What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Passed on a Blantons, CEHT small batch among a couple other BT products. The VOB was a  whole $12.... couldn’t leave it even if it’s 80 proof. The JTSB BiB is from a suggestion from a friend who also turned me on to old Fitzgerald 80 proof and I really dig the OF. Idk why I got the 1792 FP, total tater moment I guess. I’m not really into 110+ proof but......who knows what I’ll like in a few years. The Weller is just to add to the bunker so I can enjoy it on a weekly basis. 

EB0CEF14-293B-452E-8459-FD5C86F96479.jpeg

I’m a big fan of Barton/1792, but full proof is my least favorite product from them.   That being said, I’ve tried a few private picks of it that were very good, and with Binny’s, there’s a good chance you get a enjoyable one. 

• I like it 1

Never had it before, but been wanting to try it. Heard some say 'if you see it, buy it'.  So I did.

0425191634a.jpg

• I like it 2

Another nice find on the way home today, Stagg Jr., and grabbed another BT family size too.

20190424_164108.thumb.jpg.3429eceab9a2658c23c65eb1a7e1db89.jpg

• I like it 3

My string of tasty BT PS single barrels ended yesterday. Went to a new LS and they had just gotten them in. 

Even though the owner said the barrel was 8.5 years old (I didn’t catch the Warehouse), this has a real astringent note mid palate to me.

Did a SBS with another PS I have, and pretty sure I won’t go back for another.

D99D1C08-4670-4675-A377-E4B80EE9E743.jpeg

1 minute ago, raymoall said:

My string of tasty BT PS single barrels ended yesterday. Went to a new LS and they had just gotten them in. 

Even though the owner said the barrel was 8.5 years old (I didn’t catch the Warehouse), this has a real astringent note mid palate to me.

Did a SBS with another PS I have, and pretty sure I won’t go back for another.

D99D1C08-4670-4675-A377-E4B80EE9E743.jpeg

Kind of a shame that certain stores are just plain ol' better pickers than others. Oh well, it probably is still a good mixer or random company pour...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Never had it before, but been wanting to try it. Heard some say 'if you see it, buy it'.  So I did.

0425191634a.jpg

You misunderstood. It's if you see it, send it to me!!!

Anyway, it seems that there are those that like; quite a lot or those that are not impressed.

I am part of the first team...

31 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

You misunderstood. It's if you see it, send it to me!!!

Anyway, it seems that there are those that like; quite a lot or those that are not impressed.

I am part of the first team...

I think I'll be on your team. Haven't opened it yet, but like Heaven Hill high proofs on the sweet side (that this appears to be sourced from).

Anybody purchased a Joseph Magnus Single Barrel sourced from Dickel instead of MGP?  A store has a 10 year SB and I'm kind of hesitant to pull the trigger on it.  Pretty sure they won't have an open bottle to sample either.  They have been very solid in their other store picks though.

2 hours ago, JMFH said:

Anybody purchased a Joseph Magnus Single Barrel sourced from Dickel instead of MGP?  A store has a 10 year SB and I'm kind of hesitant to pull the trigger on it.  Pretty sure they won't have an open bottle to sample either.  They have been very solid in their other store picks though.

Have you enjoyed any version of Dickel distilled whiskey in the past?  That's the test.  People tend to fall on one side of the fence or the other.

• I like it 2

Picked up a MMCS earlier this week. I haven’t had a bottle in a couple years, which I really liked, but always passed at the $60 price tag. Well it’s on sale at Binny’s and I couldn’t pass on the $20 off price. 

Since Springtime is slowly approaching us here on the Middle Coast, I'm trying to cut back on the 100+pf stuff.  Not stop mind you, just a moderate moderation. So while I was perusing the offerings in an LS on the SW side of the metro area, I ran across some MM for $24/750ml.  It's not my favorite pour as evidenced by my last purchase sometime back in December but I'm adjusting.

Today was just my day (some bottles are for a friend). Turkeys with the "codes"...and since when was McKenna BIB note worthy? IMG_20190424_175546501.thumb.jpeg.76efc504c1b9a77cf17171bec418b1a5.jpeg

Are they changing the W101 recipe? That I should be looking for this years code or something?

13 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Picked up a MMCS earlier this week. I haven’t had a bottle in a couple years, which I really liked, but always passed at the $60 price tag. Well it’s on sale at Binny’s and I couldn’t pass on the $20 off price. 

That's a killer price.  Nicely done!

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, JMFH said:

Did a Magnus pick last year with my local and went to DC for the pick. We tried samples out of two different Dickel barrels, and well........it tasted like Dickel which we hate so we passed on those and selected a great MGP barrel.

Only take a chance on it if you know that you like Dickel. Many of us get a strong vitamin flavor which is a huge turn off.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Did a Magnus pick last year with my local and went to DC for the pick. We tried samples out of two different Dickel barrels, and well........it tasted like Dickel which we hate so we passed on those and selected a great MGP barrel.

Only take a chance on it if you know that you like Dickel. Many of us get a strong vitamin flavor which is a huge turn off.

Thanks for the reply.  I found another store that has a MGP SB so will grab that one instead. 

Edit with today's pickups:

46791429695_96b8a93a7d_c.jpg

Edited by JMFH
  • I like it 1

Picked up a case of Blantons, 4 bottles of Eagle Rare, bottle of Elmer T Lee, and 1 Henry McKennan 10 year.

kicking myself I didn’t grab the 8 bottles of Basil 10 year Black Label(never seen it in stores before)

51c5a2091427cc8b1d6e60b6a4914085.jpg

Not a purchase but a gift from the wife today! Had a big interview today for a new job at work that I’ve informally been advised that I got and the official paperwork will be given to me next week !! Time to crack this baby open tonight [emoji1373][emoji1373][emoji1373]

• I like it 9

I have the forum to thank for this purchase. I read enough positive reviews that I decided I needed to try it for myself. 

Update: it did not disappoint

A9630B27-37ED-4FA8-9675-A272E47EA21E.jpeg

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 5

Are they changing the W101 recipe? That I should be looking for this years code or something?

Read this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rarebird101.com/2019/01/15/wild-turkey-101-2018/amp/

RareBreed, 101, RR10YR all had older Whiskey than normal because Longbranch was using up all the 8yr old juice. This apparently effected bottles from last August thru October/November. And those date codes are LL/GH thru LL/GJ(K). No one is exactly sure when that stopped. This info came from an Eddie Russell interview.

• I like it 1

My LS came through again on a Friday for me. Ignore the tequila, as it is a birthday present for a friend. 

5F54FC3A-D84A-4687-966B-652C0E33E060.jpeg

• I like it 6

Just realized I bought a bottle of WT101 and forgot to check date codes, crud it’s a 2017 bottling I may need to dump it.

• I like it 1

Getting ready for Summer.  Today was embarrassing - one OGD BIB, three VOB 100s, two basic BTs, one Legent, and one AAA.  The AAA is already in the freezer.  Three of them went in the car trunk. I have no idea where I'm going to put the others - maybe drink fast?

Note to self - I can NOT be trusted to grocery shop on my own.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Just realized I bought a bottle of WT101 and forgot to check date codes, crud it’s a 2017 bottling I may need to dump it.

Um, I suggest you just drink it fast so you don't taste it.  OR, earmark it for cocktails.  After all, it is NOT Old Crow.:blink:  Speaking of which - while I was hunting basic BT today (one bottle per customer @ Virginia ABC stores so I hit two stores), I saw a guy leave his truck running, rush in, grab a handle of OC, pay cash, and rush out.  Scavenger hunt?  I sure hope he wasn't drinking it.

• I like it 2

Picked up a case of Blantons, 4 bottles of Eagle Rare, bottle of Elmer T Lee, and 1 Henry McKennan 10 year.

kicking myself I didn’t grab the 8 bottles of Basil 10 year Black Label(never seen it in stores before)

Been looking for ER recently for a coworker and haven’t seen a bottle. Have however seen the Basil Hayden at a couple places here in Houston. Weird how that works.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.