What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Neither is bottled any longer, they haven't been for a couple years. Smooth Ambler always used the high rye MGP Bourbon for the 7 year and lower rye for the 10 year, single barrels have come from both. It appears they will be releasing some Tennessee (likely Dickel) sourced single barrels in the near future but those will clearly be a different mashbill as well. From time to time they also release whats left of their MGP whiskey as distillery only single barrels. 

Is Big Level or the Single Barrel worth picking up if I see it on-line?

8 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

The single barrels are generally speaking very good especially at the prices they used to sell for, it's barrel proof MGP bourbon so if you can get Belle Meade, Boone County or some other MGP sourced Cask Strength bourbon you will do just as well, I buy MGP stuff on price so recently I've been mostly picking up Backbone Uncut bottles in the 7-8 year range. I don't like the bottle of Big Level I have at all, it is their own distillate and tastes like very young Maker's Mark not at all similar to the Old Scout line.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

12 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The single barrels are generally speaking very good especially at the prices they used to sell for, it's barrel proof MGP bourbon so if you can get Belle Meade, Boone County or some other MGP sourced Cask Strength bourbon you will do just as well, I buy MGP stuff on price so recently I've been mostly picking up Backbone Uncut bottles in the 7-8 year range. I don't like the bottle of Big Level I have at all, it is their own distillate and tastes like very young Maker's Mark not at all similar to the Old Scout line.

Locally I do not get Belle Meade, or Boone County. Maybe I should only look for the stuff I have, if available somewhere on-line. Appreciate all the info.?

• I like it 1

Bad days call for good whiskey
y4mo3QuPbVS4QwnHjWgReQs_BZ7JKkYDtFtZGO3QRaw4SnP6GYczv3j5l8pyA1z1LCUP2N4J971iDiM_LL24PoY7aFXa4nJEBS81SmHFkYuZk6lN9Zjh1VpzhconDe6vjsjUeWhwNIcqz3W_T72-eN9sGVJ9DjIwGUMNdVAvTguYidRS7C-uBMj8oK2izEGUI6w?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

I volunteer a lot of time to a nonprofit I helped found, and to related community issues. I had 3 consecutive meetings after work today. I came home to find that my GF had looked up and consulted a friend of mine on how to make an old fashioned, and had it waiting for me. She picked the W12, but we live in a control state and it was $35. And I have another. I was really touched by the thoughtfulness. And it tasted pretty good.

IMG_0201.jpg
  • I like it 3

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bad days call for good whiskey

y4mo3QuPbVS4QwnHjWgReQs_BZ7JKkYDtFtZGO3Q

They must have moved your office into the broom closet in the basement and took your stapler. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Big No on Big Level.

• I like it 4

A little Tom Moore BiB before NO-DAL. Figure a bottle only sold in LA and TX was fitting. Also, I'm trying to finish it off. :)

Staying the course with yet another one from “The Trace”. This evening it’s ER:P

Bourbon boom and allocated items be damned. As long as I can still get BT, ER, and Weller SR at reasonable prices, suffice to say I’ll be a pretty happy camper. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Tonight’s pours

EC barrel proof - serious alcohol but amazing taste. Real depth to the taste

Jefferson’s Ocean - has after EC, was super smooth 

B86F68D5-E3D9-4451-9AFA-65C6BD9645DE.jpeg

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yr. This is pretty nice stuff. The gift shop prices are way too high, but I still bought a bottle because sometimes I am a sucker. Glad to have it, and it is enjoyable, but I probably wouldn't buy another at $130.

Enjoying this while watching The Last Days of Knight, which I recorded off ESPN earlier this evening. 

20181129_211245.jpg

• I like it 1

Doing a little deer hunting at my families cabin in West Tennessee, and picked these guys up to enjoy tonight.

FF11976A-64A0-419E-9125-2F6A5E7E58D1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

A pour from a freshly cracked regular ol BT.  Seems SUPER sweet to me tonight.

While you were opening yours, I was finishing what little was left in a BT Single Barrel. I don't know if it was this was the first bourbon of the week after a few days of beer or too much air in the bottle, but this last pour just seemed very flat and meh. So to not end the evening on a bad note, I  had a small pour of an older EC12 SB I recently opened from the bunker.

Last evening, a nice pour of SAOS 7 year bourbon.  Of course, a Sarah selection.  Glad to still have the SAOS 7 year bourbon and rye in my bar, and some backups in the bunker.  Both always enjoyable to me.

9F1436BF-5BAF-4904-ABC7-A74BE836E123.jpeg

10316B24-E448-445A-BB3B-621A6FBACBF8.jpeg

• I like it 5

The first pour of the evening was some regular BT while out to dinner with the wife. I had hoped to get a pour of WLW, but was told I could have some of the Reserve at the same price. Asked the waitress for clarification and if I could see the bottle first. Turns out, they were still trying to charge $25 a pour for WSR and OWA. Thus the $8 pour of BT

After we got home, I decided it was time to revisit some KCSB for a night cap.

I started last night on the dark side with Macallan 12, came back to the light and finished off a bottle of HMKBiB then a splash of Blantons. 

A little Tom Moore BiB before NO-DAL. Figure a bottle only sold in LA and TX was fitting. Also, I'm trying to finish it off. [emoji4]

Who would have thought the cowboys still know how to play football. Now if we can finish strong and win a playoff game.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, Clueby said:

A pour from a freshly cracked regular ol BT.  Seems SUPER sweet to me tonight.

FWIW, I often get a candy apple/hint of cinnamon from it, especially if it's been open awhile.  A nearby restaurant we frequent knows I like it so keeps it handy.

Today was a drizzly, cold day.  So, after doing some in-house maintenance (fixed a leak under the sink, oiled some pull-out shelf runners, etc.), I settled in to watch UT-UO (with its predictable outcome but still a good game) and UG-UA (with a likely outcome but still . . .).  I really didn't/don't care who wins.  PLUS, I now have a two-cube, hefty pour of 4R OBSV 9yr 10mos 60.3% in hand.

I’m with @Harry in WashDC; football and 4R for me too. Standard OBSV 100 proof SiB. Come on Bama! I can’t bear a playoff with 2 SEC teams AND ND. Well, yes I can if Clemson is in. 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I’m with @Harry in WashDC; football and 4R for me too. Standard OBSV 100 proof SiB. Come on Bama! I can’t bear a playoff with 2 SEC teams AND ND. Well, yes I can if Clemson is in. 

I could live with these teams since I have no fave at risk against them.  As long as I don't have to watch UMich with the sound on - whenever I hear that fight song, it sticks in my head for DAYS!  It's almost as bad as the tomahawk chop chant during Nats at Atl games.  SHeesh.  (No apologies, Joe - you all seem to be building a better team than we are this year.  I do NOT look forward to games in Atl this next season.)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
add "with the sound on"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.