What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I lied earlier, I also cook some sausage and Boudin. image.thumb.jpg.10f6d5871c2c36b7d8f4a9266e1d1f03.jpg

You sir, are great at life.

Hermitage hotel, Nashville, first pour from the only bottle they received two days ago

06CBC870-129C-4B50-B17A-0F4500B104AE.thumb.jpeg.d978004ee73797e5a06a9e71acf73649.jpeg

What was the price for the pour...and how is it?
  • I like it 2

Just now, lcpfratn said:

What was the price for the pour...and how is it?

$100 for 2oz, not bad considering some other prices on the menu - like $65 for W12.  

This stuff is really excellent.  Pre-fire 94.? ABV.  Nose is all vanilla, caramel & oak.  Excellent.  Palates the same and no bitterness at all on the finish, which is kinda amazing given the age.  This is probably the only time I’ll ever see this bottle and 109% satisfied with the purchase.  If you like a “smooth” (I know) okey pour, don’t pass this one up if you see it in the wild 

• I like it 1

$100 for 2oz, not bad considering some other prices on the menu - like $65 for W12.  

This stuff is really excellent.  Pre-fire 94.? ABV.  Nose is all vanilla, caramel & oak.  Excellent.  Palates the same and no bitterness at all on the finish, which is kinda amazing given the age.  This is probably the only time I’ll ever see this bottle and 109% satisfied with the purchase.  If you like a “smooth” (I know) okey pour, don’t pass this one up if you see it in the wild 

That was my guess on the price per pour. It sounds great, but I doubt I’ll be able to get my hands on a bottle whether I’m willing to spend that much or not.

10 hours ago, mthegodfather said:

This is pretty good for $24. Shit it is good for any price.

...An opinion shared by many, many here, and elsewhere. 

Being a single barrel offering, it's likely every bottle won't be stellar; but, my own experience with a couple dozen bottles or so tells me that HH chooses the barrels to use for this brand pretty carefully.    I've had a couple that were only good (not fabulous; but good), and many that were very good, along with maybe 8 or 10 that were excellent (from 2-different barrels).     Full disclosure: I have tasted from a bottle that was substandard; not one I owned; but, my son's bottle. 

The key here is to note the barrel number, when tasting a new bottle.    If it's great; seek out a few more bottles from that same barrel.    If it ain't that swingin'; avoid those numbers.

• I like it 1

On 11/16/2018 at 8:29 AM, Masset1982 said:

Yes it is, did you try it yet ? 

Will.

Not the 2018, no.  But I know how highly you think of the 2015 so 2018 must be a good one.

As for me, I'll draw from the famous quote.  Whereas Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like, I've never met a Four Roses Limited Edition I didn't like.  Ha.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, mthegodfather said:

IMG_2152.jpg

This is pretty good for $24. Shit it is good for any price.

I agree...amazing they didn't raise the price especially considering the new

label added a cork topper.

It is strange how at times Bourbons that you have consistently liked don't have that same flavor for you.  tonight (afternoon) Beam's Distiller's Choice, which has been a favorite of mine for the past several months, just isn't getting the job done.  Weirdly enough, switched to Lagavulin 16 (my favorite Scotch) and it is fantastic tonight.  Strange indeed.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Turkey Time!

14E93B7E-6CC7-4C44-8B89-AEA909A962EE.jpeg

FCA4D250-0D96-4C31-98A8-13F673F8F2A0.jpeg

Enjoy!

last pour from this killer D!

If any of y’all are ever in Columbia, SC 1) let me know 2) make sure you grab a bite at Motor Supply!

Leading off tonight with Decades.   That's a tricky proposition though, because where does one go from there?  Who knows, I might stay here on Decades the rest of the night.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Leading off tonight with Decades.   That's a tricky proposition though, because where does one go from there?  Who knows, I might stay here on Decades the rest of the night.

Had 2 pours of Decades and I'm keeping it in the family for the last pour of the night.  Kentucky Spirit private pick.  It's very nice in it's own right.  Can't hang with the decades however.  Still, a good one to finish off the night with.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Had 2 pours of Decades and I'm keeping it in the family for the last pour of the night.  Kentucky Spirit private pick.  It's very nice in it's own right.  Can't hang with the decades however.  Still, a good one to finish off the night with.

Turkey for me too. (No surprise there!)

88662419-CE83-48E5-8892-B44C2A0DE2D2.jpeg

• I like it 3

A few easy-on-the-wallet bibs while watching the race, gotta pick a few more up on the way through the Holy Lands next week - can't believe I ignored these for so long when I lived up there....

JWD & JTSB.jpg

• I like it 3

None for me this weekend since I've had a nasty cold. Started in my sinuses and now deep in my chest. Uggh. Anyone have a good hot toddy or other cold remedy recipe?

2 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

A few easy-on-the-wallet bibs while watching the race, gotta pick a few more up on the way through the Holy Lands next week - can't believe I ignored these for so long when I lived up there....

JWD & JTSB.jpg

Love most BIB including JTS. JW Dant did nothing for me.

WT 101 - after all, Thanksgiving Week started at 12:01AM today.

• I like it 3

Nice relaxing evening for a change. Started off with a pour of HPR. Followed up later with a pour of Blanton’s. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WT 101 - after all, Thanksgiving Week started at 12:01AM today.

Sweet!  Rare Breed here, right with you.  Cheers to Thanksgiving Week!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.