What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a 10 year 7 month old OESV FR PS today. It's my first bottle of PS, so I'm pretty excited to try it.

• I like it 2

Looking forward to how the EC18 goes for you. Enjoy your spoils!

I cracked open the EC18 this evening and I like it, but not sure I love it, especially for the price. However, I'll need to try a few more pours before I come to any final conclusion. It doesn't seem to have the same caramel sweetness that I enjoy from regular EC. And, as you would expect, the oak comes through strongly after 18 years, but it's not over-oaked. It also seems a little thin, but that's probably because it's proofed down to 90 proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Never heard of this Orphaned Barrel.

22 hours ago, DeepCover said:

This will adorn my shelf for a week or 2. I'll stick it in its rightful place next to the Gifted Horse for now.

image.jpeg

From Gimli, so something that goes into Crown Royal.  If a single barrel, it could be interesting, in that it would be just (1) component whiskey in the CR blend.  Still could be if a batch of that same single component.  25 years AS is nothing to sneeze at, regardless.  Color me intrigued.

• I like it 1

ETL showed up in KC today.  Bought one at two stores.  $45 OTD.  One is for a buddy that's been searching for it for a year...

Oh, and picked up a WRDO PS for $50.

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 3

23 hours ago, DeepCover said:

It was very recently orphaned, with little fanfare. But I don't fux with Canadian Whisky or rye, so it will be resold to a buddy of mine. 

Awwww but what does it taste like?!?!

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Finally got a rare WLW this year which is the first one I have seen (at retail-ish) in several years. Managed to get 4 of 5 BTAC this year which is also unusual. ER17 is the outlier but I haven't seen that in a while either. 

Good work. That is tough to do.

The ER17 is practically non-existent this year so for all intents and purposes, you have a complete set.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Good work. That is tough to do.

The ER17 is practically non-existent this year so for all intents and purposes, you have a complete set.

weren;t there fewer than 2000 bottles of ER 17 this year?

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

weren;t there fewer than 2000 bottles of ER 17 this year?

1,461. That works out to 29-30 per state.

3 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

Picked up a 10 year 7 month old OESV FR PS today. It's my first bottle of PS, so I'm pretty excited to try it.

Is the Darbys pick we talked about? How is it?

Buddy of mine was interested in the EC18 so I stopped by after work and picked up the other bottle for him.

4 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Found a couple more of these delicious bottles for the bunker.

IMG_1376.thumb.JPG.2ccceaeb42b6aeb4cc2ec6c86acb4982.JPG

Cheers!

Nice grab! Love this stuff, really one of the best values on the market IMO.

• I like it 1

Stopped in to one my regular haunts and they still had a bottle of W12 by the register. I have no will power so it came home with me.

9fdb38d91dd90349d8939f4033b6c44b.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Awwww but what does it taste like?!?!

This bottle cost $40 more than my 2016 WLW. It was sold to a buddy before I even made the purchase. I made the call in front of the LS owner before I pulled out my credit card. I'll let someone else provide the review. I believe my money is best spent elsewhere. 

[mention=12713]HoustonNit[/mention] is brushing his teeth with W12 at this point.

It's definitely coming with me to share with our manufacturing techs at our next get together at the local icehouse. Normally it's something like OGD and even 6 months ago the idea of taking W12 was unthinkable.

I might have to start being a bit more careful with my pit stops when I'm running errands - FOMO got me good today. 

The AE CS and Michter's 10yr were both below suggested retail, and I wanted to stock up on prime ribeye since the 50% off sale only happens twice a year - I feel like they all go pretty well together haha.

In the past week or so I happened upon FC 6yr, an EC store pick, OGD BIB, a 1792 store pick, Hancock Reserve, and thanks to @Bourbon Fanatic, he was gracious in his trade of W12 and a tip-off to OGD114 which is hard to find here for some reason. I also saw Bulleit packaged inside of a lewis ice bag at Walmart for like $18, and since I've had a lewis ice bag in my amazon 'save for later' for months now, I had to grab it too.  

It's been quite a few days of hunt and pick, but needless to say, unless my leads on BTAC pan out, my whiskey budget is tapped for a while :wacko:

23275514_295158474321432_5509643736447814700_o.jpg

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From Gimli, so something that goes into Crown Royal.  If a single barrel, it could be interesting, in that it would be just (1) component whiskey in the CR blend.  Still could be if a batch of that same single component.  25 years AS is nothing to sneeze at, regardless.  Color me intrigued.

I was intrigued also UNTIL I read that it is mostly corn whiskey and very little rye.

On 11/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, Zero Cool said:

What an awesome day.  My Spartans had a 3 hour rain delay, so I decided to head out and do some hunting.  Not only did I score these beauties, but the Spartans took out another top 10 team when the game finally resumed.

bourbon.jpg

What a great game that was. Now just need a repeat in Columbus this weekend. Also a pretty good haul you have there. I've never even come across a FRSBLE in the Chicago area?

19 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Buddy of mine was interested in the EC18 so I stopped by after work and picked up the other bottle for him.

What’s MSRP on EC18?  I found a bottle for $189 and wondered if that’s outrageous or is the juice in it good enough to warrant running back to the store and buying it. 

Bought these two. Well, there's some bourbon mixed in there anyway.

I was looking for a Bourye since I tried and liked it a lot recently, and $65 was a good price. Hakushu 12 was the surprise find & impulse buy. It is rare to see an age-stated Suntory Japanese whisky sitting on the shelf for $80. Used to pay $60 for it a few years ago though...

IMG_20171108_150819.jpg

bevmo actually came through for once, i randomly had a discussion with an employee at a nearby one and theyd mentioned getting one Parkers Heritage in so I asked if they could put in an order for me (this never actually works and i get a phone call later from a manager trying to explain to me, without them understanding, what allocation means and how their ordering works) but today, seven days later, they called and had a Parkers Heritage on hold for me. Really excited about this and its taking the sting out of not knowing how to get ahold of any BTAC out here without getting lucky in TW or Bevmo lotteries (if anyone knows how to point me in a direction for next year by all means let me know!).

• I like it 1

Awhile back I posted that a friend’s father in law was bringing (6) HH6BiB back from a work trip. Picked these up today!! Very exciting!

ECC45FFB-7F08-428D-AD68-FD185BD824C4.jpeg

Went looking to scare up a couple of SAOS tens and struck out on that. I did buy a MWD and completely stumbled on a ECBP A117 at a shady gas station liquor store (you had to ring a bell so the cashier at the gas station would open up the LS). 

The four roses yellow goes in the yeti tumbler w/ a big ice cube for evening dog walks. 

IMG_3622.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.