What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/23/2017 at 9:18 PM, smokinjoe said:

Finishing up with a pour of the always satisfying Baker's.

Yes to this. Just finished a bottle recently. I was a bit surprised how quickly I went through it. I shouldn't be because that always happens. But wow.....it's a sleeper whiskey that I always under appreciate. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

CEHT BP and JDSB BP side by side. The contrast is interesting.

Can't go wrong with those two ;-)

On 9/23/2017 at 5:27 PM, beasled said:

WT101 tonight again. Quite happy with the cheap stuff at the moment. Puts the rest in perspective!

Definitely not cheap. Inexpensive!

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes to this. Just finished a bottle recently. I was a bit surprised how quickly I went through it. I shouldn't be because that always happens. But wow.....it's a sleeper whiskey that I always under appreciate. 

I have underapprecuated it over the years, too.  Finally, about a year or so, I came to the realization that these great pours of it that I was having in bars, could easily be had at home if I would just buy a bottle.  And, since nearly every liquor store carries if...it's been a staple on my home bar since.  Like you Steve, they disappear from there quite quickly!  :D

Poured some PVW15 into a non-descript bottle to take to dinner last night at the Coach Grille in Wayland, MA.  Went great with prime rib - but was helpful after watching a harrowing Patriot's win (where's that vaunted defense we were promised after all the off-season acquisitions???).   :angry:

PVW15 Pour.jpg

Sorry for the shakey pic, but the wife took it!!!!!!!!  

Edited by GeeTen

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have underapprecuated it over the years, too.  Finally, about a year or so, I came to the realization that these great pours of it that I was having in bars, could easily be had at home if I would just buy a bottle.  And, since nearly every liquor store carries if...it's been a staple on my home bar since.  Like you Steve, they disappear from there quite quickly!  :D

I'm in that same boat.  I have so many open that it is usually a long stretch between pours of Baker's and every time I do have a pour I'm like "Why don't I drink this more often?"

I myself also cracked a Baker's over the weekend, quite literally I cracked the cork, it was an older bottle with the gold ring around the wax, grabbed the Ah-So (forget who recommended that thing to me but thanks!) and had nice pour, the first thing that struck me was how dark it was compared to the more recent 50ml bottle I had sitting around, the depth of flavor matched the color. This bottle was a stunner, I might have to add older Baker's bottles to my list of "Dusty-Ish" bottles to pick up.

Started tonight with a JEP 1776 6 year AS bourbon (mgp) manhattan.  Delicious!

Made the wife one with Turkey 101 rye. Can't get over what a bargain this stuff is @$32/liter.

Now working on some VOB 86p neat.

Goodbye Monday's pain.

:)

IMAG2389.jpg

Started the evening with the last small pour from a bottle of Stagg Jr. Moved on to BT. It's all good. ;)

Cheers! Joe

Ever had one of those nights where everything tastes good, I was, had the fantastic OBSO above, followed it up with a small pour of an OBSQ I've been on the fence about and enjoyed it more than I have in the past so I poured a bit of 1792 FP which again has been OK but nothing special to me and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Well I guess the fun is over, went with MM CS and there it is acetone bomb, sorry folks just don't get the appeal on this one.

Edited by kevinbrink
On the plus side nothing a splash of Vermouth a Morello Cherry and a dash of bitters couldn't fixed.

Began with some WT101, followed by Old Ripy. I have had the latter bunkered for a while, but was only moved to open it tonight. Pretty good I think. 

Buffalo Trace but that is priming me to add to my bottled in bond collection with EH Taylor small batch bottled in bond.

14 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Ever had one of those nights where everything tastes good, I was, had the fantastic OBSO above, followed it up with a small pour of an OBSQ I've been on the fence about and enjoyed it more than I have in the past so I poured a bit of 1792 FP which again has been OK but nothing special to me and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Well I guess the fun is over, went with MM CS and there it is acetone bomb, sorry folks just don't get the appeal on this one.

MM CS is the only variant of MM that I really appreciate. Different strokes I guess.

1 minute ago, Patrick_OKC said:

MM CS is the only variant of MM that I really appreciate. Different strokes I guess.

I find MM46 a bit more palatable than regular MM, and the MM Private Selcts to be comparatively better than regular MMCS

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I find MM46 a bit more palatable than regular MM, and the MM Private Selcts to be comparatively better than regular MMCS

I agree on the MM46, but have not yet come across the MM PS. MMCS, yes, but PS, not yet. Actually, now that I think about it, I did see one recently, but opted not to buy it. Will try it when I next see it, I suppose.

RHF while cooking and some EH Taylor BP for that magical moment the baby and gf go to bed and I get my hour to myself.

On 23/09/2017 at 2:09 AM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Hell, let's make it three's company with Wild Turkey 101 tonight. I raise a glass of my first favorite bourbon to toast the start of Fall. Cheers!
0d78fac13e317b65686ddf67e6d0fc06.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cheers! 

Enjoying an Astor pick RR SiB this evening. 

18 hours ago, jshleffar said:

RHF while cooking and some EH Taylor BP for that magical moment the baby and gf go to bed and I get my hour to myself.

I feel that! Cheers! For me, a little OGD 114 tonight

I'm on vacation this week, but it's basically a "working" vacation. I'm trying to get a number of things done here that have been put off for a while for various reasons. After a long day of doing some things around the house, I'm rewarding myself with an impromptu version of my own Weller Blend. It's pretty much equal parts Weller SR, Weller 12, and OWA, and it's really hitting the spot for me this evening. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. :P 

Cheers! Joe

I too am getting into the WT101.  Funny thing is back in college a buddy and I used WT101 along with Bacardi 151 to make a shot called 252.  This was a punishment shot for losing a game of pool.  after a long night of drinking, this 252 shot would almost instantly make you sick.  So for the longest time I have been walking straight past the WT101 at the store because of "bad" memories.  After seeing many of you use it as a daily sipper I had to give it an honest try.  I have to say that I am liking it alot.  not my favorite, but it is really good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.