What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Fall/Winter 2018

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, Clueby said:

Just checked email and saw that I got the same email re the releases. I don't typically see committee releases on the shelf, however.

They basically show up here 1 per store and only at stores that move large volumes of whisky and never hit the shelf. A friend told me New York City got under 10 bottles, but I know one of the big NJ chains got 1 per store and they have 14 stores.

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Is that the MSRP? Here I know that the Committees sell for $109 and the wider releases for $90. I'm a fan of Grooves, of the last few I think I like it more than Kelpie and Auriverdes and less than Dark Cove though that is completely non scientific since my bottle of Dark Cove is long gone.

The non committee bottles of Ardbeg day stuff and other limited releases all typically go for about $120 here. There is still some Kelpie on the shelf. The only committee releases I've ever seen have been in the ubiquitous "glass case" and sell for a LOT more. 

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

According to the Committee email blast from Ardbeg, the CR version was supposed to hit on March 05 with the standard release on June 01, Ardbeg Day. I guess the bottles hit a bit early in the States-- it was quite the unexpected surprise. The Springbank 19yo Fresh Rum is one of my favorite drams-- so I'm hoping for the best.

Just checked email and saw that I got the same email re the releases. I don't typically see committee releases on the shelf, however.

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

They basically show up here 1 per store and only at stores that move large volumes of whisky and never hit the shelf. A friend told me New York City got under 10 bottles, but I know one of the big NJ chains got 1 per store and they have 14 stores.

I see that the gougers received their bottle of whiskEy… and used the tasting notes/ABV from the standard release.

258877652_ScreenShot2019-03-05at8_20_49AM.thumb.png.b211bc1bd7cfcfad04d4150cadeebe13.png

Just now, Marekv8 said:

I see that the gougers received their bottle of whiskEy… and used the tasting notes/ABV from the standard release.

258877652_ScreenShot2019-03-05at8_20_49AM.thumb.png.b211bc1bd7cfcfad04d4150cadeebe13.png

Yep I think everything hit here both in NY and NJ on Friday and the gougers are out in full force though that is definitely the worst I have seen.  

As it turns out I didn't strike out, take care of your Whiskey Monger's folks it pays off.

y4mvztFuagyFT0sTDSBY2Wxv1WfIp9jmZhdukkyP

• I like it 4

Found a new source for Remy era Famous Grouse, they had a whole mess of 10/12/18 grabbed these two

y4mj9fn-Yt47mKfjlofcD3Mkz0mfqweczQsojP5H

• I like it 3

On 3/5/2019 at 7:55 PM, kevinbrink said:

As it turns out I didn't strike out, take care of your Whiskey Monger's folks it pays off.

y4mvztFuagyFT0sTDSBY2Wxv1WfIp9jmZhdukkyP

Nice. I've put out some feelers but nothing so far. I'm a drummer also so a second reason I want to land that one.

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Nice. I've put out some feelers but nothing so far. I'm a drummer also so a second reason I want to land that one.

I know of a couple places that ship but all are $200 shoot me a PM if your interested.

Haven't purchased any Irish Whiskey in a while so I picked up an Egan's 10yo single malt just because. I don't do much buying that way anymore and I confess I miss it... 

Almost certainly sourced from Cooley's but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

very happy to come across an 007 Frog CS while i was hunting around today. read many good things about this batch.

02D2199C-3601-438E-A94C-90D89603678A.thumb.jpeg.364c37f5d06f0932122c79fe83636f87.jpeg

• I like it 3

After opening the 17yr that I bought a few months ago, and liking it, I ran across this yesterday and couldn’t pass it up.
IMG_0062.jpg

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

After opening the 17yr that I bought a few months ago, and liking it, I ran across this yesterday and couldn’t pass it up.
IMG_0062.jpg

Nice pickup Jeff! I've got the 2011, '15, '16 and '17 but haven't seen the '14.....yet :) 

• I like it 1

Nice pickup Jeff! I've got the 2011, '15, '16 and '17 but haven't seen the '14.....yet [emoji4] 

Wow! You are obviously a big fan of these Caol Ila releases. Is the 17yr old your favorite? I’ve read that this 15yr is very hot, and not liked by some folks, but of course everyone’s palate is different.

I think this 2014 release had been sitting on the shelf for a few years.

10 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! You are obviously a big fan of these Caol Ila releases. Is the 17yr old your favorite? I’ve read that this 15yr is very hot, and not liked by some folks, but of course everyone’s palate is different.

Well.......I guess you'd have to consider me a blind fan at this point. Haven't opened the others yet and only bought them because of the 17yr. Foolish? Perhaps but I like my chances :) 

• I like it 1

I’ve got the 2013 (Stitchell NAS), 2015, 2016 and 2017– but no 2014 either, nice grab. The 2018 release seems to be MIA. 

• I like it 1

Well.......I guess you'd have to consider me a blind fan at this point. Haven't opened the others yet and only bought them because of the 17yr. Foolish? Perhaps but I like my chances [emoji4] 

I’ve got the 2013 (Stitchell NAS), 2015, 2016 and 2017– but no 2014 either, nice grab. The 2018 release seems to be MIA. 

Well, I guess I’m foolish too since I bought the 2014 15yr based on my positive experience with the 2015 17yr release. I think these sit on the shelves awhile in many stores, so I wonder if that is why the 2018 is MIA...and Dave, if you can’t find it, it probably can’t be found.

24 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, I guess I’m foolish too since I bought the 2014 15yr based on my positive experience with the 2015 17yr release. I think these sit on the shelves awhile in many stores, so I wonder if that is why the 2018 is MIA...and Dave, if you can’t find it, it probably can’t be found.

I thought I picked up a 2018 and looked in the bunker but as it turns out I picked up a second 2017.

I thought I picked up a 2018 and looked in the bunker but as it turns out I picked up a second 2017.

That confirms it then, the 2018 is MIA.
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

That confirms it then, the 2018 is MIA.

Well I'm wondering if I left it on the shelf at this point, it is/was apparently a 15 year old. Wine-Searcher Pro has lots of results so unless they are 2014's still on the shelf it looks like it is out there. If anyone want's info on stores shoot me a PM.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well I'm wondering if I left it on the shelf at this point, it is/was apparently a 15 year old. Wine-Searcher Pro has lots of results so unless they are 2014's still on the shelf it looks like it is out there. If anyone want's info on stores shoot me a PM.

The 2016 release was also a 15yo, at 61.5% ABV. That’s the one I see out there most often. The word is that the 2018 release has yet to hit the States. 

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The 2016 release was also a 15yo, at 61.5% ABV. That’s the one I see out there most often. The word is that the 2018 release has yet to hit the States. 

Ahh didn't remember that.

Very Coastal Highland in nature-- like a badass bastard Oban. I ended up diluting this down to around 45% with no loss of composure and character.

IMG_0598.thumb.jpg.5da753eb0d0a5d3f05ff3046e13aab94.jpg

• I like it 3

This one's even more intense-- incredible strength of distillery character. I can understand why these "Unpeated Style" Caol Ila releases are so polarizing-- damn difficult but rewarding.

IMG_0600.thumb.jpg.ff20194841cc478b8504b46b94fdb63a.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.