What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

Decided to enjoy a few pours following my family Christmas gathering while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.  Yes, my wife is making me.  However, she allows me to surf the internet while watching.  I am working on a third pour, each progressively smaller, to empty a bottle of Bakers 107.  I still enjoy emptying bottles to make the bunker "appear" smaller.  Is that a bad thing?

Whiskey being expressly for drinking, I think emptying bottles is a noble thing to demonstrate. 

Makes my faith in humanity feel just a smidgen more worthy.   Keep up the hearty efforts, my friend.   (It also doesn't hurt too much when the wifey sees the shelf with a bare spot or two, eh?)

1 minute ago, Richnimrod said:

Whiskey being expressly for drinking, I think emptying bottles is a noble thing to demonstrate. 

Makes my faith in humanity feel just a smidgen more worthy.   Keep up the hearty efforts, my friend.   (It also doesn't hurt too much when the wifey sees the shelf with a bare spot or two, eh?)

Don't you know, right!  When my wife sees an empty spot on the shelf, she almost always suggests it is time to fill it.  She actually encouraged me to participate in a couple of lotteries.

• I like it 1

New SB bottle opened for new SB glass!
6E56BA03-9F34-436F-8CA2-B54DBC8CD6E2.thumb.jpeg.91e6f80cbf338f7f217ca10de2b7f784.jpeg

Very nice! I wish I would have been involved in SB at that time and had an opportunity to get some of those!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying some Ezra B. while playing chess with my son. Too bad this has all but disappeared from the shelves.

IMG_7997.thumb.jpg.6b17c43c327defa1b8b0b304cc99464d.jpg

• I like it 1

Interestingly enough the wife asked which bottle to use for bourbon balls and of course I said "use anything you wish, but I will need to replenish the stock". Any reason to revive an opened bottle. She settled on 3 batches...1st of ETL which should be a nice blend, 2nd RHF also a nice option with curious results and finally the flame thrower of GSJR, this may be the new go to of the season. All I know is time to replenish these supplies as I am able to locate. Even in KY it's tough to find quality bottles.

Cheers and enjoy!!!!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I still enjoy emptying bottles to make the bunker "appear" smaller.  Is that a bad thing?

That's what I do! When bottles start to get low I concentrate on them in order to open up space.

In Pennsylvania for a pre-Christmas Christmas weekend. Perfect occasion to break out a new OF1920.

FCCD1367-6F15-4D9E-AF73-DDF9D1A71856.jpeg

I decided to do a little blind tasting with my wife tonight.  
1-. FRSiB store pick OBSQ , first opened Wednesday
2- Blanton's opened first week of September
She tried the FR Wed and did not like it. Tonight was a different story. As she thought it was much better than the Blanton's.   Me, I liked it Wed and clearly thought it was better than the Blanton's.  Usually, we both enjoy Blanton's but  not tonight.    Glad she confirmed as this is my first ever store pick of FR and needed confirmation that it was not just my brain justifying the store pick.    Can't wait to find other FR store picks with different recipes.   image.thumb.jpg.8f487e8a28ad04a8ac1e1acb35cbe323.jpg

Not surprised by the results but somewhat interesting SBS as the I assume the 4R was a much higher proof.

New SB bottle opened for new SB glass!
6E56BA03-9F34-436F-8CA2-B54DBC8CD6E2.thumb.jpeg.91e6f80cbf338f7f217ca10de2b7f784.jpeg

Gosh from the days where HH was probably reaching out to SB begging for them to take a barrel at a good price.

Attended a large, festive party tonight.  In order; OF 1897, WR SB (private selection) and KC.  All good, but the KC took the cake!  The WR was second and OF brought up the rear. 

The WR was a really nice butterscotch bomb and I was shocked when I followed it with the KC and it tasted even better. 

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Gosh from the days where HH was probably reaching out to SB begging for them to take a barrel at a good price.

Not that, at all.  It was a collaborative effort between SB wanting to do a good thing for the Parker's ALS effort, and a willing and generous Heaven Hill Distillery that offered several great barrels for it.  A lot of money was raised for the Parker Beam Promise of Hope.  HH are great folks, and really worked with SB to make it happen.  

• I like it 4

29 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

And that sounds amazing. Eight year wheated finished in cognac barrels.  That color!

Not that, at all.  It was a collaborative effort between SB wanting to do a good thing for the Parker's ALS effort, and a willing and generous Heaven Hill Distillery that offered several great barrels for it.  A lot of money was raised for the Parker Beam Promise of Hope.  HH are great folks, and really worked with SB to make it happen.  

That's a really great story and for a really good cause. Maybe we can try to do something similar again. Understand we aren't going to get something of the same caliber again but to raise some money for something like the Parker's ALS would be worth it.
  • I like it 2

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

HH are great folks, and really worked with SB to make it happen.  

Yes they are. I recently got to experience that first had while working with them on the Parker's Legacy of Hope event that they partnered with the Bourbon Crusaders on. Tremendous people there at all levels. 

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That's a really great story and for a really good cause. Maybe we can try to do something similar again. Understand we aren't going to get something of the same caliber again but to raise some money for something like the Parker's ALS would be worth it.

Indeed, it was a really good cause.  Lots of work behind the scene, and SB members really stepped up to support it.  It would be great to do something like it again.  

• I like it 2

Not a bourbon but enjoyed this tonight. It was very good but that being said I can confidently say I enjoy bourbon much more than other types of whisky.

20171216_153114.jpg

Indeed, it was a really good cause.  Lots of work behind the scene, and SB members really stepped up to support it.  It would be great to do something like it again.  

Really cool, and really good of you guys to put that together.

28 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

That would be so cool!

Elliott's is the first pour tonight.

Going to choose from these three for the next pour:  1792FP store pick, Knob Creek SiB store pick, or WT Rare Breed 108 pf.

If anybody's out there, which one should I go with?

WIN_20171216_230930.JPG

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Elliott's is the first pour tonight.

Going to choose from these three for the next pour:  1792FP store pick, Knob Creek SiB store pick, or WT Rare Breed 108 pf.

If anybody's out there, which one should I go with?

WIN_20171216_230930.JPG

Rare Breed!

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Rare Breed!

Perfect timing, because my glass just went dry!  Okay thanks Steve, I'm on it.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Perfect timing, because my glass just went dry!  Okay thanks Steve, I'm on it.

I was drinking Rare Breed while in China so I have an affinity for it right now and that older batch you have there is a really good one. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.