What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

It's an Old Forester kind of night. Started with Statesman - a freshly cracked bottle. Call me crazy but I like it. Not going to say it's worth the price but it's darn good whiskey. Good on Jackie Zykan for creating this blend even if it was for commercial purposes. As the new master taster at BF I look forward to what he comes up with in the future.

Followed with some OF Single Barrel, Bourbon Crusaders pick. A good pick. Only so much you can do with OFSiB given their insistence to proof it down to 90. 

Finishing with the perennial favorite - OF1920.

I wake up this morning and see an obvious error. Jackie Zykan is a she. Had the privilege of meeting during a barrel pick and I appreciated her openness. 

13 hours ago, flahute said:

It's an Old Forester kind of night. Started with Statesman - a freshly cracked bottle. Call me crazy but I like it. Not going to say it's worth the price but it's darn good whiskey. Good on Jackie Zykan for creating this blend even if it was for commercial purposes. As the new master taster at BF I look forward to what he comes up with in the future.

Followed with some OF Single Barrel, Bourbon Crusaders pick. A good pick. Only so much you can do with OFSiB given their insistence to proof it down to 90. 

Finishing with the perennial favorite - OF1920.

Was at bourbon on main st last night and the bar tender let me nose a bottle. I got bananas but passed on a pour. 

Hunter & Scott Virginia Bourbon, 90 proof. 

No previous knowledge of this bourbon, bought it when it went on sale at a local LS for about $40. Label says it was bottled at 3 years 5 months if I'm reading the lousy handwriting/lettering on the side.

Actually not a bad bourbon considering how young it is. If they'd age it 6-8 years it might really be something as I think it has potential. As it is, definitely better than the many 6 mos. or whatever craft  juice you see these days, 

Color is quite dark considering the age but it says it's put into small casks, which explains that. I know claims are made that small cask aging can accelerate the process substantially, but this juice still tastes young to me, and also it's one of those bourbons done in a very pronounced cinnamon flavor dominant style which just isn't my thing (like the Garrison Bros. Texas bourbon I tried recently). If you like that this may be for you, and it's definitely better than most of the underage, over-priced craft juice you see out there these days.

Edited by BourbonDude

On 9/25/2017 at 10:14 PM, jshleffar said:

RHF while cooking and some EH Taylor BP for that magical moment the baby and gf go to bed and I get my hour to myself.

That's what I'm talkin' about. "Go ahead and go to bed honey. I know the baby made you 'too tired' so I'm just going to stay up just a little longer before I turn in." 

A man's gotta have somethin' to enjoy when a baby takes over the house. :lol::lol:

• I like it 1

Just looked up the Hunter & Scott. It's bottled by the Reservoir Distillery of Richmond, VA (which I had heard of), the name being derived from the two founders' middle names. I note it's also 90 proof. Most Reservoir whiskys are 100 proof.

57 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

Just looked up the Hunter & Scott. It's bottled by the Reservoir Distillery of Richmond, VA (which I had heard of), the name being derived from the two founders' middle names. I note it's also 90 proof. Most Reservoir whiskys are 100 proof.

One guy's middle name is Reser and the others name is Voir?  

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Haha!

Maybe those were their last names. :-)

Anyway, I had heard of Reservoir but hadn't tried any of their products yet. I didn't know the Hunter & Scott was theirs. They have other bottlings as well, but unless they age them a bit longer I'm unlikely to try them again.

I just looked up their webpage and they do offer 10 yr. old versions, and even older, and they've garnered some awards, so I might try them again at some point.

Edited by BourbonDude

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

JOE!   You're killing me!    I almost squirted my cola out through my nose.   (No Bourbon tonight in advance of a hard physical effort tomorrow.)

6 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

Haha!

Maybe those were their last names. :-)

Anyway, I had heard of Reservoir but hadn't tried any of their products yet. I didn't know the Hunter & Scott was theirs. They have other bottlings as well, but unless they age them a bit longer I'm unlikely to try them again.

Heehee!  :D  They've been around for awhile I think.  I've seen their whiskey on some shelves, but don't think I've tried, yet.  Like your experiences, I get that cinnamon note in many craft bourbons.  Particularly up front.  From there, most of them die off into nothing of interest, unfortunately.   

Last few nights have been WT101 or HH green label, which was how today started then I remembered I had the OF 1920, wow.  It's a waaaay bigger whiskey than the other two, better in every aspect, though more so compared to the HH obviously.

I have a pour of Old Charter tonight. Cheers!e720eb092fd399860a611d8122a4e13c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When the wife's away.....

59cdbf2b30044_unnamed2.thumb.jpg.7d1302f08532944fed4046eac27c16fe.jpg

Feather in the cap is I can still find this in Southern California for under $40.00. Huzzah

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!  :D  They've been around for awhile I think.  I've seen their whiskey on some shelves, but don't think I've tried, yet.  Like your experiences, I get that cinnamon note in many craft bourbons.  Particularly up front.  From there, most of them die off into nothing of interest, unfortunately.   

Yes.  There's the occasional exception, but overall they're all pretty mediocre or worse.

Enjoying a pour of Elijah Craig Small Batch (actually a single barrel that local store purchased, a nice, lively 10 year bourbon), and on deck a Knob Creek 25th anniversary, store select (Ace Spirits).  Happy Thursday!

41 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

When the wife's away.....

59cdbf2b30044_unnamed2.thumb.jpg.7d1302f08532944fed4046eac27c16fe.jpg

Feather in the cap is I can still find this in Southern California for under $40.00. Huzzah

Making me want to road trip.

2 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

I have not seen a bottle of ETL in Minneapolis for a LONG time.  Not too many years ago, it was easily found, and a nice choice for $30.

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

Come on down. On the whole, CA is rough for a bourbon drinker.

Okay,

Came across a Bogle Port Wine bottle. Only 41 barrels were produced. Having the port I got the typical sweet raisin and berry flavors. Finished my tiny pour of that and made sure to coat the glass in a nice, thorough walling. Finally, poured in a little RR10YR....equals....Poor mans Mid Winter Nights or 1792 Port Finish. 

59cdd8b1cf84f_unnamed-12.thumb.jpg.8baefbbec1f0e8d05998d566883416a3.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

8 hours ago, brbnmafia said:

Cheers!

16yr Bottling Plant Grand Opening bottle

IMG_4372.JPG

Yummy, had the chance to try it, it's phenomenal. 

9 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Okay,

Came across a Bogle Port Wine bottle. Only 41 barrels were produced. Having the port I got the typical sweet raisin and berry flavors. Finished my tiny pour of that and made sure to coat the glass in a nice, thorough walling. Finally, poured in a little RR10YR....equals....Poor mans Mid Winter Nights or 1792 Port Finish. 

59cdd8b1cf84f_unnamed-12.thumb.jpg.8baefbbec1f0e8d05998d566883416a3.jpg

I'm pretty sure that work's out to a non Poor-Man's 1792 Port Finish

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.