What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found an ETL in a small town LS. Another one had Stagg Jr for $43, but instead went for an Oban14 at a heluva price.

Every Friday my wife and I have Manhattan’s together. We sit in a room in our house referred to as the “Manhattan Room.”  Dark leather chairs, dark wood bookcases, kind of a prohibition era style. It’s my favorite room in the house. I’ve been making our Manhattan’s with bourbon for years, but at the suggestion of some here on the message board I bought some rye last night for the Manhattan’s.  I decided on George Dickel Rye for the Manhattan’s. It was good. The wife didn’t like the rye as much as the bourbon, but it was a nice change for my. My collection is almost exclusively bourbon, but I’ll be adding some more rye to it. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Every Friday my wife and I have Manhattan’s together. We sit in a room in our house referred to as the “Manhattan Room.”  Dark leather chairs, dark wood bookcases, kind of a prohibition era style. It’s my favorite room in the house.

Cool tradition and setup. 

Picked up a RR10 today, as well as yet another Witherspoon private select.  I can't seem to help myself on the latter these days.  The bunker is quickly filling with these.  Sooner or later TW will run out of these barrels but I'll at least be set for awhile.

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.52d2df26dba8e7bb93307169b06450be.JPG

Oh yeah. Warehouse B. I have been picking these up in groups of 2-3. The LS will be finished in another visit or two. Crazy good.

10 hours ago, beasled said:

Gerry's of London correct! 

You have all the tricks, congrats buddy, the Stagg is awesome, trust me. Curious about the 12y from Smooth Ambler, I’ll taste it soon though, I’ve got one coming in ;-) with a 11y ;-) 

Life is good.

Will. 

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

You have all the tricks, congrats buddy, the Stagg is awesome, trust me. Curious about the 12y from Smooth Ambler, I’ll taste it soon though, I’ve got one coming in ;-) with a 11y ;-) 

Life is good.

Will. 

I used to work around the corner from Gerrys a few years ago so know the guys pretty well. 

No complaints here!

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Cool tradition and setup. 

Thanks.

Is that a chocolate Lab in your profile pic? I have a 4 and a 1/2 year old one. He’s awesome. 

41 minutes ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Thanks.

Is that a chocolate Lab in your profile pic? I have a 4 and a 1/2 year old one. He’s awesome. 

Yep, that's Vincey, but she got cancer at far too young an age (six). She passed away in 2013, hard to believe it's been that long. We still haven't mustered the ability to get another dog yet. Chocolate labs are the best.

Edited by dcbt
typo

Picked up a Weller Antique for $27.99, a Blanton’s for $50, and a Hancock’s President’s Reserve for $45. OWA, dare I say, has been everywhere in the Chicago market as of late. Nice change after some lean years. Interestingly, I’ve also seen HPR in 4 different places after years of not seeing it at all. Anyone know if this means BT production is catching up with demand? I certainly have no unique store connections. 

14 minutes ago, hugh jass said:

Picked up a Weller Antique for $27.99, a Blanton’s for $50, and a Hancock’s President’s Reserve for $45. OWA, dare I say, has been everywhere in the Chicago market as of late. Nice change after some lean years. Interestingly, I’ve also seen HPR in 4 different places after years of not seeing it at all. Anyone know if this means BT production is catching up with demand? I certainly have no unique store connections. 

must be rotating distribution. OWA was all over Middle TN last year but can't find it anywhere this year.

5 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Every Friday my wife and I have Manhattan’s together. We sit in a room in our house referred to as the “Manhattan Room.”  Dark leather chairs, dark wood bookcases, kind of a prohibition era style. It’s my favorite room in the house. I’ve been making our Manhattan’s with bourbon for years, but at the suggestion of some here on the message board I bought some rye last night for the Manhattan’s.  I decided on George Dickel Rye for the Manhattan’s. It was good. The wife didn’t like the rye as much as the bourbon, but it was a nice change for my. My collection is almost exclusively bourbon, but I’ll be adding some more rye to it. 

Try Pikesville Rye once.  It makes my favorite Manhattan - and I'm a bourbon drinker.

• I like it 1

must be rotating distribution. OWA was all over Middle TN last year but can't find it anywhere this year.

There was actually a good bit of OWA in West TN this fall, but since it was only released once this year, it sold out within a few days (usually a limit of 2) at each store I know of that received private barrel selections. Stores that didn't get barrels still sold out fairly quickly if they priced it at regular prices.

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.52d2df26dba8e7bb93307169b06450be.JPG

Oh yeah. Warehouse B. I have been picking these up in groups of 2-3. The LS will be finished in another visit or two. Crazy good.

Looks like I need to head to the store on Monday or I'm going to miss out on this barrel...of course I know where I can probably get a good pour if I miss out! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try Pikesville Rye once.  It makes my favorite Manhattan - and I'm a bourbon drinker.

Yeah Dickel is very high rye MGP, you should see a significant difference in the barely legal rye of Pikesville.

Was in NYC yesterday and picked up mic drop on a whim - I asked about it and the guy took $10 off so I paid $89.99...I’ll open it up tomorrow.

On my way home from the airport I stopped in to my LS and they had a store pick FR commemorating their 25th year - owner had it in the basement since 2013 - no age statement but OBSF, 61.1%,warehouse HW and Barrel 29-4H. I’d love to know if this is just a standard 8-9 year old OBSF or something with a little extra age on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, dcbt said:

Yep, that's Vincey, but she got cancer at far too young an age (six). She passed away in 2013, hard to believe it's been that long. We still haven't mustered the ability to get another dog yet. Chocolate labs are the best.

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry to hear that. I don’t know what I’d do if that happened to Everett. He’s such a sweet dog. 

I hope you get another dog soon though. Life’s too short not to be loved by a sweet Lab!

21 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Can you tell us your Manhattan formula?

41 minutes ago, Sour Mash Esq. said:

Can you tell us your Manhattan formula?

The best way to remember how to make a Manhattan is to remember that the area code of Manhattan is 212. I use 2 parts bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, and 2 dashes of bitters, hence 212. 

Usually I use Bulleit bourbon, Buffalo Trace, or occasionally Woodford. I can’t bring myself to use my better bourbons in a cocktail. I sip those neat. I also have a bunch of different bitters I use too which mixes up the flavors nicely.  I use Agnostora, I also have a  Cherry, Orange, Black Walnut, Cherry Bark Vanilla, and Peychaud’s. 

I also have a “smoking gun” that I’ll use to add a little smoked flavor. 

Currently I’m aging Bulleit and Sweet Vermouth (Martini and Rossi? I think) in my mini barrel. I’ve done Old Fashioneds in that before so I’m trying Manhattan now. Should be ready in a few weeks. 

That’s our Manhattan Friday tradition in a nut shell. 

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

The best way to remember how to make a Manhattan is to remember that the area code of Manhattan is 212. I use 2 parts bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, and 2 dashes of bitters, hence 212. 

My area code is 703. Hmmmh I wonder what I could concoct using that? :D

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, grantsi said:

Was in NYC yesterday and picked up mic drop on a whim - I asked about it and the guy took $10 off so I paid $89.99...I’ll open it up tomorrow.

On my way home from the airport I stopped in to my LS and they had a store pick FR commemorating their 25th year - owner had it in the basement since 2013 - no age statement but OBSF, 61.1%,warehouse HW and Barrel 29-4H. I’d love to know if this is just a standard 8-9 year old OBSF or something with a little extra age on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email 4R with the barrel specs on the label, they will tell you the age.

Mail call!!!

IMG_1691.thumb.JPG.593168cbbd0c7d83125f7c30f2488d95.JPG

Really excited to try the ECBP batch 12 SBSBS with my A117 and B517. The contradiction, I've been wanting to try for some time now.

Cheers!

• I like it 3

Sat found me in Memphis for the day so I decided to do a little bourbon surfin' - VERY pleasant results, as I haven't seen any of these in Little Rock (yet).     

Unfortunately had to pass on OWA (first I've seen in the wild in 2+ yrs), $50 Stagg Jr, several ps of 4Rsib, and other opportunites, 'cause the pockets aren't bottomless (and OWA & StJr are already well backed up). 

I've also got several new mandatory stops whenever in the Memphis area...

20180204_142752.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Mail call!!!

Really excited to try the ECBP batch 12 SBSBS with my A117 and B517. The contradiction, I've been wanting to try for some time now.

Cheers!

I’m curious if this was a trade or an actual retailer. I would be surprised that a retailer still had 2016 ECBPs around. Either way it’s a great bourbon there. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.