What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, JMFH said:

40687691883_78e8d52147_c.jpg

Really good value at $28.  Quite enjoyable.

That store does good picks. My brother in law has been on a few of them and has sent me bottles in the past.

• I like it 1

I kicked of this evenings bourbon journey with a fresh pour of some EC Single Barrel Store Pick aged 12yrs which was extremely good. After that, a little Stagg Jr. Batch 9 as a night cap.

14 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Yeah maybe my comment was dumb (I understand the perceived value of $50 varies person to person). Maybe I've just adjusted to the new norms. As I said above, I prefer it to other bottles in the $50+ category so I'll continue to be a buyer. I won't deprive myself of what may be my favorite whiskey out of principle. I don't care if it's 4 years old, it's better to me than several 10+ year whistle pig picks which cost $30-40 more. That said, 80% of my intake is and will continue to be WT101 and OF Rye. Bottles over $35 make up about 5% of my intake right now. 

Personally, I don't think we will see the bubble bust until we have another economic downturn. People in general are doing well right now so they can or want to splurge.  I've seen many articles recently stating that Millennials, in particular, value and are spending their money on  "experiences" over "things," and while buying a bottle is a thing, drinking it is an experience so maybe that's at play also. 

No I don't think your comment was dumb at all.  I see your point and I didn't read your well-reasoned explanation until after I posted.  You are right to go strictly by taste and not by stats on the bottle.  How it tastes is ultimately the only thing that matters.  I'm a hypocrite because I have bought a couple of those Willett ryes myself, and I just opened a Wild Turkey product (WB Saffell) that is overpriced based on stats alone (NAS), and it tastes damn good and I don't regret paying the high price, because to me the enjoyment it brings me is worth it.  I don't consider these whiskeys a steal however; in fact I have to "hold my nose" when I purchase this overpriced stuff, but I do it anyway because I sure enjoy it,  just the same as you.  That's why all of us are on this fine site.  Don't let a curmudgeon like me spoil your enjoyment of this hobby!  Cheers ?

4 hours ago, JMFH said:

40687691883_78e8d52147_c.jpg

Really good value at $28.  Quite enjoyable.

Wonderful photo.  That might be my favorite pic yet.  Enjoy

After a "lent-inspired" commitment to abstain from whiskey for 40 days, I'm glad to treat myself to a pour.  My commitment was not religious based because I'm not Catholic, but it was instead more health-based. I lost a little over 10 pounds during that time. I only cheated once and that was because I visited my brother on a weekend and since I don't see him all that often, we shared some pours together.

I waited awhile so I'm making it a good one - WB Saffell, the new WT offering. It's great.  

• I like it 7

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

College parties. You gotta love'em. They have the basic Evan williams and JD, too!

IMG_20190420_225224.jpg

Plus, don't forget the Smirnoff Ice.  I didn't know they still made that stuff.  Ugh.

ECBP. The old style bottle. 136 proof. This stuff is amazing. 

• I like it 6

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

ECBP. The old style bottle. 136 proof. This stuff is amazing. 

One of my drinking buddies says that the 136.0 is one of his favorite ECBP. I have a bottle or three of that one. I need to get around to cracking it open.

Followed up the Saffell with WT101 and it hit the spot too.  

Now I'm sipping some HMcK10BiB and it's good, typical McKenna but not a honey barrel by any means.

I thought this was a good read, did y'all see this?

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/12/henry-mckenna-single-barrel-best-whiskey-controversy/

I'm of the opinion that no way should McKenna win any any award for best bourbon.  Special non-typical honey single barrels should be exempt from those awards.

An award show is an award show.  They don't mean much.  I'm sure small batches are specially created small batches just for the show....just like they take a special select barrel for single barrels to the show.  What's the difference? If the judges think its the best that particular day then it's the best that particular day.  Heck even the Orioles beat the Yankees sometimes.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Plus, don't forget the Smirnoff Ice.  I didn't know they still made that stuff.  Ugh.

"Ugh" summarizes the night. So much cheap liquor and empty conversations. I'm the cool prof hanging out with the kids, but I am getting too old for this. Maybe 10 JDs and who knows how many shots of unknown poison later I'm at a Starbucks sipping my dark roast at 6am, and I'm guaranteed to sleep through my Sunday. Ugh.

Edited by Kane

It is a Kikuichi. I love it. Just had it sharpened today. Super sharp and has made me a knife snob for sure!

Nice! I went Japanese for the first time with Tojiros about 10 years ago and never looked back.

A little Wisconsin bourbon last night. For those that have never had it, it is 45th Parallel Distillery in New Richmond, WI. Aged 4 years and the whiskey is distilled in their pots alone using their own grain, no blending.

20190420_235304.thumb.jpg.d6000c7dfed448db548c239ed9da6024.jpg

EW SB "2011". Was really disappointed at first, but about halfway through the bottle now and it has opened up a little. Some caramel and orange coming through. I'm enjoying it.

Beer before and with dinner.  Finishing off with some Boone County Eighteen 33 12 year.  Hope everybody had a great day.

Enjoyed a pour of Yellowstone 2017 LE along with some bourbon balls and a few other bourbon chocolates, all while watching Ep 2 of GOT season 8.

The wife had GoT on the telly tonight, for me it was more background noise. I was enjoying some '15 Michter's BP Rye, and it was fantastic.  Now a small nightcap of a Blanton's store pick before I'm off to bed.  

• I like it 1

After enjoying Easter with the family, including my grandson, I sat down to watch some NBA playoffs and decided to make it a wheat night.  Started with Larceny, followed that with a pour of my getting too close to empty bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB and finished with some DN 1843.

IMG_0455.jpg
Starting with ER10 while I enjoy the weather and the baked potatoes slowly cook on the grill. Have some nice Filets to go with them. Got some tunes on and it’s beautiful, although I hadn’t noticed the squirrels had raided the bird feeder again until I snapped this picture.

• I like it 2

I’m having a couple of pours of Baker’s this evening. Good stuff.  :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.