What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

They don’t sell it in my state.  Picked up two bottles on my last pilgrimage to the mother land.  Headed back with a few guys next weekend for another three day trip.  (We have a private BT hard hat tour I’m pretty excited about.) I’m going to grab another couple while I’m there.  

Side note- Are these sold in just a few states still?  

Cool.  I think its distribution is still pretty limited.  I only get it in the Motherland, myself. 

• I like it 1

Finishing up the weekend with a late afternoon fire in the patio fireplace and a 4R Al Young 50th.  I really like the nose on this one, but still trying to get my footing with it from there.  But, the total package at this time is pretty good.

0E976DD9-D232-4C69-B309-4DE49A3651AA.jpeg

• I like it 7

Stagg Jr. Batch 9 after a killer workout and a long walk with the pup.  Damn, the cherry note is coming on in spades as the fill level goes down...great stuff.  Hope the late NFL game is a good one, I've got one pour left in the bottle and I kinda want to finish the bottle to make way for and ECBP - so I need to stay awake!

Fired up the smoker today and having some BT. This was my gateway bourbon but as I branched out I tended to neglect it. It's just so good, though, I mean truly great bourbon for 20ish bucks, these are good times for us bourbon drinkers.

• I like it 2

At this point I feel like I'm jumping onto the bandwagon.  It's regular WT 101 for me.  They're putting out some really nice bourbon.

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, PaulO said:

At this point I feel like I'm jumping onto the bandwagon.  It's regular WT 101 for me.  They're putting out some really nice bourbon.

Right on.  With all the talk of Rickhouse This, and Private Select That, the simple fact is that the standard 101 is really killing it right now.  

• I like it 3

Daddy Stagg, last year release. My little one is sick so I've convinced myself that the high abv is protecting me somehow (and the whining bothers me less).

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, El Vino said:

Stagg Jr. Batch 9 after a killer workout and a long walk with the pup.  Damn, the cherry note is coming on in spades as the fill level goes down...great stuff.  Hope the late NFL game is a good one, I've got one pour left in the bottle and I kinda want to finish the bottle to make way for and ECBP - so I need to stay awake!

I thought the late Pats/Packers game was very good, especially the last 2 TDs.   A wee dram of Blanton's SFTB (133.4pf)  made the last few seconds of the game especially easy!   And the Red Sox brought their 2018 World Series trophy to the game, too.  A great night to be in Boston (again!)   ☺️

• I like it 2

RR SmB.  Haven't touched this in a while.  Wasn't too keen on the spiciness on the first few sips but this mellowed nicely as it sat throughout the evening.  

Beam Signature Craft 11 Year High Rye, glad they are closing these out around here sometimes a well aged 90 proof whiskey is sometimes just about perfect. 

It’s going to be dessert before dinner tonight, with the Beam Distiller’s Masterpiece.  Luscious is one word that comes to mind, and with enough bourbon influence and proof to keep it from being cloyingly sweet.  I like well done finished bourbons and ryes, and even though I find port finishes to work best on them, this PX Sherry finished Beam still remains my favorite.  

38F03114-2A97-48CD-9021-34BEAF9B12E3.jpeg

• I like it 2

It’s going to be dessert before dinner tonight, with the Beam Distiller’s Masterpiece.  Luscious is one word that comes to mind, and with enough bourbon influence and proof to keep it from being cloyingly sweet.  I like well done finished bourbons and ryes, and even though I find port finishes to work best on them, this PX Sherry finished Beam still remains my favorite.  
38F03114-2A97-48CD-9021-34BEAF9B12E3.thumb.jpeg.04c570a53d2f4ef7375ea9ef2bd41442.jpeg

Wow very interesting, first time I’ve seen someone comment on this. Is this from 2015 or did they do a more recent bottling? I saw this at Total Wine a few months back, but I find it hard to justify $200 for any whiskey. Hopefully I’ll try it at some point.

I have a bottle of Beam Distiller’s Masterpiece.  It’s an interesting pour.  The sweetness of the Sherry really comes out. It’s almost a little too much for me, which is crazy for me to say because I like a sweeter profile, but the age of the juice also really comes through in it.  If they would have toned down the Sherry notes just slightly I would have absolutely loved it.  I do enjoy it, but also wonder what could have been with this particular one. 

• I like it 1

Not much left in this bottle. Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof (Batch 3 2014).

g26orcq.jpg

• I like it 3

Somehow I think shooting a drunk pheasant is bad form even if it was drinking Witherspoon's.  Just saying.B)

After a half-day of brush/small tree clearing and hauling (with two guys my age so we equaled about a half a teenager), OGD BIB neat.  OF COURSE!

Oh yeah he was pretty tired after that mini!
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow very interesting, first time I’ve seen someone comment on this. Is this from 2015 or did they do a more recent bottling? I saw this at Total Wine a few months back, but I find it hard to justify $200 for any whiskey. Hopefully I’ll try it at some point.

You know, I think this is after 2015, but not sure.  Let me check the bottle and box to see if they say or offer any clues and I’ll  come back to you on that.  

After voting, I stopped by a restaurant to treat myself to a nice pour. I decided on Wild Turkey Master's Keep 17 year. I gotta be honest, it was good but at $40 for the pour, I would have rather had other things. I'm still happy to have tried it.

wWSqOY4.jpg

• I like it 1

I guess it’s Turkey Tuesday, I’m officially on the Turkey wagon. If I was only able to drink regular WT101 I’d be perfectly content. However have been able to grab some SB picks all around town. Love how these can be so different and the variety they bring. This one is a 4th floor darling from rickhouse F. A lot more spice and a much longer finish than the last one I had, this is one of the best bottles period I’ve had in a while. Going well as I’m prepping some steaks for the grill tomorrow.

IMG_5562.JPG

• I like it 1

You know, I think this is after 2015, but not sure.  Let me check the bottle and box to see if they say or offer any clues and I’ll  come back to you on that.  

Thanks just curious I know they did one around 2015 but than started seeing them last year. Not sure if it’s holdouts from 2015.

I opened up a bottle of HMcK BiB that had been sitting in the basement for a few months. Fresh out of the bottle, it's excellent. I'm looking forward to enjoying it over the next few months.

On 11/6/2018 at 4:20 AM, MTNBourbon said:

Not much left in this bottle. Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof (Batch 3 2014).

g26orcq.jpg

I love that one, i'll have some tonight. Enjoy and cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.