What Beer are you Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^^If the opportunity presents, the Paulaner and Bitburger are worthy adversaries.  

My guess is that you’d prefer the Bitburger.  For me, the malt forward Pauly stood out due to it’s drinkability.

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

^^^^If the opportunity presents, the Paulaner and Bitburger are worthy adversaries.  

My guess is that you’d prefer the Bitburger.  For me, the malt forward Pauly stood out due to it’s drinkability.

They are now on my next up list!

Yeesh!  Long day.  Weihenstephaner Festbier to start the cooling down process.

D2409FED-5262-47BA-9425-C7ED25A008A0.jpeg

• I like it 2

I love fresh hop season. Founders seldom, if ever, disappoints. And it does well at washing down sweet potatoes and left over smoked pork loin. 

20201014_182710.jpg

• I like it 1

On 10/14/2020 at 6:35 PM, JCwhammie said:

I love fresh hop season. Founders seldom, if ever, disappoints.

I love Founder's ales, porters, stouts but not really any of their hoppy stuff. The only thing in that ilk I enjoyed was Doom...a barrel aged IPA.

I picked up a 4 pack of each of these today. I did a quick check in the basement and the only other KBS I have was 19 (maybe 8 or so left) so will do a sbs of 19 and 20 this weekend. I did end up having a 19 KBS with dinner.  There are a few CBS going back a couple years as well and a Curmudgeon's Better Half.

I found that I still have about 1.5 cases of BCBS of mixed 17, 18, and 19 and 4 or 5 variants.  There were even a few Firestone's from 17.  I don't drink beer as often so it's always kind of a surprise digging around in the beer collection. I need to really work on trimming it down 12 to 20 oz at a time.

20201015_190013.jpg

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

I love Founder's ales, porters, stouts but not really any of their hoppy stuff. The only thing in that ilk I enjoyed was Doom...a barrel aged IPA.

I picked up a 4 pack of each of these today. I did a quick check in the basement and the only other KBS I have was 19 (maybe 8 or so left) so will do a sbs of 19 and 20 this weekend. I did end up having a 19 KBS with dinner.  There are a few CBS going back a couple years as well and a Curmudgeon's Better Half.

I found that I still have about 1.5 cases of BCBS of mixed 17, 18, and 19 and 4 or 5 variants.  There were even a few Firestone's from 17.  I don't drink beer as often so it's always kind of a surprise digging around in the beer collection. I need to really work on trimming it down 12 to 20 oz at a time.

20201015_190013.jpg

I've been trying to find Sierra Nevada Norther Hemisphere Harvest Ale, but it's nowhere to be found in STL. It's my favorite fresh hop. 

I agree that Founders does an outstanding job with their other stuff. I have a few KBS, Old Curmudgeon, and Imperial Stouts of theirs from years past. I stopped buying beers like that a few years ago, as I just wasn't drinking them like I used to. 

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I've been trying to find Sierra Nevada Norther Hemisphere Harvest Ale, but it's nowhere to be found in STL. It's my favorite fresh hop. 

I agree that Founders does an outstanding job with their other stuff. I have a few KBS, Old Curmudgeon, and Imperial Stouts of theirs from years past. I stopped buying beers like that a few years ago, as I just wasn't drinking them like I used to. 

I don't drink them like I used to either but somehow can't resist. ?‍♂️

Just recently found a 4 pack of Founder's Frootwood and 4 2017 BCBS in my office at work. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect for the season.  Especially after last night.  And damn good beer too.  Treehouse Fall Classic American IPA.

IMG_6073.thumb.jpg.f81018d3bbd70c4fe97afdf810246c18.jpg

Getting primed for the Halloween Weekend with a Highland Nrewing Clawhammer Oktoberfest.  Touch of sweetness with a very nice malty backbone.  Similar to SA Octoberfest.  But after this week, the whiskey will be needed soon... ? 

2CEF6776-3F60-4FCE-B8EC-BBDC020F74E2.jpeg

• I like it 1

^^^^^That looks very nice.  I’ve made the move on to cool weather beer... still wanted that heavy malt , though.

45956873-A903-4F07-98B8-26DE88C82DD1.jpeg

Treehouse Whisper.  An Oktoberfest/Marzen that, no surprise, is terrific.  Absolutely quaffable.  I like it in gulps.  It has plenty of body but is light enough that you can drink a lot.   And snow today so there's that!

IMG_6092.thumb.jpg.f6eee64ec271081198444ed9a80328bc.jpgIMG_6095.thumb.jpg.23c1682efc2fc863625e8eb4b74afa21.jpg

• I like it 1

Went to the store today looking for Duvel and saw that the holiday beers are in so it's officially holiday winter beer season in my house.

Currently drinking a Deschutes Jubleale which is a perennial favorite. The recipe changes a bit every year so some years I don't like it as much but this year's is a winner and is as good as any of the best years I can remember.

Also bought some Ninkasi Sleigh'r which is also an every year favorite. 

And a first time purchase of some Maritime Pacific Brewing Jolly Roger Christmas Ale.

3138411F-B5C4-461C-B375-DEF5B1EB107B.jpeg

The misses, baby Whammie, and I decided to get about an hour out of the STL metro to cabin on a lake. Instead of bringing whiskey i decided to get into my beer cellar. Tonight's bottle is a 2012 Founders Imperial. 

When I started cellaring beer in 2009 I had it in my head that these high ABV beers would all improve with a fair bit of aging. The more I drink of these 5+ year old bottles the more I realize how I should just buy what I plan on drinking within a year or less. 

This one isn't bad, it's just flat. 

20201101_205539.jpg

20201101_205650.jpg

17 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

The misses, baby Whammie, and I decided to get about an hour out of the STL metro to cabin on a lake. Instead of bringing whiskey i decided to get into my beer cellar. Tonight's bottle is a 2012 Founders Imperial. 

When I started cellaring beer in 2009 I had it in my head that these high ABV beers would all improve with a fair bit of aging. The more I drink of these 5+ year old bottles the more I realize how I should just buy what I plan on drinking within a year or less. 

This one isn't bad, it's just flat. 

20201101_205539.jpg

20201101_205650.jpg

I've tried not to go over about 3 to 5 years.  I think the oldest ones I currently have are 2016.  Drink up.

• I like it 1

This Bell’s Best Brown Ale out back to start the weekend.  Still a solid beer, that I always enjoy this time of year.  I do miss the Heavy on the dark orange, grey, and brown colors and the Autumnal lonely forest at dusk brooding artwork as on the old can, though.  This new one just doesn’t take me places!  ?

29541950-8FE2-4281-A59F-42FCEDE67B52.jpeg

My brother left a couple of these here from last weekend. Can't say I love it. It's a bit effervescent for a Porter.

@smokinjoe I didn't even recognize that as a Bell's.

20201106_184209.jpg

Edited by Clueby

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This Bell’s Best Brown Ale out back to start the weekend.  Still a solid beer, that I always enjoy this time of year.  I do miss the Heavy on the dark orange, grey, and brown colors and the Autumnal lonely forest at dusk brooding artwork as on the old can, though.  This new one just doesn’t take me places!  ?

29541950-8FE2-4281-A59F-42FCEDE67B52.jpeg

My brother, you forgot to hold your glass sideways when you poured that in.

10 minutes ago, flahute said:

My brother, you forgot to hold your glass sideways when you poured that in.

Ha!  I love to slosh in my pours!  Creates all kinds of physical action that opens it up.  Of course, I let it settle down before sipping (after this week...GULPING!).  ?

• I like it 2

On this 45th anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, I felt it fitting to go with a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter as my beer of the day.  

9B4372F6-9682-49AE-A1D6-2F3FF65C2F59.jpeg

• I like it 3

I was able to pick up a six pack this week during a quick trip to Kentucky.  I love this porter.  ?

A03BC3D4-DF46-4828-A6CA-B766F716A51D.jpeg

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, ebo said:

Great Lakes Hazecraft IPA.

L55ZLGVHJJFSFMBTQI44KXQYSE.jpg

Nice!  Great Lakes is my favorite brewery.  

• I like it 1

Had some KBS while smoking. Hit the ribs with some Founder's Frootwood.

Now having some BCBS waiting for that last hour to finish while my mouth waters. Tossed a couple pork steaks on for the last couple hours for good measure.

20201113_120330.jpg

20201113_141736.jpg

20201113_163246.jpg

20201113_164321.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.