What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

In keeping with my New Years resolution to stop saving my better bottles for imaginary special occasions, I popped this puppy open.

That's why I broke out a 2013 OWA I had been saving. What am I saving it for?

I still remember passing on SA Rye all the time at $30-ish because I could buy Rittenhouse at $16.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

They got cut off from their usual supply chain for NM a couple years ago and have had to pull from a variety of alternative sources, including their own distillate, to keep it on the shelves. This leads to a lot of variation.

Any idea when that happened? I have a few wax sealed bottes from '12, '13 & '14, a '13 is open now and it is pretty damn solid and as I remember NM, I bought a couple foil top bottes one I didn't think was so bad but the one that's open now is a '16 batch and it is pretty damn bad. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Any idea when that happened? I have a few wax sealed bottes from '12, '13 & '14, a '13 is open now and it is pretty damn solid and as I remember NM, I bought a couple foil top bottes one I didn't think was so bad but the one that's open now is a '16 batch and it is pretty damn bad. 

2-3 years ago. Any wax top should be fine. Foil tops are risky. Some are great but more often they are bad.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

They got cut off from their usual supply chain for NM a couple years ago and have had to pull from a variety of alternative sources, including their own distillate, to keep it on the shelves. This leads to a lot of variation.

I guessed it went something like that.   Thanx.   I'll sit 'em out 'til it stabilizes, I guess.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I guessed it went something like that.   Thanx.   I'll sit 'em out 'til it stabilizes, I guess.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

At this point I just pick up wax tops when I see them same with Rowan's Creek. I also tend to pick up Pure Kentucky XO if it still has the 12 yr "age statement" on back. 

On 2/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, Richnimrod said:

How did the NM seem to you?   In past years it was wonderful pour. Some folx in recent times have been disappointed; but some have been satisfied, which leads me to wonder about their batching/blending.

This was my first taste of NM. I like all whiskies. I tend to drink more Irish and Scotch whiskies than bourbons or ryes. My go-to bourbons are FRSB and Booker’s.

I was immediately struck by the spicy notes when nosing and tasting it. I wasn’t expecting that. NM had some of the notes and flavors that almost always stand out for me when I’m nosing or sipping bourbons: strong vanilla and caramel. I also tasted toffee. I’ll need to have several more pours over the next couple of weeks to form a more solid opinion. So far, I enjoyed it. It’s decent but I am not impressed...but that’s just a few ounces so far. 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, flahute said:

Do you know if this is when they removed the age statement?

7 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Do you know if this is when they removed the age statement?

That happened some time before this.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:54 PM, kevinbrink said:

Damn triple post.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:32 AM, Richnimrod said:

Dang!  You guys been drinking too much and then coming on here to post?:D

Just opened a bottle of MM CS that I picked up January 2017 for the ridiculous price of $39 (think they had it priced as a 375).  This is sooooo much better than their regular stuff.

3 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I refuse to answer on grounds of... well, you know the drill.  ;)

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I wish haven't had a drink since Nov 30th, had a good Dr. Appointment today though so getting closer

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I wish haven't had a drink since Nov 30th, had a good Dr. Appointment today though so getting closer

I full well know what you're going through Kevin. I have a new doctor. That being said, I really miss my old one. She was really great. My new one, well she's a bit obtuse. (Obtuse  borrowed from the movie Shawshank Redemption. <_<) I recently had a first time appointment/annual physical with my new doc. My old doctor would have been so excited and pleased that I haven't had a cigarette in over a year, even though I may have gained a couple pounds. :) Blood work fairly decent, but you know what you have to do. Keep up the good work and we'll see you again next year. My new doctor, well....... I've had blood work done twice, (once 'cause I think they fu**ed up) The first time, on one of the higher profile measurements, I was below the norm, and didn't even register on the chart. :o On my second blood test, I was smack dab in the middle of the "normal" range. Hmmmm. I've already had a CT scan, and have been scheduled for an ultra sound just 'cause, to be sure, and who knows why else.???? "Know what I mean Vern?" 

Pardon my ranting and the thread drift folks. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've already had a CT scan, and have been scheduled for an ultra sound just 'cause, to be sure, and who knows why else.???? "Know what I mean Vern?" 

Pardon my ranting and the thread drift folks. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

No Pardon needed Joey!   This 'new Doc sounds like a 'less than confident' practitioner.   What the heck is this Doc looking for???    If you haven't been told, I'd be Doc-shopping real quick.    Good Luck!

9 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Excited to give this a try.

20190206_211517.jpg

Let us know what you thought.  I picked up a couple of bottles at the gift shop.  I was suitably impressed.

31 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Let us know what you thought.  I picked up a couple of bottles at the gift shop.  I was suitably impressed.

Impressed here, too.  In fact, it was my personal “ Whiskey of the Year” for 2018.  

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Impressed here, too.  In fact, it was my personal “ Whiskey of the Year” for 2018.  

Yep same here, I can't stop myself from buying bottles even though I know a new one is supposedly coming out this year, I know it's tough to call $60 bottles a good value but to me this is one. It's still plentiful on the shelf here and one of the supermarkets has priced it down to $50. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Yep same here, I can't stop myself from buying bottles even though I know a new one is supposedly coming out this year, I know it's tough to call $60 bottles a good value but to me this is one. It's still plentiful on the shelf here and one of the supermarkets has priced it down to $50. 

I very much enjoyed the two bottles I purchased last year.  Had quite a few store pick regular KC Ryes and while cheaper I found the extra 3 years of age really made a difference.  Think they are still on shelves at $53 around here and I may just have to pick up one more.

• I like it 1

I got mine at the gift shop and since when I've seen it in the stores the price has been creeping up.  9 y.o. Cask Strength rye is not on every shelf every day so I'm glad I got mine.

12 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I enjoyed it. I need one or two more nights worth of pours to really decide. It seems my palate differs from night to night and I need to try something new several times to really get a good grasp of the flavors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.