What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

I got enough whiskey right now though. 

What the heck are they putting in that Missouri water, 0895?    "Enough whiskey"???!!!???  :o  I'm not sure anybody I know has ever made such a ridiculous statement ... ever.  :lol:

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

What the heck are they putting in that Missouri water, 0895?    "Enough whiskey"???!!!???  :o  I'm not sure anybody I know has ever made such a ridiculous statement ... ever.  :lol:

All I'm saying, is thats what my wife told me.

Coming home with another bottle from the grocery store would not have gone over so well.

:)

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Coming home with another bottle from the grocery store would not have gone over so well.

Hey!   If that wife of yours is darned stubborn, leave the newly acquired bottles at your girlfriend's house . . . or is she also a problem?  :D

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

OK as enablers, let us help you through this dilemma.  Next time your wife mentions you have too much whiskey explain to her that whiskey is like shoes, purses or earrings, you can never have too many bottles.  You need to be prepared for every occasion.  

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

You don't have to bring it into the house while she is standing there watching.

• I like it 3

Passed on a shelf full of KC Cask Strength Rye today. Also SA Big Level, WP Farmstock 1 & 2, BH2x2, and HW YKY. Seems like a lot of the more "unique" things aren't selling as well anymore and people really just want a good solid bourbon or rye without gimmicks.

20180724_171951.jpg

• I like it 1

Seems like a lot of the more "unique" things aren't selling as well anymore and people really just want a good solid bourbon or rye without gimmicks.
20180724_171951.thumb.jpg.478095b9d5479221d0742258a73eef5f.jpg

I knew if I waited long enough then my point of view would become cool again. Now if only things would turn around so that I could pull out the parachute pants that I’ve been hanging onto.
  • I like it 3

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on a shelf full of KC Cask Strength Rye today. Also SA Big Level, WP Farmstock 1 & 2, BH2x2, and HW YKY. Seems like a lot of the more "unique" things aren't selling as well anymore and people really just want a good solid bourbon or rye without gimmicks.

20180724_171951.jpg

Cask strength rye at 9 years old doesn't sound gimmicky to me. I just wish it didn't have flavor packets added. ;)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Cask strength rye at 9 years old doesn't sound gimmicky to me. I just wish it didn't have flavor packets added. ;)

True..the KC rye one isn't really gimmicky.  I guess Big Level isn't really either..just a young wheater..but it does taste different than most.  Mostly the others I was referring to.  I'm not sure I get the flavor packets comment?  While I was there at least 2 people came in and picked up a 1.75 white label Evan Williams.  Went straight to it, picked it up and walked to the register. Something to be said for just getting a well made, low priced bourbon that you know you like already.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'm not sure I get the flavor packets comment? 

I think he was poking fun at Beam.  Since the label doesn't say "straight" rye, some have speculated that it may not meet the requirements.  Rye that's not straight can have coloring or flavor added.  I believe Beam has responded to these concerns by stating that the Cask Strength Rye meets all the requirements and could be labeled "straight" if they chose to. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I think he was poking fun at Beam.  Since the label doesn't say "straight" rye, some have speculated that it may not meet the requirements.  Rye that's not straight can have coloring or flavor added.  I believe Beam has responded to these concerns by stating that the Cask Strength Rye meets all the requirements and could be labeled "straight" if they chose to. 

Figured fun was being poked at something...I just wasn't sure what. :P

On 7/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, PaulO said:

You don't have to bring it into the house while she is standing there watching.

Guess I'm not the only one who waits till the wife is out to add the new aquired bottle to the shelf.

• I like it 4

8 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Guess I'm not the only one who waits till the wife is out to add the new aquired bottle to the shelf.

You got that right...????

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

20180724_171951.jpg

It seems we are just reaching over saturation in general. There are so many damn bottles when you go to the store now that most people don’t know what to get and they buy what they’re most familiar with or what they saw on the internet/someone told them to buy 

On 7/25/2018 at 12:20 AM, Clueby said:

20180724_171951.jpg

Nothing wrong for reaching for what you know and like. Different is good too, but what to try is what i debate when I'm standing in front of the shelves. Anything less than 50$ is usually an easy choice, it's only when it gets above that, to me ,the desicion takes much more thought.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:05 PM, Surtur said:

It seems we are just reaching over saturation in general. There are so many damn bottles when you go to the store now that most people don’t know what to get and they buy what they’re most familiar with or what they saw on the internet/someone told them to buy 

I believe this to be true, and I'm one of those people.  Every time I turn around, it seems like a new iteration is hitting the shelves, and usually at prices that boggle the mind.   Some are great, but not for the current pricing (at least to me).

I feel I'm well enough versed to deduce things I like, but I do take the opinions of a number of folks here pretty seriously.  There are several bottles I've loved over the past year that I probably would have walked past if not for mention on SB.  Things like BM SiB PS, OF1920, SAOS SiB.  There are a few I wish I wouldn't have tried- HWMWND being one- but that just proves there is still room for refinement. 

Went into hole in the wall store by house, new kid working.  I asked if he had any bourbon not on the shelf, pulls out Baby Saz and Weller SR.  I said I will take them both, he rings up Baby Saz first at 175$.... Said no thanks and left.... This is getting out of hand......

• I like it 1

A month or so ago, I was startled to see a whole shelf full of Saz Rye @ $33 a bottle.  I like it, but even at that price competition is tough.  I bought other stuff.  Even after several weeks, the store seems to still have most or all of them.

10 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Went into hole in the wall store by house, new kid working.  I asked if he had any bourbon not on the shelf, pulls out Baby Saz and Weller SR.  I said I will take them both, he rings up Baby Saz first at 175$.... Said no thanks and left.... This is getting out of hand......

$175 for Baby Saz!!!!??? I don't think I'd pay that for Saz 18. I thought the $50 a local store wanted for Baby Saz was ridiculous. I can't even fathom $175. I just passed on a bottle of it at $25 since I have a couple already...including a 1.75L in the bunker.

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I don't think I'd pay that for Saz 18

Pick it up for your rye-loving friend then, please. 

;)

12 minutes ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Passed on forester 1920 at Costco for $46.99

Thats the lowest ive ever seen that priced. All but one time its been $59.99

Passed on forester 1920 at Costco for $46.99

A bottle or two or three would have come home with me at that price.
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.