What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rhetoric 24 for $119.  Might have been a fair price, but I'm not feeling like chasing all these high dollar bottles anymore.  I'll probably still have interest in BTAC and Pappy when the season rolls around, but it seems like the $100+ bottles are becoming common.

Give me store picks of the solid drinkers and I'll be happy.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mikeydk said:

Since I'm unlikely to ever encounter this bottle in the wild, and if I did, it would cost at least twice that price in my area (or more), I would've paid that.  :)  

Went back for it. They had the 3 bottle case...so 2 left.

My local offered me a Blood Oath Pact 4 for $119, and I passed. Never had any previous offerings, and although I’ve read some pretty decent reviews, I have difficulty believing it can justify that price. I’m skeptical of any NDP product that is so heavily focused on artsy packaging and marketing. If the bourbon were that good, would the aesthetics be necessary?

Edit: mistyped price 

Edited by BigSkyDrams

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I agree with Steve.  That stuff was awful.  It was my candidate for one of the worst you've tried threads.  My hypothesis is all the dogs and cats barrels that weren't good enough for WFE or the other KBD brands got vatted together.  It tasted to me like Evan Williams that went terribly wrong.

Also agree some people have really drank the Koolade as far as Willett is concerned.

It's like you read my mind. 

I do like taking the tour though and seeing the cats.  :)

I think their house made ryes are actually pretty good.  The house made bourbon just tastes like hatred and wasted money to me.

Edited by 0895

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

My local offered me a Blood Oath Pact 4 for $119, and I passed. Never had any previous offerings, and although I’ve read some pretty decent reviews, I have difficulty believing it can justify that price. I’m skeptical of any NDP product that is so heavily focused on artsy packaging and marketing. If the bourbon were that good, would the aesthetics be necessary?

I think it's a pretty good pour.  However, I paid $85 for mine, and it's definitely overpriced.  I think I paid $30 for that wooden box...

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I think it's a pretty good pour.  However, I paid $85 for mine, and it's definitely overpriced.  I think I paid $30 for that wooden box...

Thanks, that confirms what I’ve heard generally. I’d probably grab it at that price, just for kicks, but $120 is a hard pass for me. 

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

The house made bourbon just tastes like hatred and wasted money to me.

This describes just about every craft bourbon I've tried ... :(

• I like it 1

On 7/5/2018 at 1:01 PM, FasterHorses said:

Ahhhhhhhh lucky dog!!! :)   I really hope i happen upon one of these somewhere, but it's unlikely at that price.  Hope you enjoy!!  

On 7/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, FasterHorses said:

Good for you. I am definitely interested in this one, but don’t really expect to see one cross my path. I’d likely pick it up if I saw it at that price. 

• I like it 1

On 7/5/2018 at 5:16 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I’ve only tried the pact 3 as a restaurant pour. I thought it was ok. Something I likely would have bought at around $50, but was an easy pass for me at $100 (which is what I thought was retail in VA). 

I passed up on these at a restaurant in favor of pours of HM10, 4RSiB, and EHT Rye. I'm confident I made the right decision. At the same time I'm kind of impressed they have all these. And the heavy pours I had were very reasonably priced. 

20180708_182839.jpg

Can't believe the price, but I'm overstocked at home, including a bottle of DC that's sat unopened for months now.   I guess I need to throw a big party or something... 

20180710_140938_crop_489x713.jpg

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I guess I need to throw a big party or something... 

X   yes

no

maybe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

Can't believe the price, but I'm overstocked at home, including a bottle of DC that's sat unopened for months now.   I guess I need to throw a big party or something... 

I think a couple of those would come home with me.

20180710_140938_crop_489x713.jpg.9a4a9f073a62cba2e354b285f846944f.jpg

Good price for good whiskey, I would of snagged one.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:04 PM, JvW said:

From a few weeks ago...

IMG_5262.thumb.JPG.14b9daf5839fea5edd9bfffdb00e6800.JPG

...downtown Manhattan!!!

Hmm off by a decimal point should inform management 

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I think a couple of those would come home with me.

38 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Good price for good whiskey, I would of snagged one.

I opened the DC I had in the cabinet tonight.  I liked a lot of things about it, but the youthful funk got the better of me.  I've got KC picks coming out my ears (12, 13, 14 yr bottles), and don't see myself reaching for the DC much.  It's ok, I found a forever home for it.  Postal Grunt agreed to take good care...  Promised let it out of the cabinet frequently, give it some fresh air to breathe, keep it out of the sun, etc.

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 1

On 7/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, 0895 said:

I keep passing on it at $80+tax.  It is a cool box though.  I also passed on HW YKY and SA Big Level. I have an early YKY batch 8 I think that I don't care for.  I do like Big Level.  I think I'm in the minority on that one.  I have one open with about 3/4 left so I'm in no hurry for another.

BO4.jpg

I keep passing on it at $80+tax.  It is a cool box though.  I also passed on HW YKY and SA Big Level. I have an early YKY batch 8 I think that I don't care for.  I do like Big Level.  I think I'm in the minority on that one.  I have one open with about 3/4 left so I'm in no hurry for another.
BO4.thumb.jpg.1183ca01b68d6552592d046c2779c9aa.jpg

I’ve got a bottle that I bought at the Lux Row gift shop. I’ve now had a few pours since I got it home, and think it’s pretty darn good bourbon. I’d bring home another bottle in a heartbeat at that price!

19 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

While YMMV always applies, at that price I would'a made room for a couple more bottles.

• I like it 1

Got an email at 12:30 that a store just across the state line received their PS BT and WA107. Prices were high for me so I decided to pass, $38 for the BT and $52 for the Weller. Received another email at 5:30 saying the entire lot of Weller was sold out already. Crazy.

Got an email at 12:30 that a store just across the state line received their PS BT and WA107. Prices were high for me so I decided to pass, $38 for the BT and $52 for the Weller. Received another email at 5:30 saying the entire lot of Weller was sold out already. Crazy.

Had a local LS say that their OWA PS was going to go on sale at 10am when they opened and when I got there at 11 it was all gone. Crazy how fast it can get snatched up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.