What Dram are you enjoying? Spring 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Haven’t tried any of the Paul John. What are your thoughts on both?

I had earlier bottlings of both of these (these are 2016 batches) and these are improved, the Brilliance is grain forward but doesn't come off as young really, there is a nutty note I don' t know if I have ever tasted in a whiskey before (IE: not Beam/HH peanut), at first it caught me off guard but ultimately I liked it and found it a good change of pace. The CS Peated, I admittedly didn't look into too deeply but I'm assuming it uses Scottish peated barley as it is very familiar, it is more approachable than Amrut CS peated and if you poured it blind for me I would probably have guessed it to be a high 90's proofed Islay of some sort in it's early teens, I quite liked it but it doesn't come off as something new if that makes sense, I would buy both again at the prices I paid on sale ($39 and $60) but not sure how much higher I would go, would be interested in trying a non bourbon aged version of their non-peated.

Stout and earthy distillate matured 25 years and still hanging with 59% ABV-- I made the right call with this one.

IMG_9164.thumb.jpg.148fe148715e4d9c87c5641fdcdfcdff.jpg

• I like it 1

Off to the grain-- this guy is so candied and liqueur-like, I'm tempted to make a killer Rusty Nail blend later tonight in combo with a Campbeltown Single Malt.

IMG_9165.thumb.jpg.920e4944fd271df2d2c46c7e8e973703.jpg

• I like it 1

Killer mouthfeel and viscosity-- no age statement but extremely well done…

IMG_9166.thumb.jpg.491aeae68a15e253eda45ef9734508cd.jpg

The Ledaig just died tonight-- and I was looking forward to some peat. There's always tomorrow.

IMG_9169.thumb.jpg.7038cec79dfac379049bebf0cd5295c2.jpg

Back to reality with some east coast Highland action. Still seems a bit doctored, but forgiven for now…

IMG_9170.thumb.jpg.5b8c0f845483360c3f1f8f4ad3fb91c6.jpg

58 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The other blue label-- very nice tonight.

IMG_9168.thumb.jpg.c79f8d0d66b05ce2598e19e1a7858fcb.jpg

Joining you in spirit on this one, all puns intended

y4mdlVhHG1Qhk8pdMgwFHE2Rog7fp_nSuktS8Tmj

• I like it 1

The whisky world would be better if there were more $30 12 year 46% abv drams on the market

y4mVsJIxxY9_NsFm8ZSsr9QLgaqA8qD-zIK8JR7X

Edited by kevinbrink

This guy still delivered a hint of smoke… really a super dram.

IMG_9179.thumb.jpg.446ccd9c3dc2cd95be2ccff0b1fd545a.jpg

• I like it 3

And speaking of smoke, after Friday night's lackluster Ledaig peat performance, the issue was corrected.

IMG_9183.thumb.jpg.12b65a77febf37df0d84960fa59d50db.jpg

IMG_9182.thumb.jpg.b86e87d076a960daed917197d6537030.jpg

• I like it 1

And speaking of smoke, after Friday night's lackluster Ledaig peat performance, the issue was corrected.

IMG_9183.thumb.jpg.12b65a77febf37df0d84960fa59d50db.jpg

IMG_9182.thumb.jpg.b86e87d076a960daed917197d6537030.jpg

I’d say that you definitely corrected the problem. I’ve been hesitant to buy an Octomore given the high levels of peat smoke. I like peated scotch quite a bit, but hate to spend the money on an Octomore and find out I don’t like peat that intense. I’m hopeful that I may be able to get one on clearance from a store that’s had them on the shelf for too long, and wants to free up some space for something else.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I’d say that you definitely corrected the problem. I’ve been hesitant to buy an Octomore given the high levels of peat smoke. I like peated scotch quite a bit, but hate to spend the money on an Octomore and find out I don’t like peat that intense. I’m hopeful that I may be able to get one on clearance from a store that’s had them on the shelf for too long, and wants to free up some space for something else.

I tried my first Octomore (07.4 Virgin Oak) as a pour at the Flatiron Room and went looking for a bottle immediately after. The integrity of the spirit holds its own against the peat quite well.

• I like it 1

Down to the last couple of drams of this one... Really would like to see Kilchoman come out with a 10 or 12 year age stated bottling.IMG_20180513_213854.thumb.jpg.85b3b18851beda4a55f94601573d0a7d.jpg

Edited by dad-proof
Missing word

A splash of Macallan 12 Sherry Oak followed by a splash of the old Macallan Cask Strength. A delightful Sherry night.

• I like it 1

A nice pour of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or to start the evening. I really like this...even more when I find it for less than $60.

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, dad-proof said:

Down to the last couple of drams of this one... Really would like to see Kilchoman come out with a 10 or 12 year age stated bottling.

Given the very low volume of production and the amount of whisky they've sold since the distillery's 3 year mark, I highly doubt they have much left in the warehouse from those early years to be able to bottle much over 6yo. And if they do, prices won't be attractive to the average person.

Also, from what I've read, they specifically "designed" the spirit to be sold at a young age. Not sure if a 12+ year old Kilchoman will be as good as one half that age.

48 minutes ago, portwood said:

Also, from what I've read, they specifically "designed" the spirit to be sold at a young age.

Great information, thanks for sharing. And it makes sense. The 2006 bottled at about 5 years was nice but definitely spirit forward. I should hunt down the most recent Loch Gorm and 100% Islay versions as they both seem to have 7+ year whiskey. 

Well, glad I got a discount on this one, it's not bad by any stretch but not worth the $129 Astor is asking, though I suppose that is where we have landed with Glendronach "Single" Casks. On the positive side while it is clearly a PX aged Scotch it still has some balance and isn't so sherry dominant that the spirit is lost. Water is really your friend with this bottle. 

y4m3bQDiHYyy1RCiBZ2-mSe7bsjXzHfUJnXNqxq-

6 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Great information, thanks for sharing. And it makes sense. The 2006 bottled at about 5 years was nice but definitely spirit forward. I should hunt down the most recent Loch Gorm and 100% Islay versions as they both seem to have 7+ year whiskey. 

High-integrity spirit in quality casks goes a long way. I've got the newer 8 year Loch Gorm bottling and it's overly rounded and "missing something" compared to this 5 year Single Bourbon Cask (one of my favorite drams of all time). I still hunt for the early Machir Bay releases in the bottles without the "coin" on the shoulder.

IMG_9204.thumb.jpg.9484da9e86e78e5ae1c5f789c294add4.jpg

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I still hunt for the early Machir Bay releases in the bottles without the "coin" on the shoulder.

Pro-tip, thank you! I'll keep an eye out. I am sure all the old single casks are gone - sounds amazing. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.