What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, NDN98 said:

$200 1792FP?  That is about 5 times what I usually see it priced.

Yeah, Hog Wild is looney toon nuts - and it wasn't a ps either, just reg ol' FP.  And it's not like FP and Sib are exceptionally rare around here, they come and go, but it's not a long difficult search to find 'em at a reasonable $ somewhere in the vicinity.  After laughing at the $100 SW a month or two ago, I drove around the literal corner and bought one for @ $40 or so IIRC.

Of note, Calumet 10 and 12 year old.  Also passed on more Parker's, ECBP and Ky Owl (rye #2 and bourbon). 

I guess it's Zen when you know you've got more at home than you'll probably drink in your lifetime...;)

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Of note, Calumet 10 and 12 year old.  Also passed on more Parker's, ECBP and Ky Owl (rye #2 and bourbon). 

I guess it's Zen when you know you've got more at home than you'll probably drink in your lifetime...;)

Seems like everyone passes on calumet. But all the LS employess talk it up. 

You gotta be kidding me!  I passed on everything today. I go into my favorite store where I spent enough to think I might get a good bottle this season and the freaking owner sold the #$@%ing store. Funny how the cards fall in this game of bourbon hunting. I’m afraid this means no special bottles for me this year. I’ve got a couple of long shot chances but this is a big disappointment. 

• I like it 1

Seems like everyone passes on calumet. But all the LS employess talk it up. 

The Calumet is actually pretty decent if the price is reasonable.

10 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

The Calumet is actually pretty decent if the price is reasonable.

Does it come from HH? Read where theyre out of bowling green.

Does it come from HH? Read where theyre out of bowling green.

I think the speculation is that it does come from HH. I’ve only had one bottle that was a PS Single Barrel. I can’t remember if it was 10yo or 12yo, but it was pretty decent bourbon. It was given to me as a gift, so I can’t remember if the price is reasonable for what it is or not.

WTH is going on with 1792FP?  $70 at another LS that isn't typically a gouger.  Not a store select either.  I was passing on FP at $50+ earlier this year, and will continue to do so....

The Christmas gift boxes are arriving in KC, MO now.  Woodford Reserve checked in around $36 with a gift glass and KC has an Old Fashioned gift kit with a 750ml bottle, bitters, and glasses for a bit more than $30. The one that almost got  to pull out the Visa card, almost, was a Maker's Mark 750 with two glasses for less than $22. The stand alone bottle in the next aisle checked in at about $24. Don't ask me how they priced that but given the price of good glasses, my thrifty Yankee cheapskate upbringing in MA just might get me back in that store even though MM isn't in my usual rotation. The OPG and my sainted mother just might approve.

• I like it 3

Passed on alot of bottles today.  All at retail - Blantons, ECBP, WA 107, Michters 10, Eagle Rare, Stagg Jr.

Only bought a liter of W12 and it was the old-style bottle too.

Its out there guys - go get it.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Passed on alot of bottles today.  All at retail - Blantons, ECBP, WA 107, Michters 10, Eagle Rare, Stagg Jr.

Only bought a liter of W12 and it was the old-style bottle too.

Its out there guys - go get it.

Hide contents

Have passed on Blanton's, ECBP and Eagle Rare at retail but haven't nor would I on the others. Enjoy the W12!

On a business trip to New Orleans last week I saw a bottle of Weller 12 on the shelf for the first time. Unfortunately it was $150 so I’ll have to wait to have one at home. Also saw a bottle of Blanton’s for $170. That’s just insane. 

I did see Stagg Jr for $60 at a third store and that was tougher to pass on. 

Passed on some 375ml bottles of WRDO at $20 each. The 750ml bottles usually sell for at least 2.5 times that price, so I was tempted even though I have several PS single barrel selections already at home.

GTS and WLW each at 725.99.  I was literally laughing inside the store.

What an oddly specific price

55 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Saw ER10 for $49 and Blanton's for over $100. Haha

Ive noticed several stores in Texas have started pricing ER in the $40-50 range.  I like it well enough, but that is a crazy price.

Stopped at a random small shop today noticed they had roughly 50 bottles of hard to find so I knew it was for a reason.. Decided to start with the lowest MSRP juice Weller 12, a wopping $150.00 for a 750 lol.  Told him its a 30$ bottle at best so didnt waste time asking about 4R130th or KK.... 

Passed on a RR SiB at the distillery gift shop. Picked up a 101 Rye and KS and Jimmy signed both but the RR was $72 and my local LS has done several phenomenal RR PS barrels and I have multiples of each on the shelf so the $72 backed me down...

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Merica! But..its aged a minimum of 6 months!

20181021_182038-784x1613.jpg

Wait, that crap is almost $30?

The list of stuff I could (would) buy instead for about $30 wouldn’t fit in this post...

Edit, so I went and checked out there website.  This is another garbage can product that appears to use the terrepure method.  I wish they (terrepure) would just give up on this crap.  Does anyone actually enjoy any of their products?  I know only a few people who have gotten suckered into buying something that was "terrepured".  They never go back for more...

Edited by 0895

On 10/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, Paddy said:

I have always been interested to try the owl bourbon. How much does hype cost these days?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.