What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

The first local store pick of makers private hit STL this weekend.

Confession:

I like Maker's Mark.

Don't hate me... I know it's not what the cool flipper kids drink.

Please ignore the ridiculous 1.75 willett pot still trying to steal the show.

:P

IMAG3017.jpg

Maker’s Mark is good stuff. I don’t keep the regular expression around much these days, but 46, cask strength and now the Private Select are all good choices, especially given how near impossible it is to find a premium wheater

• I like it 1

Here is the stave recipe TW near me has currently. Tons of bottles available and at $79 they are very proud of this one.c3b6beb26d32d7252f5802b68a2b39ed.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Well, I liked the EW BIB that I got the other day so much that I decided to get another Heaven Hill product.

Elijah Hill Small Batch.

I'll open it up and give it a try in an hour or two.

20180212_182356.jpg

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, brock957 said:

Well, I liked the EW BIB that I got the other day so much that I decided to get another Heaven Hill product.

Elijah Hill Small Batch.

I'll open it up and give it a try in an hour or two.

20180212_182356.jpg

Not much to dislike about EC. Many complain its not the old EC12, which it is not, but still a solid buy. I have a couple different new EC store pix that are 12 yrs, and I think they are much better than the old EC12s.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Curious what you think of it and what the blend of staves was on the back! My store did one recently and I know the guy who was primarily responsible for picking it... :D

I had a blind sample of this in the middle of 8 other blind samples from my fellow bourbon friend. This was the only one I picked out that I said I really liked and wanted a bottle of, and this was presented with this one yesterday. Now to find him a bottle of something. 

image.jpg

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 1

I saw the VA ABC near me had ECBP in stock, so I decided to drop by to pick up another of what I assumed was the C917 batch, but I was surprised to see it was the new A118 batch, 130.6 proof. Has anybody tried this one, and if yes, how does it compare to 2017 batches?

IMG_2623.JPG

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, silverc said:

I saw the VA ABC near me had ECBP in stock, so I decided to drop by to pick up another of what I assumed was the C917 batch, but I was surprised to see it was the new A118 batch, 130.6 proof. Has anybody tried this one, and if yes, how does it compare to 2017 batches?

IMG_2623.JPG

Holy Moly. We just got the C917 here 4 weeks ago. I guess we will see that one in June.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Holy Moly. We just got the C917 here 4 weeks ago. I guess we will see that one in June.

Virginia just got the B517 batch in about 2 months ago, and when they released the next round of ECBP, I assumed it was C917, and was very surprised to see A118 instead.

3 hours ago, silverc said:

Virginia just got the B517 batch in about 2 months ago, and when they released the next round of ECBP, I assumed it was C917, and was very surprised to see A118 instead.

I believe it was most of the state that got the C917.  I know I picked up the C917 last week and saw it at another store as well.  I didn't see the A118 anywhere.  I would have definitely picked up that one as well.

Picked up this little 200ml tonight for 3 bucks. This appears to be a pretty old label. Anybody got any ideas on a possible year. The bottom appears to have an 87, but I doubt its that old. Never seen this label before. 

1518495014134971231547.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Picked up this little 200ml tonight for 3 bucks. This appears to be a pretty old label. Anybody got any ideas on a possible year. The bottom appears to have an 87, but I doubt its that old. Never seen this label before. 

1518495014134971231547.jpg

Yeah, definitely not from 87.  Label indicates “No 10 Brand”, which was what HH went to after dropping the “Aged 10 Years” that was in the same font and placement on the label.  (Similar move to what Old Charter et al would do later with disguised age statement drops.). That happened with 1783 sometime around or after 2005, though I can’t pinpoint the exact year from memory.  

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I believe it was most of the state that got the C917.  I know I picked up the C917 last week and saw it at another store as well.  I didn't see the A118 anywhere.  I would have definitely picked up that one as well.

Yeah around me they had the C917 in the ABC's.  Although I did see a random B locally at the same time.  I'm guessing they had a few A and B's in the Richmond warehouse and sent them out with this latest batch

I was finally able to find some of the ECBP C917 today so I bought a couple. I’ll do a blind SBS with the B517 later this week.

Also ran into some JJBowman and so I picked up a couple of those and a Bowman Brothers.

Gifted a JJ and the BB to a friend I introduced to both in a bar on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Grabbed an unexpected W12. Also what I think is an old American Prairie. Girl at HW said for the first ten batches they just marked the bottle with the batch number. Starting with Batch 11 they went to the regular YY#L# format. I went back and picked it up. 

OLD                                                                                                   NEW

enhance                                           enhance

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

Yes, I have a great wife. This is what she got me for Valentine's Day.

I will be opening it in about and hour.

She had to get it from a large liquor store, and it was the last bottle they had.

20180214_192606.jpg

• I like it 1

picked up this Henry McKenna BiB 10 yr from the local liquor store for $33.99. honestly just grabbed it cus its one of the more reasonably priced bottles i've seen around with an aged statement. the owner of the store was impressed i grabbed it, last bottle on the shelf. these probably vary quite a bit from batch to batch, or barrel to barrel, anyone by chance have this one? how'd i do?

IMG_20180214_174950[1].jpg

Edited by socalkid
  • I like it 2

My wife got me the Jack Daniel Sinatra as a Valentine Days gift.  Yes, I believe its a bourbon.  No, I won't debate it.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, socalkid said:

picked up this Henry McKenna BiB 10 yr from the local liquor store for $33.99. honestly just grabbed it cus its one of the more reasonably priced bottles i've seen around with an aged statement. the owner of the store was impressed i grabbed it, last bottle on the shelf. these probably vary quite a bit from batch to batch, or barrel to barrel, anyone by chance have this one? how'd i do?

Haven’t had that barrel but HM10 os pretty consistent and a great value. Mckenna has plenty of fans here on SB and rightly so. 10 years for sub $35?? Of the barrels I’ve had, they do not have a big oak profile, maybe they age these in the lower floors of the HH rick houses??

22 minutes ago, socalkid said:

Henry McKenna is one of my favorites and an excellent value. It is a single barrel product so there is some variance but I've never had a "bad" bottle. A couples bottles I've had didn't start out that great but opened up nicely with some air time. I don't have that particular bottle but I actually do have a bottle that was barreled on the same date. I picked it up because 3-12 is my birthday.

After reading all the hoopla about the JB Distiller's Cut, I grabbed a bottle to go along with an OF Signature 100 that was already in the cart. I tried  a bottle of the OF after Christmas 2016 and was left somewhat undecided on it.  Today's OF isn't bad, it may need a little time after being opened to get a better perspective. The JB bottle will make its debut tomorrow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.