What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

I was drinking Rare Breed while in China so I have an affinity for it right now and that older batch you have there is a really good one. 

Yeah I love the 3RB batch.  So rich and the heat is manageable. 

The immediate  "a-ha" moment for me tonight is that it seems to work extraordinarily well following directly after Elliott's Select (which is OESK).  Maybe just a coincidence, but very interesting nonetheless.  Maybe I need to try vatting a batch together, and inventing Rare Elliott? Lol   

ECNAS PS 2nite. This barrel is pretty good. Not up to to older EC12 though IMHO. Trying to finish the bottle off. 

Cheers

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Elliott's is the first pour tonight.

Going to choose from these three for the next pour:  1792FP store pick, Knob Creek SiB store pick, or WT Rare Breed 108 pf.

If anybody's out there, which one should I go with?

WIN_20171216_230930.JPG

I am late to the party, but I say WTRB. For me 4R and WT pair nicely most of the time. 

A good menu from which to choose   

A nice pour that Elliot's, eh?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah I love the 3RB batch.  So rich and the heat is manageable. 

The immediate  "a-ha" moment for me tonight is that it seems to work extraordinarily well following directly after Elliott's Select (which is OESK).  Maybe just a coincidence, but very interesting nonetheless.  Maybe I need to try vatting a batch together, and inventing Rare Elliott? Lol   

Conventional wisdom states that you are supposed increase in rye content and proof with subsequent pours but I've had some great results following 4R with Turkey products. That said, I have no idea how a vat would work! Worth a shot though since they are both from Lawrenceburg, KY!

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Decided to enjoy a few pours following my family Christmas gathering while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.  Yes, my wife is making me.  However, she allows me to surf the internet while watching.  I am working on a third pour, each progressively smaller, to empty a bottle of Bakers 107.  I still enjoy emptying bottles to make the bunker "appear" smaller.  Is that a bad thing?

I don't know, but drinking from a bottle of Baker's is always a good thing.  Good stuff.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Conventional wisdom states that you are supposed increase in rye content and proof with subsequent pours but I've had some great results following 4R with Turkey products. That said, I have no idea how a vat would work! Worth a shot though since they are both from Lawrenceburg, KY!

Ooh, great points there, especially about the rye content.

But the best thing is that you just inspired me to come up with a much better name:  Lawrenceburg Select!

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I am late to the party, but I say WTRB. For me 4R and WT pair nicely most of the time. 

A good menu from which to choose   

A nice pour that Elliot's, eh?

Cheers

Flahute and I were just discussing this.  Interesting, because although I thoroughly enjoyed both WT and 4R (these might be my 2 favorite regular  drinkers) I never made a connection on pairing them. 

It's unanimous then, WTRB it is!

• I like it 1

Doesn't 4R have a higher rye content than WT? That being said WT seems to have more of a high rye spice characteristic.

From what I understand it comes from WT taking more of the tail in its distillation process? Please educate me senior SBers.

Elliott's is the first pour tonight.

Going to choose from these three for the next pour:  1792FP store pick, Knob Creek SiB store pick, or WT Rare Breed 108 pf.

If anybody's out there, which one should I go with?
WIN_20171216_230930.thumb.JPG.65c8963258230674cab3fc5e5d08986c.JPG

I was going to say, "listen to your heart", but glad you went with the RB.
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Doesn't 4R have a higher rye content than WT? That being said WT seems to have more of a high rye spice characteristic.

Yes. Which is why according to conventional wisdom that WT should come before 4R in a progression. 

Turkey's spice character is why it does well following 4R.

6 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Hunting in West Texas and the local store didn’t have a great selection, but this is hitting the spot after a chilly evening hunt.

2D335251-A48D-4802-A7B1-BC0CF2191C30.jpeg

high level diplomacy

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Whiskey being expressly for drinking, I think emptying bottles is a noble thing to demonstrate. 

Makes my faith in humanity feel just a smidgen more worthy.   Keep up the hearty efforts, my friend.   (It also doesn't hurt too much when the wifey sees the shelf with a bare spot or two, eh?)

4 hours ago, Bourbinvestor said:

Not a bourbon but enjoyed this tonight. It was very good but that being said I can confidently say I enjoy bourbon much more than other types of whisky.

20171216_153114.jpg

turning japanese...i really think

so.

Just got back from a little Christmas shopping this morning. Enjoying a nice pour of MM46. It tastes of chocolate and butterscotch. Every time I have this whiskey, I really enjoy it. 

This isn't bad bourbon cream and coffee.

59845b3c0d8ecd131c53bdff18ef4ec8.jpg

About to grill some steaks, Bills are winning.

Happy Holidays!

This isn't bad bourbon cream and coffee.

59845b3c0d8ecd131c53bdff18ef4ec8.jpg

About to grill some steaks, Bills are winning.

Happy Holidays!
Decided that my new SB Glencairn deserved a first pour of RHF.80cb8be57c766eb6cd088041ef54bf1c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

• I like it 5

Decided to give my open bottle of W12 another try - it's been a while.

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.aee1de4ba0c273ac02bea58bea8d2b33.JPG

Call me crazy but I'm not a HUGE fan of this like most of us on here. I still have some in the bunker that I'm sure I'll find something to do with :ph34r:

Cheers!

• I like it 2

Introduced my brother to some of my favorites, starting with W12, then ECBP B517 and ending with some GT Stagg circa 2009.   It was a very good evening.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Call me crazy but I'm not a HUGE fan of this like most of us on here. I still have some in the bunker that I'm sure I'll find something to do with :ph34r:

Cheers!

I would gladly help you dispose of that if you're looking to part ways! ;)

• I like it 1

Call me crazy but I'm not a HUGE fan of this like most of us on here. I still have some in the bunker that I'm sure I'll find something to do with [emoji185]

Cheers!

Based on the contents of the bottle I would think you're a fan.

How much of this rotgut did you purchase before you realized you didn't like it?

This my absolute favorite blend. Stagg Jr. and OC8yr. The high proof and heat of the Stagg and the low proof sweet wood of OC8 really brings together the best of each.

Whoever first recommended this please let me know so I can call refer to it as your blend going forward.

62f4f7d074c9546996b0761d3fff465e.jpg

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

This my absolute favorite blend. Stagg Jr. and OC8yr. The high proof and heat of the Stagg and the low proof sweet wood of OC8 really brings together the best of each.

Whoever first recommended this please let me know so I can call refer to it as your blend going forward.

62f4f7d074c9546996b0761d3fff465e.jpg

Gorgeous color!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.