What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kicked off the evening with a generous pour of WTRB 108 version. After that appetizer, went for some EC12. That pour was so wonderful I decided to have a second one! Damn do I miss the original EC12. Not that the ECNAS is bad, but I will most certainly shed a tear or two when my stock runs out. Good thing that should be a while!

I am a little taken back by how good this is tasting tonight. There is some depth here.

IMG_0392.thumb.JPG.b9bb20cf9ad8079cf8411e0c2df1834e.JPG

• I like it 1

I've been getting into some wheaters. For most, cold weather and the holidays tend to call for ryes and high rye bourbons. For me, it calls for wheaters. This is because I scored my first ever Van Winkles many years ago in December and saved them for Christmas. Ever since then, I've associated wheaters (and all the caramel toffee goodness) with the Christmas season. (Along with the occasional HWMWND intrusion).

So.......tonight - 1792SW followed by RY10yr has me in the spirit.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I've been getting into some wheaters. For most, cold weather and the holidays tend to call for ryes and high rye bourbons. For me, it calls for wheaters. This is because I scored my first ever Van Winkles many years ago in December and saved them for Christmas. Ever since then, I've associated wheaters (and all the caramel toffee goodness) with the Christmas season. (Along with the occasional HWMWND intrusion).

So.......tonight - 1792SW followed by RY10yr has me in the spirit.

I was only able to get one RY10 ... and I am having to ration it. 

5 hours ago, flahute said:

For most, cold weather and the holidays tend to call for ryes and high rye bourbons. For me, it calls for wheaters.

I'm in the minority on this one, too. To me high ryes carry a lot more fruit to the palate and thus are summertime pours in my book.

• I like it 1

Decided last night would be a bottom shelf night for me (bottom shelf of my cabinet, not liquor store bottom shelf).  Started with a healthy pour of regular M46 and then a smaller pour of Bulleit 10 Year.

God Bless. Thanks to a fellow SBer and friend for the swap of a few things. First things thirst:

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.b65d8f7d9cb897d07182fbf65f4a9a76.JPG

Taste buds are okay tonight. 

Huzzah

• I like it 1

God Bless. Thanks to a fellow SBer and friend for the swap of a few things. First things thirst:

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.b65d8f7d9cb897d07182fbf65f4a9a76.JPG

Taste buds are okay tonight. 

Huzzah

Do you like it? Not much of a fan.
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Do you like it? Not much of a fan.

It's meh. Haven't had it in a while.

There isn't much going on for the nose. Some alcohol burn.

taste is better though. Sweet corn and cinnamon but is followed by alcohol for the finish. Tell your esophagus to get ready for the burns!

It's meh. Haven't had it in a while.

There isn't much going on for the nose. Some alcohol burn.

taste is better though. Sweet corn and cinnamon but is followed by alcohol for the finish. Tell your esophagus to get ready for the burns!

You know the barrel I had wasn't as hot as expected and the nose I thought was the best part. The kinda of cooked banana smell which I kinda like. That being said I really didn't care for it, had the Barton terrible cheap Scotch finish.

26 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

You know the barrel I had wasn't as hot as expected and the nose I thought was the best part. The kinda of cooked banana smell which I kinda like. That being said I really didn't care for it, had the Barton terrible cheap Scotch finish.

Funny because yeah it was the other way around for me. Nose was flat. Taste was sweet.

Let me know when you open that Rasputin!

Funny because yeah it was the other way around for me. Nose was flat. Taste was sweet.

Let me know when you open that Rasputin!

Ok Christmas Eve or around, hopefully they'll have more if I like it. They still have Bourbon County Which was way more hyped.

47 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok Christmas Eve or around, hopefully they'll have more if I like it. They still have Bourbon County Which was way more hyped.

Have some of those in the bunker too but have not seen the Rasputin yet.

Edited by Government Beard

Have some of those in the bunker too but dragnet seen the Rasputin yet.

Not fair, looks they are sending all your good Cali beer to Texas. Just like all that Kentucky Weller ends up here as well.

Local LS had a tasting and raffle for some limiteds. I missed out on the GTS and Pappy 12, but got a WSR which I haven't tried yet, and a free bottle of wine and some glasses. Got to try a 1792 which was pretty decent. Tried a ER10 store pick two and brought home too bottles of that.

Now I'm doing a SBS with the ETL I got earlier in the week and a store pick of Blanton's. ETL is softer, almost creamy and and seems to have a little more age, a bit more oak to it. I'm liking the ETL more tonight. Blanton's is a little more rough, funky and intense, which I appreciate sometimes but is not working as well for me as the ETL.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, Government Beard said:

Titans gather!

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.e8949bf24ae50ef56d93b749b91ebca0.JPG

I have always been curious about that one.

• I like it 1

Third pour tonight no shelf control, way too many peanuts on this tonight.

23b8e730beb95fcb2659ea57e5cd7738.jpg

That’s my issue with a lot of the younger KC single barrel picks, too strong of a peanut flavor.

I’m drinking a local ER10 selection that is excellent. Notes of dark chocolate, cinnamon, and blackberry. This barrel was 11 years and 11 months old when it was bottled, and I think the extra age has translated into darker flavors. I’ll definitely be buying some backup bottles.

Tapped the latest GBS selection that arrived just in time for the holidays, a delightful EC single barrel. Last time I tasted this it was months ago at barrel strength and very good, was curious to see what the cut to 94p would bring. Its still good!! yay!! no bitterness, no off notes, this was supposed to be a nice daily sipper and sho nuff that's exactly how I would describe it, a VERY nice daily sipper, and a fine holiday gift as well!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.