What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

You are clearly too modest. Wonderfully staged photos, brilliant colors. You must be in marketing. Ha! Carry on.

Pat

Thanks for the kind words.  Not in marketing but it would certainly be nice!

Finished an underwhelming WTKS then moved on to the stellar 101. Its not even close how much better the 101 is vs that particular KS barrel. I thought  I had enough 101 stock but every time I have a pour of the recent vintage I start thinking, I just might need to add another handle.

• I like it 2

Just finished a couple of pours of one of my favorite bourbons:  OF 1920.  Guess what?  Just as good as it every was.  Continues to be one of my primary go to bourbons.

• I like it 3

CEHT Small Batch to relax with after a day of work and evening of yard work. It is that time of year again. 

• I like it 1

It seemed like a great evening for a 101 sbs. I prefer the WT101, but I wish the OE101 wasnt gone. 

20190416_190049.jpg

• I like it 2

Purchased/opened and now drinking this WTRB barrel proof tonight.. Always been a favorite pour of mine, and although first rate this bottle doesn’t excite me as some of the older versions I’ve had in the past.. Nose is pleasant with some typical WT notes, but even for a barrel proof the spice and toast/char are a little too pronounced then some RB I’ve enjoyed previously.. Still enjoying, but TBD how I feel on this particular bottle..

5B23C201-E148-4926-A284-8588C7F1F481.jpeg

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

CEHT Small Batch to relax with after a day of work and evening of yard work. It is that time of year again. 

You get a thumbs, but not for the £¥€%ing yardwork! Lol.. *See some of my previous weekend posts* Ughh! ;) 

• I like it 1

Celebrating my daughters 2nd bday 2 days early. First time pairing the Makers CS with a cigar and going great with this one. The heavy chocolate notes from this cigar go great with the chocolate covered cherries I get from the Makers. I think the higher proof is a must for a wheater with a cigar.
IMG_2584.jpg

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, marshall9779 said:

Celebrating my daughters 2nd bday 2 days early. First time pairing the Makers CS with a cigar and going great with this one. The heavy chocolate notes from this cigar go great with the chocolate covered cherries I get from the Makers. I think the higher proof is a must for a wheater with a cigar.
IMG_2584.jpg

Congrats.. looked for the MMCS today myself which normally I can find (haven’t tried yet) but drew a blank.. nothing like a top notch pour paired with a quality cigar! Nice, BTW I love a primo box-pressed cigar myself.  Well done..

• I like it 1

EW SB "2011". Light grass and slightly rotten apple on the nose, dry cinnamon, hot and thin, with a long burn finish. Not as good as some bottles of this I've had in the past.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:07 PM, Supercharger said:

I couldn’t get past it. Corked it and will let it sit a while. Opened a Blantons today instead. 

You guys remember the Seinfeld where Jerry couldn’t get over his GF previously dating Newman?   Hello Dickle.

• I like it 1

Currently sipping on Mississippi's first ever bourbon. Bought a few bottles when I was there back in December. Nice color, interesting flavor profile on this one. Caramel sweetness with just  a little spice to it.

269826338_RichGrain1.thumb.jpg.797e50b7290675012bc0d2203ae80029.jpg

Currently sipping on Mississippi's first ever bourbon. Bought a few bottles when I was there back in December. Nice color, interesting flavor profile on this one. Caramel sweetness with just  a little spice to it.

269826338_RichGrain1.thumb.jpg.797e50b7290675012bc0d2203ae80029.jpg

Where’s the distillery located? Are they sourcing the whiskey from MGP or Dickel perhaps, or are they distilling and aging their own distillate?

Just now, lcpfratn said:

Where’s the distillery located? Are they sourcing the whiskey from MGP or Dickel perhaps, or are they distilling and aging their own distillate?

They are distilling their own bourbon right in Mississippi, Canton, MS to be exact. No, they do not source anything from anyone. They publish their mash bill on their website and age their bourbon for 2 years. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:18 PM, JCwhammie said:

From what I've read so far, the 100 proof VOB hasn't suffered since going from BIB to 'crafted'. So I dont feel the need to ration what I have left. However I do like knowing exactly what's going in the bottle with BIB

20190413_221255.jpg

FWIW, I just (a couple day ago) finished off one of the newest labels and then dipped into a neckband "6 years" I opened by mistake months ago (bunker was DARK!!)"  Yes, there's a difference, but it is well within the profile - IOW, I have no fear, so far, of buying without tasting first regardless of label design.

EDIT - Oh, yeah - What I drinking?  Tonight was about 1 OZ. of basic BT before dinner then a good 2 OZ. of JB Dist Cut, both neat, while watching Giants at Nats.  I'm done for the night as tomorrow is going to be tough - have to go with my wife to the grocery store.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
To get back on thread
  • I like it 2

56 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

You guys remember the Seinfeld where Jerry couldn’t get over his GF previously dating Newman?   Hello Dickle.

Funny you quote this. I was in the basement turning on the dehumidifier and walked past the bar. 

“Let’s see if my palate is different tonight,” I thought to myself. 

Tried a nip of the SAOS Dickel....quickly grabbed a nearby open (Michters) to gargle with. 

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

They are distilling their own bourbon right in Mississippi, Canton, MS to be exact. No, they do not source anything from anyone. They publish their mash bill on their website and age their bourbon for 2 years. 

It would be much more interesting if they could age it at least four years.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

It would be much more interesting if they could age it at least four years.

...In full size barrels.

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I'm done for the night as tomorrow is going to be tough - have to go with my wife to the grocery store.

Godspeed our brother. We wish you well.

Let us know what you end up drinking to recover from this experience.

13 minutes ago, flahute said:

Maybe, we should queue up the theme from “Rocky” to inspire him!  :D

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I'm done for the night as tomorrow is going to be tough - have to go with my wife to the grocery store.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

53 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Maybe, we should queue up the theme from “Rocky” to inspire him!  :D

Geez guys. I really don’t mind going grocery shopping with my wife. One store we go to has a liquor store right next door. Another (Sam’s Club) has its own liquor department. It’s a win win situation as far as I’m concerned. :P   That is, if my wife is in a decent mood and I don't take too long.  :unsure:

Biba! Joe

It seemed like a great evening for a 101 sbs. I prefer the WT101, but I wish the OE101 wasnt gone. 
20190416_190049.thumb.jpg.6723870576c5c7d4ca754693bb09bd32.jpg

Does oxygen hurt the 1.75 Wt101 ?
I am always afraid of buying a big bottle for that reason .
I know your answer will be.... drink it faster. But just asking
  • I like it 1

This just isn't a bad splash at all...

20190417_174423.thumb.jpg.e4acea9f9d00fc045742f0ead2d0bf96.jpg

However, it's interesting that my palate doesn't pick up the same notes as the big boy reviews.

Very easy on the burn & I get only a wisp of cherry & dark fruits; more the caramel apple followed by dark chocolate & a long but not overwhelming cinnamon, oaky finish...

Worth a try!!! (2018)

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.