What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Found a "family size" bottle of ER for only $60 in Aspen of all places.  Couldn't pass it up.

These are all over the Front Range of Colorado if you want even more. 

3 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Found a "family size" bottle of ER for only $60 in Aspen of all places.  Couldn't pass it up.

Aspen.JPG

Did you buy that today? You put quite a dent in it. How are you sober enough to type?

After a recent trip to Illinois I brought home these guys. The Angels Envy was a gift from my brother-in-law. The Old Fitz BIB I just needed to restock.

20180225_191351.jpg

Found another oh-so-slightly dusty - an 8yr JB Black Double Aged.  The current NAS Extra Aged Black struck me as meh, instilling no interest in replacing on the shelf - hoping this 8yr leaves a better impression, like the 7yr stated JB Distillers Series has.

20180225_205917.jpg

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Did you buy that today? You put quite a dent in it. How are you sober enough to type?

I had alot of help from my friends

On 2/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, reeko said:

One thing I've been wondering with most posters here, do you all have a monthly budget for your bourbon? Or do you just buy however much you like? How many times do you go to the liquor store?

I've needed to set a budget so I don't get any questions from my wife on how much I've spent. I also go every 2 weeks. I know if I went every week I would always pick something up.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I’m sure it’s different for everyone based on their situation. Since your situation seems similar to mine, I’ll share what my wife and I do. 

Every month we each get $100 as “slush fund” money. We can spend this on whatever we want and it is typically used on things that we don’t consider necessities. For me, this is typically my bourbon money. The balance each month rolls into the next month so if one of us is saving for something we can track it that way. The balance can also go into the negative which is where I am now after buying 6 new bottles within the last few weeks. I think I’m about $100 negative, so I’ll probably lay off buying any new whiskey until April or so once I’m back in the positive. 

The slush fund budget is a fair and balanced way for us to buy things we want, no questions asked, but...we still have to be responsible about it too. 

Hope me this helps. 

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

I’m sure it’s different for everyone based on their situation. Since your situation seems similar to mine, I’ll share what my wife and I do. 

Every month we each get $100 as “slush fund” money. We can spend this on whatever we want and it is typically used on things that we don’t consider necessities. For me, this is typically my bourbon money. The balance each month rolls into the next month so if one of us is saving for something we can track it that way. The balance can also go into the negative which is where I am now after buying 6 new bottles within the last few weeks. I think I’m about $100 negative, so I’ll probably lay off buying any new whiskey until April or so once I’m back in the positive. 

The slush fund budget is a fair and balanced way for us to buy things we want, no questions asked, but...we still have to be responsible about it too. 

Hope me this helps. 

My wife and I do the same thing. We use a separate online bank for savings, we have accounts for various things like vacation, home improvement, etc where money is automatically deposited each month. It's a great way to help with budgeting and long term savings. We each have our own account which gets a set amount each month that we use for our various hobbies. This way we don't argue over whether someone is spending too much on X - you either have the money for it in your account or you don't. It's a good way to keep things from getting to crazy hoarder levels too, or at least slow down the hoarding.

• I like it 2

I had to drive up to the Total Wine in Wisconsin to pick up a certain type of wine for our upcoming wedding and while there I of course took a walk down the Bourbon/Rye aisle. CEHT Straight Rye ($59.99) and 1792 SiB Total Wine pick ($34.99) found their way into my cart as well. That was by far the best price I've seen on the CEHT Rye. I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but was hesitant paying the $80 I usually see it for in Chicago if I stumble across it.

• I like it 1

My wife and I have a sort of an 'arrangement'...

I hide from her the Bourbon, guns, and bullets I buy . . .  :o

And she hides from me her purchases of shoes, blouses, skirts, jackets, seasonal decorations, baby gifts, gambling expenses, and I-have-no-idea-what-else.

This system has worked for years (46) for us.      Kind of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" sort of thing, I guess.    (Though we both know a good deal of what the other is doing, we maintain a pact of plausible deniability.)

Heeeeeeeee-He!

• I like it 6

I previously posted in the what did you pass thread that I passed on a bottle of pewter top Kentucky Spirit because it was $100 plus tax and they only took cash. Well hell.... these opportunities don’t come around every day and the whiskey itself is divine 

36520F32-F341-4D1C-8F5A-4529E7F3349B.png

• I like it 5

Done good in not buying a lot lately, but couldn't help pick up another JB Distiller's Cut.  Seeing a fair amount helped ease my mind of wanting to bunker up (although the guy at the store said they'd had a lot for a while, and hadn't tried it - so I guess word hasn't gotten around yet).  And better yet - the wife had to run to the store when I got home, so I didn't have to go to great lengths to sneak it in! :lol: 

Master of Malt doesn’t mess around when it comes to shipping. 

One bottle stays with me, the rest to friends. 

Ain’t they pretty?

4236BBE8-AF56-4464-9631-E44113A15A9E.jpeg

• I like it 7

Master of Malt doesn’t mess around when it comes to shipping. 

One bottle stays with me, the rest to friends. 

Ain’t they pretty?

4236BBE8-AF56-4464-9631-E44113A15A9E.thumb.jpeg.6d631b5c0248f548ee9bcc08de9b55e2.jpeg

Yeah, their shipping packaging is almost indestructible. Congrats on the Blanton’s Gold!
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, Surtur said:

I previously posted in the what did you pass thread that I passed on a bottle of pewter top Kentucky Spirit because it was $100 plus tax and they only took cash. Well hell.... these opportunities don’t come around every day and the whiskey itself is divine 

36520F32-F341-4D1C-8F5A-4529E7F3349B.png

Nice find. Was this at a LS?

27 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Nice find. Was this at a LS?

Yes, I did a bit of mild dusty hunting around the outskirts of my town, mostly looking for odds and ends, and always on the lookout for old Turkey. I came across this one in a horrible looking store in a terrible part of town but here it is. After spending a few days thinking about the regret I would have for many years at not buying it, I went back.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

And she hides from me her purchases of shoes, blouses, skirts, jackets, seasonal decorations, baby gifts, gambling expenses, and I-have-no-idea-what-else.

This system has worked for years (46) for us.      Kind of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" sort of thing, I guess.    (Though we both know a good deal of what the other is doing, we maintain a pact of plausible deniability.)

Heeeeeeeee-He!

Are you two related to us?  Your arrangement sounds like ours.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Heeeeeeeee-He!

My wife and I have a similar arrangement EXCEPT she has her own gun (S&W 640PC), ammo and CC Permit - thus, she has the combination to the gun safe, too!  She also knows where The Bunker is and all of my other hiding spots for new (!?!) whisk(e)y bottles.  On the other hand, I don't get ask her about any of her purchases.  "What's mine is hers and what's hers is hers."     :ph34r:

Edited by GeeTen
hers is already a "possessive pronoun!" Dang Engrish . . .
  • I like it 3

12 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

BT, WTRB and Johnny Drum PS700c3aba019cdb2df33d2b7089569d29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently became a fan of Johnny Drum.  Very good bourbon with a unique flavor profile, especially for the money.

Picked up a couple of bottles at the ABC before they went off sale tomorrow.  I've never had the OGD114 but I'm envisioning this as a replacement for WTRB. Could be all wrong on that assumption but the OGD114 is not quite half the price of WTRB.

IMG_0041.JPG

• I like it 1

My buddy got me a Weller 12 from California and I picked up a Weller 107 yesterday.  A few days earlier I picked up a scotch, Glendronach 12.  All are awesome!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.