What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Kicking off Friday with one of my top fives: PHC 2012 BoM.  Just a deliciously well balanced high proof whiskey. 

Ooooooh!    This is one of my all time faves as well.     I'm vicariously enjoying your pour along with ya' son.     I can remember the high points and it basically hit's 'em all.    Excellent 'celebration' Bourbon.

After reading Bruce's recent post regarding this spirit, I was surprised to be greeted with a sample tasting at my local LS. It's young, yet interesting-- with a super-chewy mouthfeel, liquified delicate Corn Chex delivery and a dignified 100 proof. I have the Southern Amaro (neutral corn spirit vs. grappa base) and South Carolina Agricole from HighWire Distilling-- at least they're trying hard to champion a sense of place over in Charleston.

IMG_8951.thumb.jpg.b61d08b352a23ee908218025538d1bb6.jpg

• I like it 3

It sounds blasphemous,  but I'm enjoying a Manhattan with BBS, Dolin vermouth  & Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel aged bitters.   

20180406_212427.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

I have to say I cracked a newer Old Granddad Bonded last night and it was a spectacular pour. Good rye spiciness but nothing over whelming, good caramel and vanilla and alcohol burn, moderate oakiness. It was shockingly good. I thought quality would drop after Suntory muscled in, but I have to admit I liked it before and I like it even more now. 

Gonna have to pick up a case so I have some over time. Wish I had gotten a case of HH 6 year and EC12 while I had the chances, but I didn't know better then, didn't think EC12 would leave us and didn't know yet how much I would love the HH6 year. And when you find a cheap bourbon that hits the sweet spot, now I know, buy a case.

EDIT: oh man. Just was on the wikipedia for Bourbon and the photo has an EC12 and some OHH it looks like. Oh fond memories.

here's the image address:DecaturBourbons.jpg

Edited by Dannabis
  • I like it 1

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It sounds blasphemous,  but I'm enjoying a Manhattan with BBS, Dolin vermouth  & Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel aged bitters.   

20180406_212427.jpg

What sort of penny did this bottle set you back?

How do you like it?

3 hours ago, Dannabis said:

EDIT: oh man. Just was on the wikipedia for Bourbon and the photo has an EC12 and some OHH it looks like. Oh fond memories.

here's the image address:DecaturBourbons.jpg

...And, Blanton's and Black Maple hill, and Elijah Craig 18-year, and......    Some nice stuff.    Sadly those days are gone; maybe forever.     :(

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Dannabis said:

What sort of penny did this bottle set you back?

How do you like it?

I snagged this one at a liquor store on a golf trip in Myrtle Beach. I think was ~ $50.00.  

I like it a lot. I should've bought another bottle.

• I like it 1

IMG_1747.JPG
Good stuff. May be in the empty bottle support group thread later haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a very good glass of Murray Hill Club tonight. This has been a very good bourbon. Its a hell of a talent to blend bourbon that comes from the same distillery and make it taste so much different then others that bottle the same juice. 

• I like it 1

Charter 101. This tastes just like it should be Weller 101. Much better than WSR but just a little short of OWA.   I think I'd buy it again. 

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Charter 101. This tastes just like it should be Weller 101. Much better than WSR but just a little short of OWA.   I think I'd buy it again. 

It's not wheater but it is a sweet bourbon, that's for sure. Try mixing a little into Stagg Jr.

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's not wheater but it is a sweet bourbon, that's for sure. Try mixing a little into Stagg Jr.

Do you get the similarities to weller or is that just because I filtered mine into an OWA bottle (saw a floater in the OC101)? Either way, I see what you're saying about the caramel..this is not a bad bourbon at all.  I like the proof a lot.

• I like it 1

4FF80B32-CD5C-4CF3-8FC1-A63E5270CD0F.thumb.jpeg.5661c2b15812d533a0788b892ee366a1.jpeg

I’m really enjoying this, had some Mitchers 10yo before, this one is way better and a third of the price of the M10.

Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

4FF80B32-CD5C-4CF3-8FC1-A63E5270CD0F.thumb.jpeg.5661c2b15812d533a0788b892ee366a1.jpeg

I’m really enjoying this, had some Mitchers 10yo before, this one is way better and a third of the price of the M10.

Cheers! 

Will. 

Awesome stuff. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

Will. 

Curious which release of M10?

7 minutes ago, El Vino said:

^^ Nice stick too!

Thanks!  

I've been sitting on this one for a long time. I'm 2/3rds the way in, and every puff is superb.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Spelling

I'm enjoying some good 4R ps obsv. One more week to go then it's vacation. 8f21328437fada696b472bbae499963e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

Getting to the end of another Blanton’s. Always a winner.

82CB2A2A-5730-4A67-91D0-B5774A0ED91A.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 4

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star 90 proof.  I bought this handle some weeks ago for $27.  Today, I added sufficient water to take it down to about 60 proof (started early after working outside).  I can still taste its parts, AND they all still fit together.  Amazing stuff this is.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.