What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, FlyBill said:

My buddy got me a Weller 12 from California and I picked up a Weller 107 yesterday.  A few days earlier I picked up a scotch, Glendronach 12.  All are awesome!

What part of California? It has been dry where I'm at for a long while.

Another delivery from the motherland... An Elijah Craig BS grenade and a couple 1L AAA 10 star. The two 1L AAA together were still cheaper than the grenade!

Edited by JTaylor

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

Picked up a couple of bottles at the ABC before they went off sale tomorrow.  I've never had the OGD114 but I'm envisioning this as a replacement for WTRB. Could be all wrong on that assumption but the OGD114 is not quite half the price of WTRB.

IMG_0041.JPG

Curious to hear your thoughts on the OGD114.  High proof, high rye like WTRB; although not as aged/refined (so if looking for something similar, it might fall short).  Before the price shot up (back when it was $20-22 a bottle), I thought that was pretty easily the best bourbon available for the money.  

OGD 114 is one of my favorites.  Have a couple of extras stashed at all times.  I like it and the WTRB but to me the flavor profiles are more different than the same.  

• I like it 1

Attention Florida Shoppers!!! At least I think that Publix is a FL LS. My store does not put it on a shelf but if you ask and I did, they had this stashed behind the counter today. My lovely Wifey handed over her card and let me grab this; bottled earlier this month 2/6/18 for $59...

publs.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

Curious to hear your thoughts on the OGD114.  High proof, high rye like WTRB; although not as aged/refined (so if looking for something similar, it might fall short).  Before the price shot up (back when it was $20-22 a bottle), I thought that was pretty easily the best bourbon available for the money.  

How much is it there? OGD114 is $23.99 at TW here.

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

Picked up a couple of bottles at the ABC before they went off sale tomorrow.  I've never had the OGD114 but I'm envisioning this as a replacement for WTRB. Could be all wrong on that assumption but the OGD114 is not quite half the price of WTRB.

A couple of posts between yours and this one, GaryT comments on OGD 114 and WTRB.  I agree with him that they scratch different itches; that is, I view them as "other" instead of "substitutional".  Let me be clearer (no easy feat for me, Bucko) -- I did some searching on SB but could NOT find a discussion on OGD 114 from early 2014 I posted in.  Back then, I hadn't had ANY 114 in my then-50 years of legal drinking so I tried it when 114 was a BOTM.  First few tastes - WTF!! They trying to burn up my mouth with acetone!!  Went to the kitchen for some water.  Walked back into a room FILLED with fruity, spicy fragrance - and it was NOT coming from my cat.  Turns out, as Squire pointed out back then, that 114 does open up with air, does tolerate water (I like it diluted to about 105 proof), but UNLIKE WTRB, it does not lose that rough, raw edge one associates with "real whiskey".

In other words, I have cases (no overstatement) of 114 bunkered @ plus or minus $20 per but still watch for WTRB on sale (like when the Virginia ABC sells the 375s @ per ounce less than the 750) and keep a couple (but no more than four) on hand.  ALSO, 114 makes a good base for vatting with 80 and 90 proofers.

Keep in mind the OGD BIB is my most consumed so your palate might not match mine.

RE:  What I bought?  Haven't gotten my pre-order yet, so . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, Surtur said:

What part of California? It has been dry where I'm at for a long while.

Oakland area, I don't know where or the name of the store.  He has family there and has been frequently hitting places when he's home.  Got two a few weeks ago.  I haven't asked, he'll pick me up stuff if I ask and he can find it.  I've spent two years trying to find one.  I even tried to buy one off of a bar I frequent, but they can't sell it.  Just happy to have one bottle now.

44 minutes ago, FlyBill said:

Oakland area, I don't know where or the name of the store.  He has family there and has been frequently hitting places when he's home.  Got two a few weeks ago.  I haven't asked, he'll pick me up stuff if I ask and he can find it.  I've spent two years trying to find one.  I even tried to buy one off of a bar I frequent, but they can't sell it.  Just happy to have one bottle now.

Well awesome, enjoy it. It’s been very tough to get the 12 for at least 5 years now in the LA area, for less than $200 that is. Special Reserve is everywhere suddenly and Antique has been missing a while again but I have enough to weather at least a few more years of its absence

8 minutes ago, Surtur said:

Well awesome, enjoy it. It’s been very tough to get the 12 for at least 5 years now in the LA area, for less than $200 that is. Special Reserve is everywhere suddenly and Antique has been missing a while again but I have enough to weather at least a few more years of its absence

We have plenty of 107 up here in Washington, special reserve is pretty easy to find if you're persistent.  Working on a trade for some ORVW 10 or 12 and I'm good for a while.  Got a Michters toasted rye a few months ago but haven't opened it.  Got to taste my  buddies though. 

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

ALSO, 114 makes a good base for vatting with 80 and 90 proofers.

Try it vatted with JBB 8 yr if you have any of the 8 year on hand.  Rounds out to a great 100 proof pour. 

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Regular price here is $24.99 and I got it on sale for $2 off. (which pays for my powerball ticket :D )

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Lately it's been $29 at a lot of places here.  Still a solid bourbon, but not the steal it was.  For $24, not a lot that I'd prefer over OGD114, but at $29-$30 - there's more competition.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Passed on a C E H Taylor for $75 only to find a bottle for $60 down the road. 

45132421-254E-472B-9194-8847196862C1.jpeg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Do you hide them in your trunk like I do? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Can’t confirm or deny. 

Hmmmmmmmmm. <_< It seems like CUfan99, Mako254 and Harry might possibly have something in common when it comes to trunk storage. :lol: 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Can’t confirm or deny. 

Let the label tell the truth  :D

Edited by 0895

Grabbed a couple 4R OESK private selections and a Dickel 9 year barrel proof.  

Grabbed a couple 4R OESF PS @ 8yr, 11mo.  Took in a couple flasks and received sample pours of their BT and ER Barrel Proof Samples. I had previously tasted the ER sample and it was amazing at 130°, can't wait to taste the barrel proof BT!

• I like it 1

More 10yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrel and Maker's Mark PS from Specs (and a Yamazaki 18, too - but that doesn't count, eh?).  Got a VOB BiB ($12.19) and HMcK10yr BIB (25.50) + the outrageous Texas sales tax at Twin Liquor's Red Label sale.  Gonna' give the animals here some top shelf bottom shelf bourbon since they drank all of my Belle Meade and Maker's PS a couple of weeks ago.  That'll fix 'em I betcha'!    :lol:

WSR in Tx.jpg

And I think I found out where all the WSR has gone, too.  $16.99 + tax, BTW.  :ph34r:

Edited by GeeTen

20180301_142931.jpg

This week's contribution to the local Texas economy.  And I got the Yamazaki 18 for less than my TW retail price, even after taxes!  :P

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.