What Beer are you Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Has that Hopslam been around awhile? I seem to remember it usually gets released around the first of the year. Although I like to age it a bit to tone down the hops and push the honey more forward.

I picked it up earlier this year.  I agree completely with your take on what a little age dies for this beer, and puts it more in my wheelhouse accordingly.

My Octoberfest beer season is started today as it always does each year, with a Sam Adams Octoberfest.  SAO is my favorite of this seasons beers, and despite a balmy 90 degrees here now, I’m loving it as much as ever.  

C6B53A39-7993-40E8-BCCD-EF15F00367BF.jpeg

• I like it 1

OK, Mrssmokinjoe is not as impressed as I am with me putting the outdoor storage box together, but I’ve put enough bottoms on tops, left side where the right side should be, something upside down, to celebrate when I don’t F up a put it together yourself project...?  So, celebratory SAO it is for me!  

PS:  No parts left over...  YESSSSSS!!  ?

11231326-ED7B-4B29-BCA3-BE0181C000B0.jpeg

• I like it 3

Had some more Founder's Marvelroast yesterday while grilling some pork steaks. I even had a CBS out of the basement fridge because I didn't feel like going all the way back upstairs for another. 

20200905_151740.jpg

Nicely putting the flames out from a very trying Tuesday...

9C349603-D697-45A4-BD8A-026729893870.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s feelin’ like Fall, Y’all.  Sunny and coolish, so a Red Hare Hasenpfeffer Oktoberfest is in order while listening to the Braves on the radio.  The butterfly slopped up the drips...?

DF356C6B-CBCD-431A-A90D-5DF8A4B1B360.jpeg

47B5AAF6-DF97-42D5-A159-132AA355E1B9.jpeg

• I like it 3

My wife happened to be on the North side of Indy on her day off.  She asked if there was anything I wanted from Trader Joe's. ?  I said, let me call before you go, to see if they have their Oktoberfest beer.  Guy on the phone says no, but the truck is in back unloading.  I would have been happy with one six pack.  Anyway, my wife comes home with the hatch back full of different Oktoberfest beers: Josephsbrau, Sierra Nevada, Upland.  Last year, the Upland blew me away.  

I'm taking a bunch to our friends, who want to show us their new outdoor wood fired pizza oven.

Will report back.

• I like it 2

Picked up the Founder’s Oktoberfest due to Paddy’s liking it.  Unfortunately, I compare all US Oktoberfests to my multi-year reigning champ... Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  The Founders is nice, and I could see it easily being drinkable in quantity as I find it lighter, even though there is a solid maltiness on the palate.  Just a bit too light for my tastes.  The SAO is just so dang good for me!  

00024501-AE90-4E06-B94F-E8204DB4750D.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Has that Hopslam been around awhile? I seem to remember it usually gets released around the first of the year. Although I like to age it a bit to tone down the hops and push the honey more forward.

Hopslam is only brew for release in mid January, for the record I always age a couple of cans of Hopslam, tastes more like a barleywine after aging a year or so.

I still have some Bells Batch 9000 and 10000 to enjoy.

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Picked up the Founder’s Oktoberfest due to Paddy’s liking it.  Unfortunately, I compare all US Oktoberfests to my multi-year reigning champ... Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  The Founders is nice, and I could see it easily being drinkable in quantity as I find it lighter, even though there is a solid maltiness on the palate.  Just a bit too light for my tastes.  The SAO is just so dang good for me!  

00024501-AE90-4E06-B94F-E8204DB4750D.jpeg

Nice notes, Joe!  I do love the rich creaminess  and maltiness of this one, and sadly admit that I’ve not even tasted this years Sammy Adams.

I know that’s dang near sacrilegious of me isn’t it? ?  Nevertheless, I trudge forward like a true warrior does!?

88C6A3E2-F70D-4C55-893E-59572D82D539.jpeg

Edited by Paddy

It's fairly well known that if my brother likes something I haven't yet tried that there's about a 100% chance I'm going to go out and buy it.

That's why I'm currently drinking a Samuel Adams Oktoberfest right now.

Yep - pretty dang good. He steered me well again.

How is the Sierra Nevada?

1 hour ago, flahute said:

It's fairly well known that if my brother likes something I haven't yet tried that there's about a 100% chance I'm going to go out and buy it.

If we could get Harry and Paddy to Bardstown one day, we could film an episode of My Three Sons.  ?

I like this years SN.  Some maltiness, a bit more sweet, and big floral notes.  I liked it, though different from the others to my palate.  I just love this time of year going through the Fall beers.  

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

If we could get Harry and Paddy to Bardstown one day, we could film an episode of My Three Sons.  ?

I like this years SN.  Some maltiness, a bit more sweet, and big floral notes.  I liked it, though different from the others to my palate.  I just love this time of year going through the Fall beers.  

We must make this happen!

I've always had a thing for the Christmas beers and look forward to them every year.

This is my first year looking for Oktoberfest beers. One of my favorite Christmas beers is the Ninkasi Sleigh'r. It's a double alt style beer and has a malty profile which made me realize that I might like the Oktoberfest beers. So far so good!

Having a pour of this Schlafly Imperial Oktoberfest. I think it's from last year. Found it hiding in the bottom of the fridge. It's not bad. Low carbonation (could be from the age) and a bit of bitterness under the maltiness.

20200927_175045.jpg

Edited by Clueby

Tried an Ayinger Oktoberfest while watching the second half of the Hawks game. (Whew! Close one.)

I like the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest better but still enjoyed it. I'm noticing that when I drink these I crave brats and big pretzels.

• I like it 2

On 9/26/2020 at 7:41 PM, flahute said:

I had Sierra Nevada last night, then Sam Adams.

I seem to recall Sierra Nevada changes their Oktoberfest recipe every year.  Last year's was a little too hoppy to be true to the style for me.  This year's version is very nice - rich and malty.  It has some fresh bread notes.  It's not quite as dark as the SA.

• I like it 1

I picked up the Paulaner and Shiner Octoberfests today.  Was hoping to find the Weihenstephaner, but no dice, so Paulaner subbed in.

Well, our big plans to bring Oktoberfest to our friends got postponed.  Their children came down with some illness.  So I've been the one man Oktoberfest at home - only about one beer per night.

I tried something my wife bought (I wouldn't normally buy) pumpkin ale.

This Screaming Gourds Pumpkin Ale from San Jose has a ton of spice added.  I find it better drank directly from the bottle.  It is a cinnamon bomb - like those toothpicks we had in junior high.  Wife said it was too much for her, and she likes some pumpkin beers.  I started to warm up to it, but it would probably have to be the only or last pour of the evening, when the mood strikes me.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

It’s a perfect fall day...  for a seasonal session.?

5DFF8001-4418-48DC-9DD8-3D1C53B06654.jpeg

Ya makin’ me jealous, bruddah!!!  Since Great Lakes isn’t distributed in GA and I didn’t make it to Bardstown with the shutdown of KBF, I wasn’t able to pick up their Oktoberfest this year...  ?. I always enjoy theirs.  You lucky dog...?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.