What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:53 PM, kevinbrink said:

I think if the prices were opposite I would still go Ritt. 

They are different ends of the rye spectrum to me. The Saz has a more floral, bright, grassy taste where Ritt is more bourbon like...and sometimes I almost get a chocolate thing from it.  I like them both but prefer Saz when making Sazerac cocktails. The price on Ritt goes about $20 to $23. Baby Saz can be had as low as $26 although some places go crazy with the pricing and try to charge $50+. I passed on the bottle shown at $25.86 a couple weeks ago since I already have half of a 750 and a full 1.75. 

20180707_142005-1209x1612.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

How is the new Farmstock release that I see in the background? Is it worth the $99 asking price that I see in my area?

Sorry, didn't try that one. It was an odd and somewhat covert set-up-- and not a typical tasting event.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

That is interesting, Farmstock 1 was marked up around here but seems to have mostly sat on the shelves, batch 2 was priced at $60-$69 everywhere I have seen it which I assumed was just a matter of stores coming to their senses. I'm not a buyer at even that price. 

WP are certainly fine purveyors of shelf turds round these parts. 

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, beasled said:

WP are certainly fine purveyors of shelf turds round these parts. 

You gotta polish 'em once in awhile ;)

• I like it 1

Nice pour of willett 8yr 06A And a small pour of BMH23. 

Much prefer the willett as the BMH is very strange especially on the nose. Almost like evaporating chemicals, like large felt tip marker. Grassy. Palate rights things a little but lots of wood, leather and maybe coconut. 

Edited by Saul_cooperstein

A little 4R OESV 10yr, followed by some KC SB PS rye. I find the rye seems to pair better with the stick.

IMG_4966.JPG

• I like it 2

Doing a SBS of Lot 40 and CEHT for no other reason than they happened to be next to each other in the cabinet. I figured since neither has any corn, it might be kind of interesting. The noses are actually pretty similar though the CHET is a bit drier with more rye spice. After taking a sip of each, the CEHT is spicier, while the Lot 40 is both a bit sweeter and has more oak on the finish. I think the nose is the best part for both.

One of the things that seems unequivocally positive to me about the whiskey boom is the number of rye whiskies that are now available. 

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Spade said:

One of the things that seems unequivocally positive to me about the whiskey boom is the number of rye whiskies that are now available. 

^^^AMEN!!!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing how you can find a good amount of variation in single barrels. Really digging these KC picks. The newly one on the right has a lot more brown sugar and rye taste. Both working nicely with a Drew Estate Sungrown Liga and some Trillium beer a nice coworker bought for me in Boston.

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

• I like it 1

Having a very very good pour of Redemption Rye 10y. I will definitely be buying another bottle. 

6088FB0E-D9C8-4E6D-BCE2-F92385C92970.thumb.jpeg.b7f35055a32400fdb55f3248f8cd6218.jpeg

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having a very very good pour of Redemption Rye 10y. I will definitely be buying another bottle. 

6088FB0E-D9C8-4E6D-BCE2-F92385C92970.thumb.jpeg.b7f35055a32400fdb55f3248f8cd6218.jpeg

Have not, to my recollection, had the 10 but would love to, a few years back at the Beer Bourbon BBQ stop in NYC I did a seminar where we tasted the 7, 8 and 9 yr bottles and the 7 was my favorite. I bought the next bottle I saw and since have bunkered  few when I have seen them at a good price. For a while there SAOS Rye took it's place when it seemed like a better value but that is clearly a thing of the past. Glad I have a bunch of these and even more happy I know where to find more at a good price.

y4mdXCVZCboETG41CZ9tZj3IWfEUYyLMY2MJZorv

Wish I could say the same about this gem of a bottle

y4mMdo23pqE0cBW8IoQrMlZhUigBoHukVxBM0u-R

Edited by kevinbrink

On 8/7/2018 at 11:03 PM, beasled said:

Recently acquired from an ABC in NC. Terrific so far. 

Screenshot_20180807-220108_Photos.jpg

I like your style, cheers man! 

Will.

Edited by Masset1982

23 hours ago, LCWoody said:

So this is part of the same series as what kevinbrink posted? Very nice bottle design. I'll be on the lookout, I am a fan of their younger releases. 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

So this is part of the same series as what kevinbrink posted? Very nice bottle design. I'll be on the lookout, I am a fan of their younger releases. 

I'm sure it is, I did a sbs with the Willett in that picture (witch is the same juice) and it was much better then the Willett. 

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The rebranded/updated the packaging last year but otherwise same thing well aged Barrel Proof batched MGP Rye. 

Having some Redemption 10y BP rye tonight. I cant get enough of this rye, very good.

Damn this Hochstadter's 16 is something special thanks @KyleCBreese I liked the LS&B 13 better than the 16 and figured the Hocstadter's 16 was just a proofed up version of that which I found over oaked, but this is really not what I expected.

y4m9DXc8ZPce2VPCQ2y1CN54MCaf5qJU37lMjx_1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Damn this Hochstadter's 16 is something special thanks @KyleCBreese I liked the LS&B 13 better than the 16 and figured the Hocstadter's 16 was just a proofed up version of that which I found over oaked, but this is really not what I expected.

The Hochstadter's 16 really is fantastic.  How is the WP store pick you were having next to it.  I generally really like those too and that's a good comparison of the Alberta rye.

7 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

The Hochstadter's 16 really is fantastic.  How is the WP store pick you were having next to it.  I generally really like those too and that's a good comparison of the Alberta rye.

This one in particular is really oak forward, not my favorite WP pick, but would probably appeal more to someone who was more into that profile. Ended up chasing with a higher proof WP pick that was kind of the happy medium between the two but didn't finish nearly as nicely as the Hochstadter's  

Edited by kevinbrink

Some WP SP at 113.7 proof. This and all ryes seem to pair nicely with a spicy stick. I’m having a spicy Cain Habana cigar and I’m surprised how it’s bringing out the sweetness of rye. I haven’t been a fan of the WP but these go very well together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.