What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On June 17, 2018 at 12:26 AM, Kane said:

A shelf full of ECBP Cxxx for $64, which happens to be the best price I've ever seen in person. Then I surprised myself and passed thinking that I already have enough whiskey to last me a lifetime or two ;)

Coming to the realization that one has enough whiskey, and actually starting to pass on things kinda sucks don't it?  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

I almost forgot.... :P I passed on EW BIB Saturday, and again today. The price was right, I was just pissed.  :angry:  I was told by a sales rep that he could get it on the shelf at this store in two or three weeks. That was 4 years ago. Well, it finally showed up. The kicker is that the same sales rep just so happened to be at this store when I was there Saturday, and again today. And no, I didn't say anything. <_<

Also and FWIW, the Old Fitz BIB that I passed on Saturday is now gone. It wasn't me. :huh:

Biba! Joe

18 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

564E85E3-87B7-424C-B8FC-C29B9023B4F3.thumb.jpeg.d84063ffae490748e292db7ad35629bd.jpeg

Hard pass on the one in the middle. 

I'm currently having the first pour from a store pick Belle Meade 10 year Single Barrel (my 2nd bottle of this). I paid roughly $55, and it's worth every bit of that. If you like higher rye bourbons you may want to try a pour. 

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I'm currently having the first pour from a store pick Belle Meade 10 year Single Barrel (my 2nd bottle of this). I paid roughly $55, and it's worth every bit of that. If you like higher rye bourbons you may want to try a pour. 

Yeah, I was trying to figure out the meaning of "hard pass" vs "hard to pass" in the post.  I have a PS bottle open and quickly bought a backup of BM CS SiB in the $60 neighborhood.  I know its MGP, but it's like SAOS SiB MGP, not cheap Redemption MGP.  Good stuff, IMO, even at that price...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

564E85E3-87B7-424C-B8FC-C29B9023B4F3.thumb.jpeg.d84063ffae490748e292db7ad35629bd.jpeg

Was the price the pass reason? I think that's about the going rate for these. I admit to not having tried one yet. I posted a while back about passing a 10 year PS/cask strength SB of this at $65 and the consensus on here was to go back and get it. I didnt.

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I'd buy one at that price - great stuff.  I can't get any up here (but I can't complain since ETL and RHF was around again for short money).  8-)

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Was the price the pass reason? I think that's about the going rate for these. I admit to not having tried one yet. I posted a while back about passing a 10 year PS/cask strength SB of this at $65 and the consensus on here was to go back and get it. I didnt.

I was on a hunting trip for a friend who has been looking for WSR for a while. I found 2 over priced bottles for him. $100 for those! ???? The kids’ summer camps stole my bourbon money. 

On a road trip to OH for a much needed combo steam show/Blue Angels weekend (and some Bourbon surfin' too).   Sitting in the Bowling Green LB while fat thumbing this - passing on the Jeff Ocean wheated on sale for $65 (last night for sale, reg $85!!).  Spent the $4 for a sample and just can't get excited about it - it's tasty, smooth, thickish in the mouth, but just don't taste the justification to blow $65 (much less $85!!).  Am I gonna regret this?  Don't think I will, but it's the first time I've had MGP wheated.  Got another 1.5 hr to ponder though.....

11 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

On a road trip to OH for a much needed combo steam show/Blue Angels weekend (and some Bourbon surfin' too).   Sitting in the Bowling Green LB while fat thumbing this - passing on the Jeff Ocean wheated on sale for $65 (last night for sale, reg $85!!).  Spent the $4 for a sample and just can't get excited about it - it's tasty, smooth, thickish in the mouth, but just don't taste the justification to blow $65 (much less $85!!).  Am I gonna regret this?  Don't think I will, but it's the first time I've had MGP wheated.  Got another 1.5 hr to ponder though.....

I'll say this I have had it SBS with Redemption Wheated a few times now, I like the Ocean better but probably not $25 better. 

Fireball at the O'hare duty free shop ????.

(Yes, I know it's not bourbon, but it amused me)

• I like it 4

On 6/19/2018 at 6:09 AM, CUfan99 said:

I was on a hunting trip for a friend who has been looking for WSR for a while. I found 2 over priced bottles for him. $100 for those! ???? The kids’ summer camps stole my bourbon money. 

I here that CU. Kids evaporate money. 

People haven’t quite caught on about the BM/SAOS parallel. Maybe it will be there next time you are in. 

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I here that CU. Kids evaporate money. 

People haven’t quite caught on about the BM/SAOS parallel. Maybe it will be there next time you are in. 

I also think that the BM offerings confuse people.  They have so many different finished bourbons that it almost makes you look past the whole section (if you are not into finished bourbon).  I did that for a long time until I realized they had done the store pick.  That's the only thing that made me look twice...

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

People haven’t quite caught on about the BM/SAOS parallel. 

Exactly.

I have a "friend" that is trying like crazy to get SAOS SB , while 3 different barrels of BMSB 10 yr are sitting on the shelves...  He won't even listen to me....

Edited by 0895

8 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Exactly.

I have a "friend" that is trying like crazy to get SAOS SB , while 3 different barrels of BMSB 10 yr are sitting on the shelves...  He won't even listen to me....

His loss, your gain. 

20 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Exactly.

Right now I can buy Backbone Uncut for $39 so that is filling my MGP BP needs, and honestly at 7 years it's really more in my wheelhouse than SAOS SB's were. 

Well I guess I could start a new summer thread? Naw

Zen must be really manifesting in my purchase habits this year. I'm feeling more and more stupid (don't need a whiskey habit for that) looking at my $100 bottles on the shelf while my 101 and BT never tasted more satisfying. Last "major purchase" was a case of HM10 for $25per.

Now, the passes today were Blood Oath4, Fitz 11, ECBP, RY10. I might have broke down on the RY but I've two stashed and the offering price was way too tall. The rest were about 10%+ retail. Good news is I didn't miss anything. :) 

• I like it 1

Passed on the limited "Sleepy Hollow" edition of Blanton's...

IMG_9742.thumb.PNG.0e9532fb33655249c7778e41a2724c29.PNGIMG_9743.thumb.PNG.5d2aa1979ae6b87aba3e471f02d19b01.PNG

• I like it 7

37 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

IMG_9742.thumb.PNG.0e9532fb33655249c7778e41a2724c29.PNGIMG_9743.thumb.PNG.5d2aa1979ae6b87aba3e471f02d19b01.PNG

LMAO

That’s Great. I might have to start my new 8

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

LMFAO! :lol: That's too funny. Even though headless, $54.99 is a pretty decent price. 

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

That's just funny, right there!!!????

21 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Right now I can buy Backbone Uncut for $39 so that is filling my MGP BP needs, and honestly at 7 years it's really more in my wheelhouse than SAOS SB's were. 

I have always wondered about Backbone Uncut.  It is normally around $45 here but one of the local chains has been running 20% off Sunday specials on Indiana-made spirits.  I guess I didn't realize Backbone is 7 years old.  I also didn't realize the proof varied by batch.  I have tried the Bonesnapper Rye, which is 2 years old and it isn't too bad.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Heehee!  Well played!  :D

No way I pass on a headless Blanton’s at $55, it’s like an omen.

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have always wondered about Backbone Uncut.  It is normally around $45 here but one of the local chains has been running 20% off Sunday specials on Indiana-made spirits.  I guess I didn't realize Backbone is 7 years old.  I also didn't realize the proof varied by batch.  I have tried the Bonesnapper Rye, which is 2 years old and it isn't too bad.

They vary I have had some 7 yrs and some 8's dates are on the back of the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.