Jump to content
kevinbrink

Fun with TTB COLA's Online

Recommended Posts

Harry in WashDC
15 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@flahute, please excuse me while I mop up my drool off the floor. 

 

Wow, that must have been an amazing experience to have some OF directly from the barrel, out in the elements in the warehouse, pre-filtration and at cask strength. C'est tres delicieux! 😍🥃

Yeah, well, my feeling on this is -- Given how hard it is to find an OF BB nowadays, who do I have to kill to get one of THESE?

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
39 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I think we all know of a certain moderator who'll be all over this wheater :D

I mean I believe his affinity is for Weller I thought clearly this is something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I mean I believe his affinity is for Weller I thought clearly this is something different.

It's from BT, that's all he needs :) 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

It's from BT, that's all he needs :) 

In all seriousness considering that there is a 7 year age statement on the back of that bottle, it would be interesting to try it next to the Weller line, I think he (as well as many of us) would be happy to give it a go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@flahute, please excuse me while I mop up my drool off the floor. 

 

Wow, that must have been an amazing experience to have some OF directly from the barrel, out in the elements in the warehouse, pre-filtration and at cask strength. C'est tres delicieux! 😍🥃

That is an appropriate response! It's that good. There's something about Old Fo at that proof and NCF that far outshines what they insist on bottling it at.

I may have had an empty plastic water bottle at the pick and I may have filled that bottle right out of the barrel and I may have nursed that for about a year after the pick.

So excited to see them finally offer this. While doing that pick we hammered on Chris Morris pretty hard to make this available at BP. Happy to see him going to bat for the enthusiast.  

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yeah, well, my feeling on this is -- Given how hard it is to find an OF BB nowadays, who do I have to kill to get one of THESE?

It's entering the barrel program so hopefully it will be appearing at a barrel picking store near you sometime this year!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit

 
And a little outfit in KY is putting out a few Kosher versions of their Bourbon, Wheated Bourbon and Rye Mashbills, I'm sure these will be of little interest outside of the Jewish Community (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000389
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000385
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000381


Bet it’s a lot better than Manischewitz wine.
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO
10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

And a little outfit in KY is putting out a few Kosher versions of their Bourbon, Wheated Bourbon and Rye Mashbills, I'm sure these will be of little interest outside of the Jewish Community (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000389

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000385

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19340001000381

If I were a rich man,

tweedy deedly dee dee dee 😄

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Shock n’yall, but I’ll more than likely be passing on the new BT wheater. 😵

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
20 hours ago, flahute said:

That is an appropriate response! It's that good. There's something about Old Fo at that proof and NCF that far outshines what they insist on bottling it at.

I may have had an empty plastic water bottle at the pick and I may have filled that bottle right out of the barrel and I may have nursed that for about a year after the pick.

So excited to see them finally offer this. While doing that pick we hammered on Chris Morris pretty hard to make this available at BP. Happy to see him going to bat for the enthusiast.  

 

@flahute, it just goes to show all the creative ways that empty water bottles can be used! 😜

 

Seriously, I hear you on the Old Fo at barrel strength and NCF. I'm not a fan of chill filtering for Bourbon, period.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Shock n’yall, but I’ll more than likely be passing on the new BT wheater. 😵

 

Biba! Joe

Ah, you say that now, Joe; but, I have little faith that when the time comes, when it's right in front of you, and you actually must decide; "yes or no"; it might be a 'less than likely' proposition.......   Just sayin'.  😊

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

I showed this to my Jewish & observant buddies today and they all found this unsavory because 1) no one thinks that plain old bourbon (without a fancy wine finish) is non-kosher in the first place, so this is just like how people slap gluten-free on popcorn, 2) this may give rabbis ideas.

 

Edit: this is what they said. Online there are others who think otherwise apparently.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 minute ago, Kane said:

I showed this to my Jewish & observant buddies today and they all found this unsavory because 1) no one thinks that plain old bourbon (without a fancy wine finish) is non-kosher in the first place, so this is just like how people slap gluten-free on popcorn, 2) this may give rabbis ideas.

Very far from the first kosher bourbon, the one I'm most familiar with in recent years is Old Williamsburg which came in both 7 Year 101 and 3 Year 80 proof.  I know someone who is Orthodox and that is all he would buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Very far from the first kosher bourbon, the one I'm most familiar with in recent years is Old Williamsburg which came in both 7 Year 101 and 3 Year 80 proof.  I know someone who is Orthodox and that is all he would buy.

Angel's Envy also did smth similar before apparently. My friends are also Orthodox but they were genuinely surprised. What do I know, I was labeled a muslim at birth so I'm fckd however you look at it :)

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Shock n’yall, but I’ll more than likely be passing on the new BT wheater. 😵

 

Biba! Joe

I'm calling bullshit on ya buddy :D

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
15 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I'm calling bullshit on ya buddy :D

Yeah. And you’ve been drinking too much dark side.  😝

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Shock n’yall, but I’ll more than likely be passing on the new BT wheater. 😵

 

Biba! Joe

🧐

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
[mention=8946]flahute[/mention], it just goes to show all the creative ways that empty water bottles can be used! [emoji12]
 
Seriously, I hear you on the Old Fo at barrel strength and NCF. I'm not a fan of chill filtering for Bourbon, period.  


Is there other barrel aged spirits where you think it’s good to chill filter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

 


Is there other barrel aged spirits where you think it’s good to chill filter?

 

@HoustonNit, yes there are, but it really depends upon what you're trying to achieve and why. Generally, chill filtration has traditionally only be carried out for spirits that are bottled below 46% ABV in order to prevent hazing, but if there are too many fatty acids in a spirit, it can also be a way to remove some of these, as they can add an unwanted bitterness. 

 

Brandies are often good candidates for chill filtration. For brandies that have been distilled "sur lie," or on the lees, are being bottled at 46% ABV or below, and are on the younger side (say, 2 to 10 years old), it can help to do a chill filtration to help remove some of the fats and esters. When I worked at Germain-Robin, we almost always chill filtered, and the brandy still had plenty of mouth feel and viscosity. However, this process isn't really necessary for older brandies, as these fatty acids will have broken down more over time.  

 

BUT.....if too many fatty acids and esters are a problem, another technique you could use to remove those instead of chill filtration is to carefully pump the spirit out of the barrel, rather than dump it (i.e., a "racking system"). This will leave some sediment, lees, etc., behind in the barrel. You can do further racking in the stainless tank too, in order to remove more fatty acids. 

 

Does this help? 

 

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
[mention=12713]HoustonNit[/mention], yes there are, but it really depends upon what you're trying to achieve and why. Generally, chill filtration has traditionally only be carried out for spirits that are bottled below 46% ABV in order to prevent hazing, but if there are too many fatty acids in a spirit, it can also be a way to remove some of these, as they can add an unwanted bitterness. 
 
Brandies are often good candidates for chill filtration. For brandies that have been distilled "sur lie," or on the lees, are being bottled at 46% ABV or below, and are on the younger side (say, 2 to 10 years old), it can help to do a chill filtration to help remove some of the fats and esters. When I worked at Germain-Robin, we almost always chill filtered, and the brandy still had plenty of mouth feel and viscosity. However, this process isn't really necessary for older brandies, as these fatty acids will have broken down more over time.  
 
BUT.....if too many fatty acids and esters are a problem, another technique you could use to remove those instead of chill filtration is to carefully pump the spirit out of the barrel, rather than dump it (i.e., a "racking system"). This will leave some sediment, lees, etc., behind in the barrel. You can do further racking in the stainless tank too, in order to remove more fatty acids. 
 
Does this help? 
 


Excellent yes and makes perfect sense, thanks.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
Bbstout
On 1/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Shock n’yall, but I’ll more than likely be passing on the new BT wheater. 😵

 

Biba! Joe

Why? I bet it would pair well with Matzo Ball Soup 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:
 
Waterfill and Frazier 100 Proof 5 Year old KSBW
 
  

I love how the new Waterfill and Frazier label really draws on the brands history. The picture below is from an old miniature I have. If this new bottle actually get released, I may have to buy one just because of the label

 

waterfill.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.