What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Poured a glass of CEHT Four Grain (Batch 2) to enjoy after grilling some burgers and watching some college football.

This just showed up here in the Garden State, I'm trying to think of a better one, but as I'm sipping this it sure seems like the best "craft" bourbon I have yet to have, certainly the best in terms of quality to price. 

y4mdvigqKlgJjslrrgRWHN9pPJphkRvuzUuLWSQX

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

This just showed up here in the Garden State, I'm trying to think of a better one, but as I'm sipping this it sure seems like the best "craft" bourbon I have yet to have, certainly the best in terms of quality to price. 

y4mdvigqKlgJjslrrgRWHN9pPJphkRvuzUuLWSQX

A local is getting a barrel in december. About$45 i think. What would u compare it to?

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

A local is getting a barrel in december. About$45 i think. What would u compare it to?

It was $45 here as well, the BIB was $35 but it was already sold out at the store I went to. In terms of comparisons it definitely feels higher rye which I think it is? I would say maybe like what a younger OBSQ Four Roses might taste like. I was a little reluctant to pick this up after the last few 4 year old Craft bourbons I picked up but this one is good and it will be really interesting to see what this one is like in a couple years it could be quite stunning. 

High accolades. I think I read where Minnick had said way back that they would be one to compete with the big boys some day. Unfortunately im not big on 4R. Maybe theyll let me sample it when they get it in.

For some silly reason, I thought I'd give my WT Longbranch another try. It's still underwhelming, kind of like drinking light beer. Moved on to RR10yr and life is good again.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Is it Japan only?

No you can buy it at The Evan Williams Experience in Louisville. It’s like $130 I think?

ECBP then finished off EWBIB. Almost went back to EC but decided to have a pour of EHTBP 18. Now just need to win powerball.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoying the last big pour from a CEHT BIB.  Just a solid, no nonsense kinda bourbon.

I think I’ll join you after an evening of high rye pours. Cheers. 

• I like it 1

The wife and I decided to go out for a nice dinner since I'll be gone for 3 weeks (to the Twin Cities) starting Monday.

I had my first taste of this year's Parker's Heritage. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but this is an enjoyable and unique pour. 

20181020_193705.jpg

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

The wife and I decided to go out for a nice dinner since I'll be gone for 3 weeks (to the Twin Cities) starting Monday.

I had my first taste of this year's Parker's Heritage. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but this is an enjoyable and unique pour. 

20181020_193705.jpg

I really liked it. I think I'd probably pony up for one if I found it at retail..which I think is $80-$90.

Man that BP EHT is a “Hefty” pour!

It was hefty. But was a four grains pour. Which was fantastic!!!!

51 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

20181020_193705.jpg

3 weeks in the Twin Cities? I don’t know if you’ve researched whiskey options but I’ll throw out some unsolicited ideas. If you’re downtown Minneapolis try The Butcher and the Boar. They tend to have good whiskey and do a decent amount of barrel picks. Downtown you can also try Brit’s Pub, which has some LE stuff fairly often and when they do prices are generally reasonable. Another spot just south of downtown is Eat Street Social. If you happen to be in St. Paul, the St. Paul Grill at the St. Paul Hotel is the best whiskey selection over there. Have fun and let me know if you want store recommendations as well

6 hours ago, Statesboro Blues said:

The wife will be serving them to me blindly. Will report back. 

E61C6ECF-7EE5-4B61-8434-C864685B165D.jpeg

I'd be surprised if you need to do those 3 blind

On 10/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

..............and with cookies since I got it home about 2PM today.

Wut?????!?

I must know what this pairing is.

I had a very tasty pour of Rare Breed. I found this bottle on sale for $41 which seems to be a good deal since all the stores around here have marked it up to $47-$49.

12 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Who’s the lucky one, let’s switch now then. Cheers! 

Will.

☺️ 

Had a wee dram of 2016 WLW (140.2pf) last night in high anticipation of a Boston/Brooklyn World Series (kinda').  Ok, ok - I'm really, really old and your memory is the second thing that fails as one ages . . . . . 

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Enjoying batch # 2 of Southern Tier Distillery's straight rye.   This is where craft distilleries shine - there are some totally satisfying craft ryes around.   This one, I'd surmise, has a high percentage of malted rye,  with the cereal notes blending with the pumpernickel.  For a straight rye oriented more toward the latter, try Tom's Foolery's straight rye.   As a flight, these two help justify why I keep voting with my dollars for craft rather than the bourbon behemoths.    Yes,  I've made mistakes,  but that just makes the winners all the more satisfying.   

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

☺️ 

Had a wee dram of 2016 WLW (140.2pf) last night in high anticipation of a Boston/Brooklyn World Series (kinda').  Ok, ok - I'm really, really old and your memory is the second thing that fails as one ages . . . . . 

It's gonna be a World Series to remember - first time these teams have faced each other since 1916!    Bourbon and baseball - perfect together!

5 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Enjoying batch # 2 of Southern Tier Distillery's straight rye.   This is where craft distilleries shine - there are some totally satisfying craft ryes around.   This one, I'd surmise, has a high percentage of malted rye,  with the cereal notes blending with the pumpernickel.  For a straight rye oriented more toward the latter, try Tom's Foolery's straight rye.   As a flight, these two help justify why I keep voting with my dollars for craft rather than the bourbon behemoths.    Yes,  I've made mistakes,  but that just makes the winners all the more satisfying.   

Hint hint, post in the rye forum. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.