What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

RY10 on a Saturday afternoon watching college football.  Not many good games on today, just have to make up with good whiskey!

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Cool, you finally found yourself a store pick! Nice

Only one, it was a gift to my stepfather, he’s not drinking it but I do. ;-) . 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, flahute said:

It's an Old Forester kind of night. Started with Statesman - a freshly cracked bottle. Call me crazy but I like it. Not going to say it's worth the price but it's darn good whiskey.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, Charlutz said:

I agree 100%. Before trying the Statesman I was prejudiced against it because of the lower proof and similar price to the 1920. I only bought it because it was on sale and am glad I did. My review? It tastes good. 

I passed on the Statesman because I already have  unopened bottles of the 1897 BiB and the 1920.

Seems to me the direct "competitor" (for lack of a better term) to Statesman is the 1897 because of the similar proof and price. Locally they are the  same price so I don't see the point.  Looks like the Statesman just cannibalizes the 1897.

Have you had the 1897 and if so how do they compare?  I like the 1897 that I've sampled in small amounts before.  Haven't tried the 1920 yet but everyone says it's a big step up.

What say you, since I have the 1897 already is my assumption safe, i.e., it's fine to pass on the Statesman??

11 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Only one, it was a gift to my stepfather, he’s not drinking it but I do. ;-) . 

That's the best kind of gift, ... the gift that keeps on giving!  :- )

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

That's the best kind of gift, ... the gift that keeps on giving!  :- )

There is an Elmer T Lee too, but this one is practically dead ;-)

Started this afternoon with some dusty DSP-414 OF (and decided it was time to decant the handle into another bottle as I thought it was approaching half-full, and has been open for 3+ years; turned out I filled an empty 1L bottle and still had some left I threw in an empty 200 mL).  Really solid bourbon.  Moved on from that to some ORVW10 (2014), and while in the "VW/W" vein opted to top off my 60/40 SB Blend decanter - and pour a little W12.  Not a big fan, but love what it does when mixed with OWA - so glad I have it for that purpose!

• I like it 1

I wish this could be my daily sipper until I am old and grey. Alas, I only have a few more of these orange cap bottles bunkered. I did a SBS with the current ODG BiB. Both great. But chose this with flying colors. Nothing spectacular, just a good solid bourbon to enjoy on a lazy Saturday afternoon getting ready for the evening games.

Huzzah.

59d02237ae037_Photoon9-30-17at3.50PM3.thumb.jpg.3c99f4473cd838c268d46404ab9caa73.jpg

Edited by Government Beard
\

Busy but productive day.  Unwinding and catching up on CFB scores with a little '13 GTS to start this evening.  Picked up a couple 10z lobster tails and a 10oz prime filet for some surf-n-turf on the grill tonight for the mrs and I.  Looking forward to that and pondering what to pour next while I man the grill later.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

What say you, since I have the 1897 already is my assumption safe, i.e., it's fine to pass on the Statesman??

It’s been a while since I finished my first and last 1897. I thought it was fine but not worth the price and haven’t bought another. 1920 only confirms this. 

Statesman tastes better to me than my memory of 1897 but that could easily be due to recency bias. 

If you generally like the OF profile it’s worth trying to see what their new master taster has come up with. Otherwise, probably a safe pass. 

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

It’s been a while since I finished my first and last 1897. I thought it was fine but not worth the price and haven’t bought another. 1920 only confirms this. 

Statesman tastes better to me than my memory of 1897 but that could easily be due to recency bias. 

If you generally like the OF profile it’s worth trying to see what their new master taster has come up with. Otherwise, probably a safe pass. 

I bought the 1920 when it was on sale and with a 20% off coupon. It’s the only BF I’ve tasted and it’s very good but I don’t know if it’s full price good.

I wish this could be my daily sipper until I am old and grey. Alas, I only have a few more of these orange cap bottles bunkered. I did a SBS with the current ODG BiB. Both great. But chose this with flying colors. Nothing spectacular, just a good solid bourbon to enjoy on a lazy Saturday afternoon getting ready for the evening games.

Huzzah.

59d02237ae037_Photoon9-30-17at3.50PM3.thumb.jpg.3c99f4473cd838c268d46404ab9caa73.jpg

I've seen some black cap handles of the OGD BiB how would that compare to the new bottles? Just wondering if it's worth picking up.

b378edc9b791e3a04a5f8db1341b8749.jpg

15 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I've seen some black cap handles of the OGD BiB how would that compare to the new bottles? Just wondering if it's worth picking up.

b378edc9b791e3a04a5f8db1341b8749.jpg

Hello sir,

I don't know if there is a difference between orange and black caps. The timeline of ODG and their bottle cosmetics is something I am not too familiar with. From your pic I just see the disgruntled Basil Hayden so I would 'buy the ticket'. I would love to do another SBS but I don't see those around here. Have you tried any before?

Anyhow, I nurse myself with prospective illusions of that sort. 

2nd pour. Waiting for a 7:30 Kickoff so I have a few hours.

59d02901bdb71_unnamed-22.thumb.jpg.067c328a7020dcad87b30b01cea66260.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

Having a pour of JPS18, batch 18 so it should be prior to the blending controversy.  This stuff is AMAZING. The wife also had some KY Owl Rye and some ECBP batch 9.

20170930_175719-756x1008.jpg

26 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I cracked open a bottle of DN1843. Having it over ice watching the Nats and Pirates.

I bought this only because it was being sold for a third off in the discontinued section. I can see why it’s now been further discounted to half off. I have a new bottle for mixers. :D

I bought this only because it was being sold for a third off in the discontinued section. I can see why it’s now been further discounted to half off. I have a new bottle for mixers. [emoji3]

That's too bad always nice to find a wheater alternative to the MM and hard to find Wellers.

Found this stuffed away at my dad's house. Any advice on how to tell when it was bottled? 
20170930_155954.thumb.jpg.056f78feb3712c458c71abb304aabcaa.jpg

Wow your dad has really good taste or really bad taste if he never bothered opening either way good for you.

I personally would rather have this over say recent bottlings of ORVW10 if that's any indication.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That's too bad always nice to find a wheater alternative to the MM and hard to find Wellers.

It’s all good. Nothing wrong with getting a 100 proofer for a third off even if it’s now slated for mixer duties.

Hello sir,

I don't know if there is a difference between orange and black caps. The timeline of ODG and their bottle cosmetics is something I am not too familiar with. From your pic I just see the disgruntled Basil Hayden so I would 'buy the ticket'. I would love to do another SBS but I don't see those around here. Have you tried any before?

Anyhow, I nurse myself with prospective illusions of that sort. 

2nd pour. Waiting for a 7:30 Kickoff so I have a few hours.

59d02901bdb71_unnamed-22.thumb.jpg.067c328a7020dcad87b30b01cea66260.jpg

Wrong post to reply, that being said can never have too much WT.

End of the day drink by myself. Nothing to celebrate. Just enjoying life so I treated myself to one of my big guns. FRLESmB 2015. So so good. 

IMG_3216.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.