBP.  Can't find it under $99.99 here.

Edited by Gorzo

Slipped over to my Augusta honey hole. A little digging and found some AS EC 12. Transition label though. No big red 12, but it does say 12 years on the back. 

IMG_3312.JPG

8 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Chappy, you can find OGD BIB at goody goody's among other places. 

Thanks.  I rarely make it to goody goody anymore.  I will have to drop by there.  I typically only see the OGD 80 proofer in my favorite shops.

Stopped at a small LS in SC and picked up an 06 EWSB for $22 and the last bottle of SAOS 10 for $60. I know the SAOS 10 has been discontinued but does $60 seem like a reasonable price?

107.thumb.jpg.185f846a2699b43419666de11ca3dfea.jpg

Two SP barrels arrived this week in Memphis. I picked up a few from this display and drove down the street to get a few more from another barrel. I was able to give my opinion on the samples rec'd by the LS about 7 weeks ago. Interesting that one barrel yielded 14 cases and the other 17 cases. Once the 1.75 on the counter is done I'll open one of each and have myself a little taste test.

Here wishing all of us good hunting over the next 2 months. Great time of year to like BOURBON.  

• I like it 3

56 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

107.thumb.jpg.185f846a2699b43419666de11ca3dfea.jpg

Two SP barrels arrived this week in Memphis. I picked up a few from this display and drove down the street to get a few more from another barrel. I was able to give my opinion on the samples rec'd by the LS about 7 weeks ago. Interesting that one barrel yielded 14 cases and the other 17 cases. Once the 1.75 on the counter is done I'll open one of each and have myself a little taste test.

Here wishing all of us good hunting over the next 2 months. Great time of year to like BOURBON.  

One of my favorites, I am on the wrong end of the state right now...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.