What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Fishin49er said:

Got an email at 12:30 that a store just across the state line received their PS BT and WA107. Prices were high for me so I decided to pass, $38 for the BT and $52 for the Weller. Received another email at 5:30 saying the entire lot of Weller was sold out already. Crazy.

Those dudes are border line crooks.  Their pricing and specially their lottery system is BS.  

11 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Those dudes are border line crooks.  Their pricing and specially their lottery system is BS.  

Yeah Ive only bought a couple of bottles from them. They're prices are always higher. They had a MMPS not too long ago and they were asking $90. 

• I like it 1

Kentucky Owl Rye batch #2 for $190 on K&L's web site.  Just way too much money.  I hope this sits on the shelves like Knob Creek's recent +$100 overreaches.  Seemed they learned their lesson and priced the KC barrel proof rye at a reasonable $70. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

Yeah Ive only bought a couple of bottles from them. They're prices are always higher. They had a MMPS not too long ago and they were asking $90. 

Their lottery shenanigans did me in....

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, fosmith said:

Kentucky Owl Rye batch #2 for $190 on K&L's web site.  Just way too much money.  I hope this sits on the shelves like Knob Creek's recent +$100 overreaches.  Seemed they learned their lesson and priced the KC barrel proof rye at a reasonable $70. 

It's funny the value of KC SB store picks hurts their LE's if BT put out a 13 year CS bourbon like KC 25th people would be paying stupid $$ on the secondary. Hell Woodford put out a NAS Barrel Proof and I have seen people speak it's praises and it is priced the same as KC 25th, some of those people ranted and raved about the Booker's price increase. To my tastes Beam is just behind WT and right with HH in terms of my enjoyment, I appreciate that everyone has their own tastes but in terms of value there are some false dichotomies in the bourbon world. 

It's funny the value of KC SB store picks hurts their LE's if BT put out a 13 year CS bourbon like KC 25th people would be paying stupid $$ on the secondary. Hell Woodford put out a NAS Barrel Proof and I have seen people speak it's praises and it is priced the same as KC 25th, some of those people ranted and raved about the Booker's price increase. To my tastes Beam is just behind WT and right with HH in terms of my enjoyment, I appreciate that everyone has their own tastes but in terms of value there are some false dichotomies in the bourbon world. 

You stated the quandary that Beam has put itself in with KC Single Barrel private selections. It makes it hard to justify the pricing on any Beam LE or even Booker's given the quality and price comparison that will always be made with KC Single Barrel.

The Woodford Barrel Proof is excellent bourbon, and I agree that it is more expensive than it should be, but Woodford doesn't really have that one bottle that is much lower priced that is used as a benchmark against their LE products. However, if the Double Oak private selections show as much promise as one I helped select recently, that may change...and of course their is OF 1920 that is praised by some, but also close to Booker's current pricing.

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You stated the quandary that Beam has put itself in with KC Single Barrel private selections. It makes it hard to justify the pricing on any Beam LE or even Booker's given the quality and price comparison that will always be made with KC Single Barrel.

The Woodford Barrel Proof is excellent bourbon, and I agree that it is more expensive than it should be, but Woodford doesn't really have that one bottle that is much lower priced that is used as a benchmark against their LE products. However, if the Double Oak private selections show as much promise as one I helped select recently, that may change...and of course their is OF 1920 that is praised by some, but also close to Booker's current pricing.

Well I have yet to have a KC single barrel that I enjoy as much as Booker's, the KC LE's are another thing all together, I like most have not tried them because they don't seem to be a good value but I often wonder if I'm missing out on something when I pass them up at the store. 

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well I have yet to have a KC single barrel that I enjoy as much as Booker's, the KC LE's are another thing all together, I like most have not tried them because they don't seem to be a good value but I often wonder if I'm missing out on something when I pass them up at the store. 

I love the KC SiB PSs but I agree that Booker's is generally better and worth the extra $$.  The KC LEs are not, IMO.  I bought two of the 25th on sale for $100 each and it was no better than a good KC SiB PS

I’ve got some 12 to 14 year old KC Single Barrel Private Select bottles that hold their own quite well against Booker’s, and they were all bought for at least $30 less than current Booker’s pricing. I like them both, but think KC Single Barrel Private Selects are one of the best values in bourbon today. I also bought quite a few Booker’s before the price increase, so I won’t be buying any more for quite some time. Obviously everyone’s palate is different, so you may not have the same opinion.
  • I like it 1

Passed on a 1.75 of ER for $50 because I don’t really need it, but things may change and I’ll go back and grab one. 

47 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Passed on a 1.75 of ER for $50 because I don’t really need it, but things may change and I’ll go back and grab one. 

This NJ contingent seems to be in an ER mood all of a sudden ;) 

Good news Astor Wines has an 11 Year Smooth Ambler pick, bad news they priced it at $150.....

Big Level at $52. A little curious to try it but haven’t seen any posts raving about it. 

4 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Big Level at $52. A little curious to try it but haven’t seen any posts raving about it. 

I paid $54 for mine. Have seen multiples at that price but haven't felt the need to get another.  I won't rave about it but I think its a solid effort from a distillery that I definitely support where they are heading.

4 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I paid $45 and I wouldn't buy another for $20, maybe I'll check in again in a few years.

• I like it 1

I passed up on some woodford reserve masters collection batch proof. Oddly enough it was priced at $67.99. Upon further investigation it seems as MI had the state min at $65.99 and then corrected it to a new state min of $129.99. I’m still not sure if it’s worth picking up at $67.99 knowing that the last master collection I drank was the cherrywood smoked barely in which I absolutely hated. I’m tempted to go back though. Any recommendations?

Edited by Adam777

24 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

I passed up on some woodford reserve masters collection batch proof. Oddly enough it was priced at $67.99. Upon further investigation it seems as MI had the state min at $65.99 and then corrected it to a new state min of $129.99. I’m still not sure if it’s worth picking up at $67.99 knowing that the last master collection I drank was the cherrywood smoked barely in which I absolutely hated. I’m tempted to go back though. Any recommendations?

Everything I've read is that may be their best masters collection yet. I'm not a big BF drinker, but I'd probably pick it up for $67.99. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Sounds like somebody f’d up and made a significant error in pricing?  Go back and let them know they errored, and that they should price it correctly.  You’ll like yourself better in the morning...and your Bourbon Karma numbers will increase exponentially...  :D

• I like it 1

I actually mentioned it to one of employees that I know and he said it looks like it worked in your favor. Maybe I’ll wait and tell the owner but I don’t see him that often. The karma might work the other way around because the owner always upsells all the “rare” stuff. He had baby saz for $59.99! 

8 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

The karma might work the other way around because the owner always upsells all the “rare” stuff. He had baby saz for $59.99! 

Double Karma points if you rise above his gouging pricing.  Triple, if you tell the owner that his employee is f’ing him, and he fires the turd.  :D

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Double Karma points if you rise above his gouging pricing.  Triple, if you tell the owner that his employee is f’ing him, and he fires the turd.  :D

Man I could use double karma points for sure! 

Just now, Adam777 said:

Man I could use double karma points for sure! 

Most of us need Quads!!!  :D

I was not too fond of the cherry wood smoked barley either, but the batch proof is really good bourbon. I’ve got a bottle, but I’d be buying several more at that price.

At a grocery store near the hotel... disappointing to say the least 

IMG_9998.thumb.JPG.49057ab123d0da953aacebeb3e9b5745.JPG

• I like it 1

Passed on both, but seriously tempted to buy the 86p red dog saloon bottle for $6 less than the 80p “normal “ bottle.  I got enough whiskey right now though. 

4A6DC38D-B1A0-4B16-BA63-F5C6178EEB4A.jpeg

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.