What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Based on the contents of the bottle I would think you're a fan.

How much of this rotgut did you purchase before you realized you didn't like it?

I bought this bottle and tried some, but I think I was blinded by thinking I SHOULD like it because everyone else does... I never really went back to it in the time that I bought (5) more bottles (thinking I should because I liked W12 and it's hard to find).

It's so low because I keep letting my friends have a pour of it whenever they come over.

Cheers!

That's the OC8yr, which is I believe an early 2000s bottling, likely much more than 8yr and good chance National Distillers barrels.

• I like it 1

I bought this bottle and tried some, but I think I was blinded by thinking I SHOULD like it because everyone else does... I never really went back to it in the time that I bought (5) more bottles (thinking I should because I liked W12 and it's hard to find).

It's so low because I keep letting my friends have a pour of it whenever they come over.

Cheers!

Maybe you can give the friends that keep drinking it.
  • I like it 1

Just now, HoustonNit said:

Maybe you can give the friends that keep drinking it.

I keep it around on my bar just for them... Who knows if I gave them the bottle if they'd ever come hang out with me again :lol:

• I like it 1

It was a pretty screwed up day for everyone at my work today. We received some rather sad news. I've worked with one guy for almost 25 years. For many of those years we've worked side by side in the same area. Needless to say, we're friends. We found out today that his wife passed away unexpectedly Saturday. Damn! :( I'm having a pour of 07 WLW this evening in honor of my friends wife. 

Joe 

• I like it 7

16 minutes ago, camduncan said:

Sorry to hear that Joe! 

Thanks Cam.

Joe

I keep it around on my bar just for them... Who knows if I gave them the bottle if they'd ever come hang out with me again :lol:

I recommend trying this SBS with a couple others that you like. You may. Be suprised by the results.

• I like it 2

It was a pretty screwed up day for everyone at my work today. We received some rather sad news. I've worked with one guy for almost 25 years. For many of those years we've worked side by side in the same area. Needless to say, we're friends. We found out today that his wife passed away unexpectedly Saturday. Damn! [emoji20] I'm having a pour of 07 WLW this evening in honor of my friends wife. 

Joe 

Darn always make for difficult days especially so close to the holidays.

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

Had my first pour of VOB BiB. I have a new mixer now. :D

PLEASE do not buy all the Wash DC allotment.  I covet this.:o

Tonight, I am breaking in one of my NEW StraightBourbon Glencairns.  Hand-washed it out of the box (thanks, Boss; everything arrived JUST FINE) and opened a 375 of WTRB 112.8 I bought on impulse late last month.  Wife said "No more bourbon purchases" until I empty 4 bottles or the New Year gets here.  I have this cache of 375s I've been holding for just such a situation.:D

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

PLEASE do not buy all the Wash DC allotment.  I covet this.:o

Really? Well have no fear about me hoarding this stuff since I picked mine up at the ABC in Vienna and not Kogod's or Dixie Liquors (for the out of towners this is a very old Georgetown LS).  A kind SB'r told me he had the ABC special order it and that there were some extras on the shelf afterwards (the manager told me he piggybacked that order with a case for his store). So I high tailed it over to Vienna this past Saturday and spent a whole $13.99 on a 750.  So now you know as I do now that the VOB BiB is something that the ABC can special order if you're really that keen on it (I'll have to give this another try tomorrow night and see if it grows on me).

OWA is the pour tonight. I wish this was easier to come by this would definitley be my daily pour. Instead its my "every once in a while" pour.

• I like it 1

Trying to enjoy this local Indy bourbon, however IU men’s basketball is trying to ruin it for me by giving this game to Fort Wayne :wacko:

6E1E7CC8-3AD3-44B4-8087-315FEA617407.jpeg

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

This my absolute favorite blend. Stagg Jr. and OC8yr. The high proof and heat of the Stagg and the low proof sweet wood of OC8 really brings together the best of each.

Whoever first recommended this please let me know so I can call refer to it as your blend going forward.

62f4f7d074c9546996b0761d3fff465e.jpg

That was likely me. Started doing this about 4 years ago. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Really? Well have no fear about me hoarding this stuff since I picked mine up at the ABC in Vienna and not Kogod's or Dixie Liquors (for the out of towners this is a very old Georgetown LS).  A kind SB'r told me he had the ABC special order it and that there were some extras on the shelf afterwards (the manager told me he piggybacked that order with a case for his store). So I high tailed it over to Vienna this past Saturday and spent a whole $13.99 on a 750.  So now you know as I do now that the VOB BiB is something that the ABC can special order if you're really that keen on it (I'll have to give this another try tomorrow night and see if it grows on me).

Holy hole in the wallet, Batman.  I knew the VA ABC was stocking the 86 proof in some stores but had no idea I could special order the BIB.  Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.:P

REALLY weird! I decided to have another W12 pour tonight and I'm actually digging it (granted, this is my 4th pour - all over 114 proof ((2) OGD114 and (1) OF1920))...

Maybe the only way I can truly enjoy W12 is when I'm lit!!

Tonight I'm getting a LOT of chocolate on the palate - this is the first time I've ever got chocolate from any bourbon. I'm not mad about it at all!

Cheers!

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It was a pretty screwed up day for everyone at my work today. We received some rather sad news. I've worked with one guy for almost 25 years. For many of those years we've worked side by side in the same area. Needless to say, we're friends. We found out today that his wife passed away unexpectedly Saturday. Damn! :( I'm having a pour of 07 WLW this evening in honor of my friends wife. 

Joe 

Well that just sucks Joe. So Sorry to hear this. Why does stuff like this have to happen during Christmas? Not that it's welcome any other time of the year of course, but dang, when it ruins not only this Christmas but many more to come.........life can be cruel. We all honor your friend tonight.

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow this is tasting great tonight, makes Elmer and Blanton's look like JB white.

83e81cf2b06fcb1a219d308a8f8039f6.jpg

Some of the Russell’s picks are lights out. Great value! Might have to have a pour of mine later tonight...

Edited by NYCBourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.