What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I realize I've been out of it on here for awhile, but ER101 is now a moniker for someone's private blend?  In my day ER101 referred to the old Eagle Rare 101.  I may need to go back to the SB dictionary...

No, you didn't miss anything. This is a new one.

It's a variation on the Stagg Jr. blend that some of us have been doing for a while now. OC8, BT, and ER10 all work great with Jr. I particularly enjoy the ER10 blend because it adds some age along with the sweetness to really round out the edges of JR. Can't say I've ever dialed it in to 101 proof though which is a great idea.

^ Okay thanks Steve, gotcha on that.  Yet another reminder that I really need to try that blend with Stagg Jr.  Something I keep saying I'm going to do, but haven't gotten to yet.

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I brought one last Fall to the Gazebo/West Wing tables, and almost had to bribe folx to try it!     I find it excellent, and preferred it to much of what was available.

In fact, I wound up drinking more of it than anything else, and maybe more of it than everybody else put together.     That one is long gone now; but I have one more, I think. 

I may bring the sister (OBSK) with me next week.    I have two of those left... both unopened.

Funny - I remember liking this, but not as much as the OBSK.  Hadn't poured this in probably a year or more, and had forgotten how much this shines on its own!

11 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Some of the ER101 I mixed up in my new glass. This blend in great. All the cherry cola nose and caramel sweetness of Stagg Jr. without the painful afterburn. 

FE0C5AFA-9C1E-47AB-99CC-3B982BEB6086.jpeg

Sooooo jealous, i need some of those glasses. What blend is it ? ER 10 and .... Cheers man! 

Will. 

Funny - I remember liking this, but not as much as the OBSK.  Hadn't poured this in probably a year or more, and had forgotten how much this shines on its own!

Yeah, I would be willing to take any of this GBS 4R picks you guys seem to just have lying around and don’t like “as much”. My last three bottles are getting lonely and I wouldn’t want you guys to have to store something so meh. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

That was my original opinion as well.    Both were excellent pix; but, for me the slightly bolder OBSK was originally the fave of the two.

Over time the two have switched places in my pecking order, maybe that's why I have only one left, eh? 

I'm sure it's my preference that has changed, and not the juice in the bottles. 

The subtler OESO is just so refined, and complex! 

As I said earlier, I'll bring one of the 2 OBSK's to the Gazebo, and 're-acquaint' myself with it, having finished the previous bottle about 4-months ago.

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

I realize I've been out of it on here for awhile, but ER101 is now a moniker for someone's private blend?  In my day ER101 referred to the old Eagle Rare 101.  I may need to go back to the SB dictionary...

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Sooooo jealous, i need some of those glasses. What blend is it ? ER 10 and .... Cheers man! 

Will. 

Apologies, for confusion.  Probably should have posted in the Vatting Thread where "ER101" discussion was.  I just wanted to show off my new glass and did not want to double post.

This is a mix of a store pick ER and Stagg Jr approximately 3:1, calculated at 100.8 proof or as close to 101 as I could reasonably make.  The exact recipe and math is in the vatting thread.  Highly recommend this blend. . . and this glass!

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Apologies, for confusion.  Probably should have posted in the Vatting Thread where "ER101" discussion was.  I just wanted to show off my new glass and did not want to double post.

This is a mix of a store pick ER and Stagg Jr approximately 3:1, calculated at 100.8 proof or as close to 101 as I could reasonably make.  The exact recipe and math is in the vatting thread.  Highly recommend this blend. . . and this glass!

That can be bad, I’ve never tried mixing two bourbons together, maybe I will. The SB.com glass looks pretty nice, sadly, being in Europe, I can’t get it. Thx for the heads up. 

Will.

Long day. Day off tomorrow. 

Cracked this RRSiB. Thanks to @kevinbrink for hooking me up with this. It's excellent. 

Screenshot_20180419-204442.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 3

58 minutes ago, beasled said:

Long day. Day off tomorrow. 

Cracked this RRSiB. Thanks to @kevinbrink for hooking me up with this. It's excellent. 

Screenshot_20180419-204442.jpg

That one was one of my favorites from the last couple years, glad you like it. I have one from Bayway open now that has some kind of nose but otherwise that Liqour Outlet bottle tops it across the board.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

That one was one of my favorites from the last couple years, glad you like it. I have one from Bayway open now that has some kind of nose but otherwise that Liqour Outlet bottle tops it across the board.

The nose on this is excellent too! Classic Turkey. 

• I like it 1

I was looking around the local ABC and decided to try this out for $22. It's complex for the price. My daily is EWbib which isn't terrible, but this blows it out of the water.

WP_20180419_18_36_18_Pro.jpg

• I like it 1

Well.............. long story. ;) But y'all know me, so what the heck. :lol:  I'm a veteran, and a member of my local American Legion Post. My post accepts used and worn American flags, and disposes of them properly. The powers that be at my work place know this, and for the last 24 years I've been the one designated to take care of this when needed. FWIW, I really don't mind, and actually consider this somewhat of an honor. Today, I replaced our worn out flag  (At half staff mind you, in honor of former First Lady Barbara Bush.) with a new one. 

Anyway, I dropped off the flag, and decided to stick around and have a quick beer. I looked up at the back bar, and low and behold/much to my surprise, there was a bottle of BT:o Our Wednesday night bourbon and cigar group will be pleased. ;) The Legion had most of the Beam Small Batch Collection, but over the last couple of years, our group pretty much drank it all. I asked the bar manager if she could get something in like BT, and she said she'd try. It looks like she succeeded. Now if only the freakin' weather would cooperate so we could have a pour and sit outside on the patio and have a cigar. So, where were we? Oh yeah. What bourbon am I enjoying?  I had a beer and a pour of BT at the Legion. I had another pour of BT when I got home. What can I say?  :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Double Booker's at the Atlanta airport-- the gal is apologizing that it's 15 bucks. 

As a side note-- I just watched a grown man order a Bailey's on ice. To each his own. 

IMG_9028.thumb.JPG.d4193016f30a99f81ca9f00f9ba73bb2.JPG

• I like it 4

47 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Double Booker's at the Atlanta airport-- the gal is apologizing that it's 15 bucks. 

As a side note-- I just watched a grown man order a Bailey's on ice. To each his own. 

When I was a bar back/ part time bartender at the Hot Fish Club there was a guy that came in almost every day and ordered Coors Light ‘on the rocks’. A rocks glass w/ ice and an open bottle of coors light. He’d pour some in, sip it, and pour some more. 

For me tonight, a treat. A fellow bourbon enthusiast shared a boatload of Eagle Rare store picks (all from the west coast) with me. Cracking one now. 

749CDB8D-5E62-448F-A8C4-376D898C54F5.jpeg

• I like it 1

Not a fan of most “finished “ bourbons, but this one agrees with my palate.3bc6113cd16e1ca96e7ac9673f5a3232.jpg

580f0267787b6a46a959acf8b9811f20.jpg
Some WT101 on the plane. headed home after a week in Pittsburgh.

• I like it 2

Ahh. Back to ol’ reliable. If you are on the fence about Wild Turkey or are looking for something that is very very good and generally available, pick up a Russells Reserve single barrel. The standard off the shelf picks are quality and some of the store picks are excellent. Generally 8-9 years, 110 proof, NCF. 

7CFED2B5-3BB4-4F84-9F75-8447780C9850.jpeg

• I like it 2

I've been going back and forth between a PS RRSB and PS KCSB (13 yrs/10 months). 

I can't quite decide which of the two is the most stellar, but it's a tough job, and ...:P

• I like it 1

Back into my one and only Blanton's Gold tonight and as always, I'm loving it. We have to figure out how to get BT to sell this whiskey here!

• I like it 1

^^^^So, how did that BC 12 year old hold up in that lineup?  My best guess is that it kicked some ass in the mouthfeel and complexity departments!     

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I always go for KCSiB at the Delta Sky Club but Bookers is also a great choice!

Well, yesterday evening, I've tasted the famous Booker's Rye, to be honest, i was hoping to dislike it, mostly because its impossible to find at a reasonable price, but f..., it's freaking good. For a rye, it's very bourbon like though and pretty unique from what I've tried so far, i'd love to get a whole bottle, maybe i'll try to trade for one, but no way i'm paying €600 (i've seen way worst) for it . i'd rate this with a solid A, it's very complex and super tasty. 

Cheers! 

Will. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.