What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've spent a couple of evenings acquainting myself with the BF 1910.  The house profile is certainly there, but what's left me  quite impressed is the balance, mouth feel and finish of this product.  Particularly, given the substantial drop off in proof from the 1920 release (which I found similar, but no less lengthy on the finish, while also displaying a bit less richness and thickness).

I have to say, well done! 

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I've spent a couple of evenings acquainting myself with the BF 1910.  The house profile is certainly there, but what's left me  quite impressed is the balance, mouth feel and finish of this product.  Particularly, given the substantial drop off in proof from the 1920 release (which I found similar, but no less lengthy on the finish, while also displaying a bit less richness and thickness).

Had some for the first time last week. Went to my local cigar shop where the usual crowd hangs out. Most of us bring along a bottle to share, and a friend brought this one in. Wasn't expecting much but WOW. It won me over quick, and upon returning home I had a pinch of 1920 just to compare. They're pretty different with the 1910 the best "easy drinker" without giving up taste. I didn't get as much of that BF twang with it either.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Had some for the first time last week. Went to my local cigar shop where the usual crowd hangs out. Most of us bring along a bottle to share, and a friend brought this one in. Wasn't expecting much but WOW. It won me over quick, and upon returning home I had a pinch of 1920 just to compare. They're pretty different with the 1910 the best "easy drinker" without giving up taste. I didn't get as much of that BF twang with it either.

I admit, I didn't have a 1920 to do a SBS with.  From recollection, what I recalled about the 1920 is that, while good, it didn't wow me enough to find it to be a value/repeat purchase.  Don't get me wrong, it was good, and I drank it pretty quickly.  But I felt no need to pursue it otherwise.   

This one, IMO, certainly IS worth another purchase! 

Enjoying the last of some JB Double Oaked in an Old Fashioned while preparing to watch the Wings . . . no, 'play hockey' isn't an accurate description (although an aspirational one perhaps?)

J Henry and Sons cask strength reserve, real interesting and flavorful but I think it needs more time in barrel.

My wife and I had a little tasting at home tonight. It was Knob Creek small batch, Rare Breed and Bakers.

• I like it 2

Nothing last night but on Monday I had a pour of one of my 2 bottles of Willett 117 proof 5 y.o. wheated bourbon.  Picked these up at the Willett dinner at 21C recently.

12 hours ago, foppa78 said:

My wife and I had a little tasting at home tonight. It was Knob Creek small batch, Rare Breed and Bakers.

Interested to hear the consensus opinions!

• I like it 1

Tonight it is a LS Select Weller Antique 107 that has been in a decanter for a few months now.  No passing out candy for us this Halloween.  We are keeping it all to ourselves!

Old Fashioned for the Trick or Treat walk through the neighborhood with my daughter. 

Then 9 year OBSK for me while I handle candy duty. 

A43727EC-39E1-43A6-9F3F-7191D6858A8D.jpeg

4D2B633D-F474-49F8-9C0E-6BFBF4534480.jpeg

• I like it 2

Out of those three I choose rare breed, bakers then small batch. Have you tried knob Creek single barrel? It's super tasty.
  • I like it 1

Speaking of door duty  on a CULT night - we usually get close to 100 Trick or Treaters every Halloween.  Neighborhood starts with a pizza party then the kids are parceled out.  SO -

After I scarfed down my two pieces of cheese pizza, I handed out stuff with serial sippings of 4R Pvt Selections:

One oz. OBSK 52.6% 10 yr 29 days with one cube

followed after pizza with

One oz. OESV 59.2% 10 yr 2 mos. 29 days with one cube

followed, after turning out the lights, locking the door, and getting ready to move upstairs for the nonce, by

TWO oz. OBSO 55.7% 11 yr 6 mos.  HeckuvaTreat.  Can't remember if I put a cube in it.

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, foppa78 said:

Rare Breed and Baker’s. Mmmmm. 

Those wouls go well together on a tasting....

(heads to cabinet to tinker with my introducing people to bourbon line up). 

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Speaking of door duty  on a CULT night - we usually get close to 100 Trick or Treaters every Halloween.  Neighborhood starts with a pizza party then the kids are parceled out.  SO -

After I scarfed down my two pieces of cheese pizza, I handed out stuff with serial sippings of 4R Pvt Selections:

followed, after turning out the lights, locking the door, and getting ready to move upstairs for the nonce, by

TWO oz. OBSO 55.7% 11 yr 6 mos.  HeckuvaTreat.  Can't remember if I put a cube in it.

I ‘dad taxed’ all of the Heath bars from my daughera haul. Pairing well with the OBSK. 

• I like it 7

Looks like a Four Roses night, I figured this one was appropriate. Barreled 10/31

15410319889812112198266.jpg

Edited by Soberiquet
  • I like it 5

I took my 3 year old son on his first trick or treat.  (I'm an older guy with a 3 year old, ha-ha).  He looked so cute as a fireman.  He got stage fright at first, then a sheriff stopped and handed him some candy out the window.  A neighbor close by was playing sound effects, and he wanted to see what it was.  Another neighbor there asked if we wanted to see the new puppy.  After that, he was really into it.  We went to many houses.  About two blocks from where we live, we got caught in a big rain storm.  I had an umbrella.  When we got home, my wife said she was about to take the car and go look for us.  Now he's snoring like a lumberjack.  I'm having a nice pour of 4R 80 proof.  Maybe later switch to MM, or Oktoberfest beer.  Mission accomplished

• I like it 7

I ‘dad taxed’ all of the Heath bars from my daughera haul. Pairing well with the OBSK. 
Haha same, ive taxed some of reeses and oh Henry's. Goes great with some rare breed.
  • I like it 1

43 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I took my 3 year old son on his first trick or treat.  (I'm an older guy with a 3 year old, ha-ha).  He looked so cute as a fireman.  He got stage fright at first, then a sheriff stopped and handed him some candy out the window.  A neighbor close by was playing sound effects, and he wanted to see what it was.  Another neighbor there asked if we wanted to see the new puppy.  After that, he was really into it.  We went to many houses.  About two blocks from where we live, we got caught in a big rain storm.  I had an umbrella.  When we got home, my wife said she was about to take the car and go look for us.  Now he's snoring like a lumberjack.  I'm having a nice pour of 4R 80 proof.  Maybe later switch to MM, or Oktoberfest beer.  Mission accomplished

Awesome!  Special times.  

Great Halloween here.  About 300 kiddies and their parents trekked through, tonight. Relaxing outside now, with an ETL and cigar, before I flaceplant on my pillow...  :D

• I like it 2

On 10/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, Paddy said:

This is all the endorsement I need. Thank you sir.

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

I want to be Harry when I grow up.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Interested to hear the consensus opinions!

I really liked all 3 but Bakers was my favorite followed by Rare Breed and then Knob Creek. I think my wife felt the same as my order but when she tried pairing the 3 bourbons with chocolate she said the Knob Creek stood out. I find it hard to do tastings because it seems that 1 bourbon on your palate can significantly change the flavor of another bourbon. Maybe it's just my inexperience.

5 hours ago, reeko said:
23 hours ago, foppa78 said:

Out of those three I choose rare breed, bakers then small batch. Have you tried knob Creek single barrel? It's super tasty.

Yes I have. I also really like the single barrel although I admit it has been collecting some dust lately as I branch out and try other stuff. I need to have a pour of that single barrel again soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.